New
Find
Notify
Tools

canning soup Login/Join 
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted
I have never canned soup or anything for that matter. I understand that there is water bath canning and pressure canning.

But can you can a soup that is an emulsion? Will the emulsion break during the canning process?

I am a single guy that loves soups and its just easier to make a whole pot of soup and save them for later.

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
water bath canning is only safe for high acidic foods (pickled foods, fruits) as the acidity will assist in the preservation of the foods.

Pressure canning is needed for low acid foods or any meat products (the higher heat is needed to kill off any bacteria)

Most emulsions will settle, but can usually be brough back during the heating process. I would search for published recipes of your favorite soups and work off those first, canning your own recipes without established testing can be dangerous.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Why not just freeze it in single or multiple sizes? We've doing that for years. Heat seal food savers work great.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Soup is already in a can, why take it out and put it back? Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12441 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15487 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Why not just freeze it in single or multiple sizes? We've doing that for years. Heat seal food savers work great.

Jim

This was my thought. Freeze it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jim

I have limited freezer space and tons of pantry space. Plus being able to can food can't be a bad thing.

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Apphunter:
quote:

Jim

I have limited freezer space and tons of pantry space. Plus being able to can food can't be a bad thing.

Canning is likely to change the flavor more than freezing because of the heat required.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
We use those plastic grated Parmesan cheese containers from the deli section (salsa works too) to freeze home-made soup, sauces, chili, etc. for later. They hold about a pint. After the soup freezes, you can pop out the frozen cylinders and put them in a freezer bag so as to re-use the container for the next batch.

Posts: 6509 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Canning homemade soups can be dangerous, unless you are using an approved/tested recipe.

Start here.

I can a fair amount of chicken and beef stock. I just make a large batch and do 8-10 quarts at a time. Anything more complicated than stocks, though, get either frozen or freeze-dried. It's easier and safer.

Posts: 20130 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The University of Georgia, through/with the Government Agency (I can't recall which one right this moment), created a standard.

What they have done, among other things, is dispel all of the old granny recipes that were not safe.

It's a great place to learn about the safe way to preserve food. There's a lot to it, so get some coffee brewing and a notebook.

Best wishes to you.

Click Here for the National Center For Home Food Preservation

Posts: 11863 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Apphunter:
quote:

Jim

Canning is likely to change the flavor more than freezing because of the heat required.

Maybe. There’s rules for canning soups as to what works well, what does not and should be part of the final prep. Like chicken and noodle, don’t can the noodles.

My favorite is ham and bean when there’s a leftover ham bone (honey baked works well here) to work with.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2366 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post