SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Armed Citizen...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Armed Citizen... Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
... I really don't understand why you young snowflakes...

"Young snowflake"

I'm retired and on SS.

quote:
... think you need to be near naked to do yard work.

I don't need to be. I choose to be. I love having the sun on my skin. I enjoy being out there doing yard work in nothing but a pair of shorts, a hat (to keep the verkakte horseflies off my noggin) and half boots. Once the new holster arrives, I'll reluctantly compromise by adding a tank top for a cover garment--but I won't like it.

Though the other day, whilst mowing the lawn on a hot, sunny day, I stopped the mower in the driveway and walked over to converse with a neighbour for a moment. Came back, plunked myself down in that black mower seat and... *OUCH*! Was a bit... "warm" Wink

quote:
Of course growing up in an era where Air Conditioning was reserved for the wealthy may have something to do with that.

I grew up similarly. Never had air conditioning until about eighteen years ago or so, when we had the furnace upgraded. My wife's allergist recommended it for allergy relief for her. Admittedly, that has somewhat decreased my ability to tolerate really hot, humid weather, but it is what it is.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
But I did find stashing it in the waistband at 4 o'clock seemed workable, so I'm going to order a thin, light Kydex IWB holster for it today. I think that will work.

Good luck. I hope that works.

Got it in the other day. Here's how it rides with a pair of gym shorts:

Wore that rig today while doing 1-1/2 hours of yard work in moderate temps with a moderate breeze. Similar shorts + tank top. Trim-mowed with a manual push mower, string-trimmed, did the main mowing on the ZTR mower. Wouldn't have known it was there.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Something else to consider: I figured out years ago just how vulnerable I was while working on a vehicle in a garage alone. After having someone try and walk into my garage on two separate occasions, I started to post a large caliber pistol either on me or under the hood somewhere. If I am working underneath, I lay it in a rag with tools alongside, always within reach.

Those people did not turn out to have ill intent, but it will get you to thinking about the possible outcomes.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7253 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post