SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me find an auto part for my FIL please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me find an auto part for my FIL please. Login/Join 
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted
My FIL is a great guy but his google fu is weaker than mine. (Mine is currently failing me)

What he is looking for is a driver's front bucket seat for a 1991 Ford F150 XLT. I am searching local auto salvage without much luck...

I was hoping eBay might have something but I'm only seeing bench seats.

Any suggestions guys? I am my FIL's only "son" and he's a great man and patient teacher. He hardly ever asks for any help so I'd love to come through for him.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
If you have a local junkyard, call them. They have a network they can post a need on and find out who has it etc.

I got a pretty obscure tractor part that way. Nearest tractor parts yard was in Ohio but they didn't have it. Put it up on their network and got one out of Nebraska a few days later, shipped direct to me in Maine.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15252 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
driver's front bucket seat for a 1991 Ford F150 XLT

Try here, they seem to list a bunch of seats for that year. https://www.partshotlines.com/...ckup/front-seat.html

Or Here
https://dicksautoparts.com/c-1...placement-seats.html

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys. I am expanding my search now. Paul, I have a call into my local salvage yard I will keep my fingers crossed.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
Try car-part.com. You can search inventory at wrecking yards across the country

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you seats are notoriously difficult to source and expensive when found. I would put some effort into rebuilding what you have.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5154 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I've got the same issue. I have a '99 Chevy S10 I bought new. I rarely drive it, maybe once a month. It goes to home depot, lowes, the plant nursery, stuff like that. It still looks very good, runs and drivers very well.

The upholstery is still very good but the seat will not not adjust. NEVER LOAN A VEHICLE OUT, BETTER TO HELP SOMEONE RENT ONE.

In all the years I've owned it I never moved the seat. Let a short person move the seat up, and now it won't move back. It's been in the shop for 2 weeks. They tell me the slider rail things are worn out and binding, something about ball bearings. I've been down to the shop, it will NOT adjust back.

We're trying to find a drivers seat for it. All the ones we've come across have bad upholstery and need redoing.

I may end up just buying a functional seat and reupholstering it.

I'd like to buy a new truck, but my daily driver is my Camry, and I just can't justify a new or newer-ish truck since I don't need one very often.

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Might try a WTB ad on CL.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with the seat? A used seat that is in good shape and matching is hard to find. The salvage yard may remove and store a seat that isn't trashed, but mostly they are left in and exposed to the elements and vermin because the doors or windows are left open, have been removed or never had them in the first place. Can it be repaired?

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I've got the same issue. I have a '99 Chevy S10 I bought new. I rarely drive it, maybe once a month. It goes to home depot, lowes, the plant nursery, stuff like that. It still looks very good, runs and drivers very well.

The upholstery is still very good but the seat will not not adjust. NEVER LOAN A VEHICLE OUT, BETTER TO HELP SOMEONE RENT ONE.

In all the years I've owned it I never moved the seat. Let a short person move the seat up, and now it won't move back. It's been in the shop for 2 weeks. They tell me the slider rail things are worn out and binding, something about ball bearings. I've been down to the shop, it will NOT adjust back.

We're trying to find a drivers seat for it. All the ones we've come across have bad upholstery and need redoing.

I may end up just buying a functional seat and reupholstering it.

I'd like to buy a new truck, but my daily driver is my Camry, and I just can't justify a new or newer-ish truck since I don't need one very often.

I’m no seat expert but I question how a seat that’s never been moved can develop worn out slider rails and ball bearings. Seems a little fishy to me. Maybe something fell down into the seat track or adjuster mechanism and jammed it? I’ve had numerous vehicles, GM and others, that are older than yours, and the seats still move even on the ones that are thrashed pretty thoroughly by the time I get them.

Posts: 26926 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. More background; My FIL called me and I could tell he was frustrated by the search for this seat.

He said the seat (I'm hoping it is a bracket) has been welded before and he thinks it cannot be welded again.

I told him I'd search for a seat and I would be over on Saturday to take a look at it. He's not stranded or anything and seemed to be mollified that I was coming his way on Saturday. He's a couple of hours away over on the west coast of FL.

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Try LKQ. It's a nationwide network of wrecking yards.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Refurbish what he has or see if a much newer version can be made to fit.
They are. after all, 29 years old and finding something "nice" is a tall order.

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ The shop has had the seat in and out several times. When out they've turned it upside down to inspect etc, and try to fix. The auto upholstery shop, 2nd opinion, agrees. Some part of the rail system just wore out and now it just doesn't slide any more.

From over the years it just wore down. There are no new parts available. Things wear out, break, etc. Shit happens.

I've really got no complaints. It has been a very good vehicle for what it is. It just keeps running great, drives great, etc and just won't quit.

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Can you trade places with the passengers seat? It doesn't need to adjust.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CT Dakota
posted Hide Post
Check a "pick and pull" lot. We have Garden Street over here in Fort Myers. You can check their inventory on line but you got there and remove the part from the old are yourself.

Posts: 1162 | Location: SW Florida,USA | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
It sound like all you need is the seat bracket setup. Try this place... they sell Ford Pickup seat brackets. Crew cab or ???

https://corbeau.com/ford-f100-...83-95-seat-brackets/

https://corbeau.com/ford-crew-...83-91-seat-brackets/

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

I have searched though all the suggested online venues and see that there are some parts out there for brackets and other parts. I did not find an entire seat but I don't know that I need a whole seat. I will know more when I get there on Saturday to see what's up.

As an aside, my FIL suffers from Parkinson's and it has really degraded him. I spoke to my MIL last night and she said that FIL's medication has thrown him off. She downplays everything so I am not sure what I'll be dealing with on Saturday. As I wrote before my FIL doesn't ask for much help because he's never needed it. I've always been happy to be his extra hands because I learn so much from him when we work together. He's a good man. I am somewhat worried.

Thank you all again.

Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hapevo:
Try car-part.com. You can search inventory at wrecking yards across the country

This right here. I was able to get a hookup on a "gently used" driver door for my blue 2013 Mustang that required just a wash/polish/wax to look like the rest of the car for a pretty reasonable price through them after I got hit by a drink driver last Christmas. (I ended up spending the money I saved compared to what the insurance company gave me for a strip/repair/repaint on replacing the front calipers, rotors, lines and pads.)

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post