SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hurricane Ida....everyone be safe!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Ida....everyone be safe!! Login/Join 
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
I was finally able to leave my neighborhood Wednesday afternoon. Street is still flooded, but a modestly high vehicle can get through.

We are all doing fine, our house not so much. Our neighbors balcony from his beautiful log home tore off and landed on my roof causing significant structural damage. It had already begun raining into my kitchen due to the shingles and flashing being ripped off the roof. The rain came through nearly every lighting fixture in the house. We had buckets and pots and anything that could hold water catching it as best we could. Our efforts were rewarded with the saving of some unfinished custom casework I had been building as well as saving much of the contents of our home.

While our neighborhood did flood about a foot higher than it did during Hurricane Isaac, our home once again was one of the very few not flooded. I had pulled my Tundra and 4RUNNER up as close as I could to our house to gain as much elevation as possible. Judging by the fact that the water was up onto the door panels, I was sure that both vehicles were gone. Next day I open them up and they're both dry... amazing!

When the surge came in my son and I managed to get two of my three generators up high enough that we saved them. However with the water coming from the lights I couldn't hook up to my electrical panel, but I am able to use the heavy extension cords I used to use before I wired up the panel.

I'm currently at the Texas home my former partner from my military police days. I'm only here a couple of days to get my guns and ammo in a safe place then it's back to LaPlace to deal with the recovery. As I told my Mom and Sister; this is simply part of the reality of living in South Louisiana.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yikes. I'm sorry about your roof and the rest.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
Para,

Your offer to help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

We should be OK. We have most of what we need and a couple of local stores are up running on generator, just have to deal with the heat and humidity.

We live in a neighborhood with some friendly people, we're looking out for one another. Yesterday, several members of a law enforcement agency from Ohio was going door to door checking on residents to see if any critical supplies were needed. I can't remember the name of the town they were from. They stated they were just working in St. Charles parish for however long they're needed. I'm sure they'll be back around at some point in time.

I don't know what services are available outside of our area. I did manage to get gas this morning after a 3 hour wait. I've seen an increase in service vehicles on the road over the past couple of days.

At least I'm mobile now and can lend help where needed. It's possible I can help out at work as early as tomorrow, I just have to get gas for the company van now.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 621 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
I lost three cars in my garage under my house. Rain was so intense that we got 9" in about 3 hours. Water in the garage rose to about 30". Basement also flooded.

Lost a 2014 BMW X-1 M-line, a 2017 Chevy SS M/T and a 2013 60th Anniversary Edition 427 Corvette convertible. My heart aches.

Insurance should cover the cars, but not the flood in the house. I'm just glad that we're OK especially when I see some of the damage some others suffered. We're about 6 miles south of Lambertville - if you watched the Weather Channel during the storm you have some idea what it was like here.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1451 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pizza Bob:
My heart aches.
I can imagine.

You guys who were in the path, just let us know if there is anything we can do.

Posts: 107688 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those local…….

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me for any assistance you need. I’m more than happy to help. Don’t worry about availability of gas. I literally have a couple “boat” loads to use if need be, to put in my truck to get to you and if you need for a generator, car or truck. I’ve already driven to MS to fill my cans. If you are unable to, Ill take yours with me also

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snwghst, you're the man!!!

Posts: 849 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Estimated power restoration dates

https://www.entergy.com/hurricaneida/etr/

9/25 for me. Hope I get surprised

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
This no electricity is for the birds.

But thank God we didn’t have any damage

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Live about 15 air miles east/south east of Charlie 12. Lost hard power Sunday 830pm / got a generator tue am and hard power came back on ay 330pm tue afternoon / Lost some roof shingle tips but needed a new roof anyway / about 30 ft of wood yard fence. but all things considered we made out pretty good compared to others to our south and east side. August 2016 had 41 inches of flood water in house but stayed dry this time. Keep others in your thoughts and prayers. ................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
We just got our power back 45 minutes ago. It is HOT.

Big thank you to all our local and out of state utility workers here working their asses off to restore our power

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:

Big thank you to all our local and out of state utility workers here working their asses off to restore our power

A couple of days ago the estimated date for power to be restored for us was September 29th. The last I heard they have revised that to September 17th. Either way I'm going to have to make at least one more run for gasoline. I came back from Texas with 100 gallons, but much of that went to relatives and neighbors.

We sustained major damage to roof rafters and apparently that caused damage to the electrical circuits on that side of the house. So... even if we get power back I won't be able to turn it on in the house until I get an electrician in here.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Dang, scary stuff. A homeowner in New Jersey videoed a twister from inside his house as it tore through his neighborhood and essentially destroyed his home.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRyHNjVY/

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30421 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parallel:
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:

A couple of days ago the estimated date for power to be restored for us was September 29th. The last I heard they have revised that to September 17th. Either way I'm going to have to make at least one more run for gasoline. I came back from Texas with 100 gallons, but much of that went to relatives and neighbors.

We sustained major damage to roof rafters and apparently that caused damage to the electrical circuits on that side of the house. So... even if we get power back I won't be able to turn it on in the house until I get an electrician in here.

Costco in Baton Rouge has been doing great for getting gas. They have waved the membership requirements. And gas was still $2.40 when I got some this morning.

Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up Charlie.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Air conditioning- the greatest invention evaar

Posts: 107688 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/news...turn-to-new-orleans/

Full restoration of electricity to some of the hardest-hit areas of Louisiana battered to an unprecedented degree by Hurricane Ida could take until the end of the month, the head of Entergy Louisiana warned Saturday.

At least 16 deaths were blamed on the storm in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

Ida damaged or destroyed more than 22,000 power poles, more than hurricanes Katrina, Zeta and Delta combined, an impact Entergy President and CEO Phillip May called “staggering.” More than 5,200 transformers failed and nearly 26,000 spans of wire — the stretch of transmission wires between poles — were down.

“The level of devastation makes it quite difficult or near impossible to get in and fully assess some places,” said May of five southeastern Louisiana parishes facing the longest delays. The company is estimating full power restoration by Sept. 29 or even longer for some customers.

About a quarter of New Orleans residents have power back, including all the city’s hospitals, and the city’s 27 substations are ready to serve customers, said Deanna Rodriguez, Entergy New Orleans president and CEO. Most customers should have power back by Wednesday, Entergy said.

One of the parishes facing long delays for power restoration is Terrebonne, where volunteers in the parish seat of Houma handed out ice, water and meals to shell-shocked storm survivors Saturday. Houma is roughly 55 miles (90 kilometers) southwest of New Orleans.

Posts: 19599 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
God bless linemen.

Heat, bugs, snakes, gators…they’ve got my utmost respect.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My power came back up a day ago, supply not completely stable yet, but mostly. lots of work still going on around me

even more surprising is my Cox cable and internet works also

posted Hide Post
My kid tells me his power is back on and he is returning to NOLA tomorrow.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16112 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post