SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long do you think you can survive without food AND water at your current age and state of health?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long do you think you can survive without food AND water at your current age and state of health? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
5 days? 7? 10? 2 weeks?

And, what's the longest have you gone without food AND water?

I've read that it varies, but the general answer is 3 days to 2 weeks without water. However, without just food, but having access to water, you can last much longer. Of course, do not try this at home.

Q

Posts: 26419 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. I can’t answer for myself in absolute terms, but I’ve come to the conclusion that I could survive without water longer than the people with water bottles grafted to their hands who can evidently barely make it across the street these days without “hydrating” every few steps.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna say for about as long as anybody. I'm pretty squared away. I just don't know what that number would be. I'd think 2 weeks is really pushing it. and that would be assuming moderate temperatures. In serious heat. Ha. 5 max.

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
No water ? Is scotch allowed instead?

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Water?? I think that’s a pretty much constant from human to human. I don’t think anybody can go much more than 4-7 days.

Food.......let’s just say I have “prepared for winter”. Smile. I could go a fairly long time on internal reserves. I’d probably last a solid 3-4 weeks or so without food. I mean I’d run down a Zebra and eat it raw long before that but I digress

The more important question is how long could I go without bourbon.....I shudder to think. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The generally accepted approximation is 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I can just see me robbing the Pizza driver now.
“We only carry $50 in cash!!!”
“Screw that, all the pizzas in a heat bag NOW!!”

I like pizza. Frown

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I have been without water or food no more than a day & a half. Got pretty thirsty. No food only, maybe 3+ days. Got weak & beginning poor conceptual thinking.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
16 days without food, and 3 days without water.

After 3-4 days, the no food got very easy, but at the end of the third day, the lack of water brought on quite a bit of pain in the joints, muscle cramps, headache and I was in and out of sleep.

When in the "sleep/awake" state, the cyclic/repetitive "themes" were very difficult to endure. And the "weakness" is very obvious, but only becomes apparent when you start the transition out of the thing. (and people think acid is a trip...)

I do not recommend it as a deliberate place to put oneself.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43902 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
4 hours with internet access. 1 hour without.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I'm screwed.
I'd be more concerned with what to do when I ran out of insulin in my pump...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Without water or food 3 to 5 day’s sounds correct
Water is the factor, not so much food

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4838 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
In my early 20’s I got into juice fasting, (no food) I went 30 days 4x in the course of two years and did a 60 day fast with no food, just veggie and fruit juices. After a couple weeks, you just think about other things. Was running at the same time, 3 miles a day. Did a 5K “tromp for the tillers” at a place called “El Toro” marine base So. Cal.(now closed)

Water, liquid, no longer than 2 days without. Can’t handle that shit.

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For what it’s worth veggie and fruit juices are still dumping sugar and calories into your system. Unlike water vs food.

Not to take away from SIGMOLDs particular brand of crazy that would have had me knocking over both the afore mentioned pizza guy and any liquor store on the way home.

Point is sheer food(calories/nutrients). Vs pure water hydration the average human isn’t lasting more then 4 days or so without water but can go a fairly long time without food.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Six and a half days

I;ll give you my answer in six and a half days.

Posts: 107626 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Order of the Arrow induction some 24 years ago... I could sweat and labor all day in July in the Ozarks on the egg sandwich (I hate eggs) and OJ I was given that morning.

Now: I can't even make it a day without a Mountain Dew without the DTs kicking in or an hour without air conditioning.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I went around 4-5 days without water (and food). Not sure the exact duration. Bad systemic infection, started vomiting up anything that went down, even a single gulp of water.

By the time the paramedics got to me, I was hallucinating and morbidly dehydrated. I no longer had a detectable pulse (three paras tried). Ended up 4 days in ICU, and was not originally expected to survive.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Not long enough, however long it ends up being.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
As in starting an involuntary fast right now because I don't have anything stored or access or a supply of clean water or the ability to clean water?

Or do i get to count what i have set aside?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I can survive without food and water for the rest of my life.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post