SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, I saw this commercial for Guinness Beer and I couldn't believe my eyes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, I saw this commercial for Guinness Beer and I couldn't believe my eyes Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I can't be the only person who has noticed this.

In this 2015 commercial for Guinness Blonde, a particular image is used which should have no place in a beer commercial unless they're attempting to promote swill.

"Robbers' Roost" Jacob Riis, Five Points 1888
quote:
The place depicted as “Robbers’ Roost” was at 59½ Mulberry Street. The building on the right was a “stale-beer dive” where drinkers could stay all night if they bought a few glasses. Stale beer was left outside legitimate taverns in barrels for pickup by brewery wagons. This stuff was stolen and various chemicals added to clarify it and make it foam. The resulting poisonous swill was sold for 2¢ a glass. The young ladies hanging out the window probably offered other services as well.

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good eye. I would've not seen that. Smile

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1944 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I bet the American Ad Agency didn't know who or what the photo was. They just thought it was a great photo of the shanty Irish in NYC 1880's. Guinness is about to put a brewery here in Baltimore, "The City that Bleeds" should make for a great brew. I can guarantee there will be few Irish working there except those imported. We must remember that it's no longer Irish owned but British. Still good stuff. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
I bet the American Ad Agency didn't know who or what the photo was. They just thought it was a great photo of the shanty Irish in NYC 1880's.
That's precisely my point.

I recognized the image immediately because I've studied the history of the photographic image all the way back to the point where cameras existed, but a way to record images had not yet been devised (the camera obscura was originally devised as an aid to draw or trace images projected onto a ground glass screen, but that's another story.)

Robbers' Roost is an iconic image, and any serious photographer should recognize it.

The point of all this is that whomever produced that commercial should have known better. Then again, these days, I imagine the producer to be some snot-nosed twenty-something who simply searches the internet for images without the slightest clue of their context.
And that's how an image of kill-you-for-twenty-cents robbers and nasty prostitutes hanging out at a poison beer joint gets into a commercial that's intended to compel you to buy beer!
Most people who see the commercial will not know the difference, but that does not change the nature of that photograph or the absurdity of its appearance in a beer commercial.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
BTT, for anyone who may give a shit

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Fascinating. Thanks for the history lesson, Para.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If anyone cares, the area that was Five Points is now the courthouse district. "El Chappo" Guzman is being held in the federal holding jail maybe two hundred yards from where that photo was likely taken.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Great catch, cool photo and history

Posts: 23564 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Robbers' Roost is an iconic image, and any serious photographer should recognize it.

While not a student of photography I do have an interest in history. The image of Robber's Roost (and it's story) is commonly found by anyone with even a passing interest in American history of that era. I have come across that photo literally dozens upon dozens of times.

I don't know what "BTT" means.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hell, you can buy a t-shirt with that image on it. Again, anyone in a position to assemble the images for that commercial should have known better.

BTW, for anyone interested in early American documentary photography, check out the body of work of Jacob Riis. You will get a glimpse of the 19th Century you've not before seen, and it isn't pretty.

http://www.visitribe.com/sites...acob-a-riis-foto.jpg

http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/scms...tos/riis/riis102.jpg

https://classconnection.s3.ama.../riis_five-cents.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pini...62c2c0a3dd77606d.jpg

btt means back to the top

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Para.

You're right they should have known better. I don't know much about the history of photography but this is fascinating.

Neat intersection of technology and everyday life. Amazing how some technology causes massive changes and thought. Napoleon's cook was inadvertently responsible for Armstrong landing on the moon, the washing machine completely changed the work week and how we look at belongings, and the camera brought images from the battlefield and slums directly to the breakfast table.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Awesome thread. I love the broad strokes of knowledge that this forum canvasses. Thank you for the look into this bit of history.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine was watching TV with me when I saw this. I said that whoever asembled the images for that commercial is clueless. He said "I don't know anything about that picture. Does that make me ignorant?"

I said- while pointing to the TV- "If it were your job to know such things, I'd say yes, but it's not your profession, is it?"

The person who gathered those images (not the editor of the commercial, mind you, but rather, the person or persons responsible for gathering the old still photos from the internet) should have known better.

Here's an idea- don't use college interns to gather the materials, and consider having a review process before the images are approved for use. This assumes that anyone at Guinness or the advertsising agency cares.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
There is a great little excerpt from the book by Riis on that link

How the other half lives

Posts: 23564 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Interesting x2: interesting topic and it's always interesting to be surprised by the vast diversity of expertise and knowledge here.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12752 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
I swear, a day doesn't pass that I don't learn something here. Thanks Para!

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Have you contacted Guiness? I would be interested in their response.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25441 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
I don't recall seeing the Guiness ad but, I have seen the "Robbers' Roost" photo many times in various publications.

Lack of research seems to the norm thses days.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Interesting x2: interesting topic and it's always interesting to be surprised by the vast diversity of expertise and knowledge here.

Indeed

Fascinating thread. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
If anyone cares, the area that was Five Points is now the courthouse district. "El Chappo" Guzman is being held in the federal holding jail maybe two hundred yards from where that photo was likely taken.

That's pretty funny, really.

Did the people/govt of the time do that on purpose, turn a formerly seedy area known for that sort of shit into an area of govt buildings in part to make a point or otherwise erase it?

Like, screw your crack houses - here's a new courthouse...?

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post