SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Teen pays tribute to fallen Marines with prom dress design
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teen pays tribute to fallen Marines with prom dress design Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
There is some hope for the younger generation Cool

A high school student is honoring 25 fallen Marines with her prom dress – which reportedly took her two years to make.

Aubrey Headon, who attends Rochelle Township High School in Rochelle, Ill., designed the patriotic dress to resemble an American flag, with streamers of red and white that flow down the blue skirt. The matching blue halter top features embellishments that look like stars.

However, it’s not the striking color scheme that has sparked attention — it’s the detail. On the red and white ribbons are 25 names printed in white and black belonging to the members of the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, also known as 3/5 or Darkhorse, that were killed in action between September 2010 and April 2011 while conducting operations in the Sangin District of Helmand Province in Afghanistan.

Hearing about the battalion inspired Headon to pay tribute to the men’s sacrifice.

“I wanted to wear this tribute dress [to] my senior prom so the memories of the guys who fell in Afghanistan for our right to live how we do and do what we do every day is carried on,” the teen said to Yahoo Lifestyle. “I don’t want them to fade into nothing.”

Headon told Yahoo Lifestyle, the idea sparks after she met Gretchen Catherwood, a mom of one of the fallen men.

“She started the Darkhorse Lodge to help combat veterans. I do a fundraiser every year to donate to the lodge,” Headon said.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifest...n-marines-prom-dress

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good girl.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody can fuss about that gesture, way to go young lady!!

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Well done, young lady. God bless!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang, what a great young lady. Unreal she made it herself. A great design. Nice work Aubrey Headon.

Posts: 7560 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is my screen blurry?

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Why is my screen blurry?

Same reason mine is.
Great young lady.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the Marines from that unit produced a documentary call “For The 25”.

https://youtu.be/GkpNZWf8lw0

Posts: 143 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: May 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weiser09:
One of the Marines from that unit produced a documentary call “For The 25”.

https://youtu.be/GkpNZWf8lw0

Thank you for posting that. Well worth the time to watch. It reinforced feeling of "glad they are our side". Fantastic and brave young men. I pray they can get things straightened out.

Posts: 7560 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Bravo. What a good kid.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nobody can fuss about that gesture, way to go young lady!!

Ohh I promise there is some jackhole out there saying “oh really, hold my beer”

Awesome kid.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post