SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, I saw this commercial for Guinness Beer and I couldn't believe my eyes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, I saw this commercial for Guinness Beer and I couldn't believe my eyes Login/Join 
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Interesting history info. I don't think I would have paid enough attention to a Guinness ad to notice that, good catch

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
BTW, Martin Scorsese mimicked the Jacob Riis photograph in a scene from Gangs of New York

Martin Scorsese is the ultimate film aficionado. Quentin Tarantino doesn't have jackshit on Scorsese. See the kids who are running in front of the camera and looking back at it? If you watch some of the very earliest films from the Lumiere Brothers and from Thomas Edison, you will see kids doing the very same thing. If the camera was mounted on a trolley and filming was done while the trolley was in motion, kids would run in front of it and keep looking back. This is instantly recognizable once you've seen those films. I've no doubt it was to these early films Scorsese was nodding.

Scorsese also paid homage to Sergei Eisenstein for his Odessa steps sequence in the film Battleship Potemkin. (The scene in Gangs of New York where the soldiers open fire on the draft riot protesters). Specifically, the way Scorsese shot the scene and, more importantly, the way it was edited.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107722 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I once saw a showing of Battleship Potemkin with a live orchestra providing the music and a few sound effects like explosions. It was great.

That's a cool connection between the photos and filmmakers. ^

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post