SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who else has made the switch to progressive eyewear?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who else has made the switch to progressive eyewear? Login/Join 
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted
I did yesterday at doctors advice. I believed I was getting along pretty well with my single lens prescription yet here I am. I agreed to try them with the caveat that they will be switched back after a 30 day trial period if I do not like them.

I’m closing in on 51 years and have had prescription eyewear since I was 10 or so. Very small print, I will admit, is a problem.

I’d like to hear about your experience with these things if you would like to share them.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I'm 51, changed about 8 years ago. Took some adjustment but I'm good with them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16122 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'm going to follow this one as I can't see up close at all with my glasses on. Things clear up at about 4 feet away.

I tried bifocals but I still had to take them off to read so what's the point? I think the doctor screwed up the prescription.

Posts: 45402 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Progressives for at least the last 6-8 years. No problems adjusting and they work as they are supposed to.

This probably is not the realm of budget optical shops. You need a good optician to get the measurements correct for placement and a good lab using quality lenses to get it right.

Good glasses are like good riflescopes. Expensive but worth it.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Have had progressives for at least 5 yrs. no problem adjusting, my eyes and brain did the work. Be honest with your optician about how you sit, and where you like your glasses to sit on your face. They measure based off of what you tell them and what you say you’re using them for (computers, detail work vs reading). Choose the best progressive lens option they provide- this is not where you want to skimp.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5359 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I've been using them for 8 years and they have worked well. No problems.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7211 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I tried progressives several years ago. Hated them. The "no go zones" on the sides drove me absolutely nuts. Then, last time I got a prescription update, Perle Vision had come out with their HD lenses, which reduced the "no go zone" to a very small area.

Adding the anti-scratch coating, the anti-glare treatment and them being Transitions® lenses, it was pretty spendy. Around $700, if memory serves. But they work great.

I still tend to remove them when I don't need them, but I leave them on a lot more than any other glasses I've ever had before.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I turned 60 last summer and I've been wearing progressive bifocals for about 20 years now. IIRC, the initial adjustment to them was pretty fast, and I don't think twice about it anymore other than having to tilt my head up a bit to read close up. I still find myself taking them off sometimes when the print I'm trying to read is just the wrong size.

Posts: 7275 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've used progressive lenses the last 25 years. Oddly they have allowed better inspection visually as I've become more conservative. Also better at target range.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Wearing progressive lenses for at least 20 years. I've had no problems at all. I've found it a easy adjustment. And like signewt said, better at the range for my 61 year old eyes.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7660 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have been wearing them for 20 years now. They work well for me. Stairs can be challenging.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4018 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I’ve been wearing progressive lenses for around one year and I like them. It did take a few weeks before I was 100% comfortable with them, particularly while at the computer and while walking down stairs. Now they go on my face first thing in the morning and don’t come off until bedtime.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
At Costco.......

Yep, had the lasik surgery 18 or so years ago, eliminated the need for glasses/contacts that I wore since a yout.

He cautioned as I got older I'd need glasses still, so in the late 50's I've found that distance is just a bit blurry, and reading was ok but could be clearer.

Got progressives and they have been fine mostly for night issues riding, driving, TV.

The transition is simple, if you need readers and some mid to distance correction go for it, no reason to have multiple glasses around or carry.

Once you get them, if you spend a lot of time on the computer then order a second pair of progressives for the computer, they move the shape of the three magnifications so you can see the screen better, vs having to tilt your head. Saved my neck, I keep them in the office.

Did I mention Costco? Big Grin

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I tried progressives several years ago. Hated them.
I'm with you. I'm nearsighted with my distance vision being pretty good (good enough where I can get away without glasses at all). Hated everything about the progressives except the nice Oakley frame they were in. Went back to buying a bunch of single vision readers to deal with up close, and threw them around the house where I might need them. Most of the time I have a pair in my pocket just in case.

Until my vision gets worse, I'm not doing the progressive thing again.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Took getting used to, a few days to a week, but it was worth it for me. Love them! Cool

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3931 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a year into them now at 50 and I've adjusted to them but can't stand to drive in them. Feel like I have tunnel vision and it's really distracting. My prescription isn't strong for distant at all, so I prefer driving without them. I got a second pair just for computer work (8-12 hours daily) that are magnificent. Made for mid to very close, they're worthless past 4 feet. but those 4 feet look spectacular.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm on my 3rd pair of progressive lenses. I was originally set-up with my center a little lower than "standard" and I like them for the most part.

Took about a week to get used to them.

Here are a few mistakes I made:
  • first pair was from Costco in Canada (I was living in Calgary at the time). One of the coatings began to chip off about 2 months after I moved back to the US, and total time was about 10 months. I couldn't get Costco US and Costco Canada to coordinate to get new glasses. I need to see and I'm not going to ruin my eyesight over a pair of $100 glasses so I switched to my Houston eyecare provider (eye surgeons, optometrists, and glasses/contacts under 1 roof). Lesson Learned: I was going back and forth between Canada and US often enough I should've bought my bifocals in US. This is a mistake that not very many people can learn from.
  • Second pair is great and much higher quality coatings. Zero complaints. However, since I was back in US decided to get back into shooting so I had a 2nd tinted pair made with WileyX safety/shooting glasses. Here is the biggest mistake: I had my WileyX shooting glasses done as bifocals. I could position my head OK to shoot rifles off the bench, but skeet/trap and action shooting with pistols/rifles was a nightmare. On shotgun sports, the damn bird would transition between distance and reading on the progressives. Action shooting with rifles/pistols wasn't as bad as shotgun sports, but still had the target transitioning between reading and distance. Lesson Learned: Get your shooting glasses as single vision distance only.
  • Third pair of clear glasses original arrived with the center at the "standard" (i.e. lady either faked or was incompetent at measuring center of my existing bifocals and just had them fabricated "standard"). I tried it for 2 weeks before declaring no joy due to headaches and still wasn't used to them (original bifocals was fine in a week). They replaced for free and all is well. My shooting glasses were converted to single vision distance and I now can only blame my lack of skill for shooting outcomes. Lesson Learned: Should've said something sooner when I realized the center point was right. I thought it was just the stronger prescription.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23329 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Progressives for 40+ years

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Avoiding
    slam fires
    Picture of 45 Cal
    posted Hide Post
    Not trying to discourage you but my experience was a disaster.
    walked out of the office after they fitted them and promptly fell off the curb.
    Went right back in ,got some band aids for the bleeding.
    Told the Do no way in hell and to get me back my trifocals.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    I used them successfully for a number of years before I had cataract surgery and don't wear glasses now except to read. There are instances where it takes some getting used to them, but I think they're worth the money.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post