SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need an elliptical, which one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need an elliptical, which one? Login/Join 
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted
A Sole , Schwinn, other? I don't need the greatest screen/bluetooth/programs, just a good solid machine.

Anyone have a recommendation based on ownership?

Thanks for any input.
9x18

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Sole E35 I purchased in 2012.I have used it 4 to 5 times a week since then with no issue. It is a well made machine.

Posts: 872 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It isn't screen/bluetooth/programs that will increase the cost so much as quality mechanical design and build that will make it run smoothly and last.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
We have a Schwinn 470. Its been good. I did have to replace the servo motor a while back.

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would recommend an Octane elliptical.

I bought a used Octane 37e off Craigslist and it gets an hour plus daily use in our house with zero problems over the last couple of years.

I have had and used lesser models like Livestrong and they are not built for longevity.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with my Sole. I think its an E35

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Buy once, cry once

Precor

By the way tons of gyms (all businesses really) went out of business and have their stuff available for purchase at local auction houses

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
We have an Octane 3700. Not heavy on bells and whistles but built like a tank. Not cheap if you buy new but you will never have to buy another one in your lifetime.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5757 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
I replaced a 12 year old Proform last summer. It had been well used and had undergone a few DIY repairs to reach that ripe old age.

I went with a Nautilus e618 and have no complaints, so far. The wife and I each use it 3 times a week for about 40 minutes per session. It has a 22 inch stride which has a higher arc to it than the Proform so it hits the quads much more than we're used to.
I went with it over the e614 because it has a heavier fly wheel and a better warranty along with more bells and whistle which to us are less important but they are there.

I looked at some of the brands mentioned by others here but they were unfamiliar to me so, being somewhat lazy, I went with a manufacturer I had some experience with and...so far so good. We are pleased.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My local YMCA has a few different types of ellipticals but the brand I REALLY like is Precor. Their stuff is amazing.

I credit the elliptical (Precor) with helping me get into better shape than I was in high-school. It probably helped get me into the best shape of my life and helped me keep off the 25+ lbs I lost from getting into cycling pretty hardcore.

The elliptical is a wonderful workout tool. I wish you the best of luck in your search. I am a HUGE fan of the elliptical due to its low impact qualities. Smile

If you are able to it’s not a bad idea to try out a few different brands of ellipticals. The YMCA and many gyms will often give you a chance to sample their gym without joining or making any commitments. I recommend this because I cannot stand some of the ellipticals out there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 3 years ago I was able to purchase a used Precor 556i elliptical for $300. Original price on this was $5000 new and $3500 used. These are the ones used in the commercial gyms and recreation centers and had very little use. Sometimes you get lucky looking at the local classified ads. I highly recommend Precor. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
the best one that will hold shirts laundry and other things you can stack on it after you get tired of walking in place.

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I bought an Octane years ago because they had the lowest step height for my 7' basement. I can't imagine how many hours of use I've put on it with no issues at all.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
the best one that will hold shirts laundry and other things you can stack on it after you get tired of walking in place.

I was going to say the one that most likely resembles a clothes rack...

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
The elliptical is a wonderful workout tool. I wish you the best of luck in your search. I am a HUGE fan of the elliptical due to its low impact qualities.

The low impact is why I need an elliptical. I'm due for a knee replacement in the not too distant future. Pre-covid I used one at my gym and it was the best machine for me by far.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't considered some of them and I knew SIGforum wouldn't disappoint.

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My preference for an Elliptical is the one I use at my gym, a Life Fitness Clubman. Yeah, they are probably somewhere around 20 years old but they still run quietly and smoothly. The only thing that has kept me from getting one for myself is the cost. 5 years ago I looked into buying one new and the 4000 dollar cost was a real stopper for me.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5652 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HOGSTR
posted Hide Post
I've had a Life Fitness for 20 years, still going strong. Just have to tighten all the nuts down every year or so.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ozark Highlands | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a Precor for at least 10 years. No problems, works well.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
We recently got a ProForm Carbon E7. They have a deal going where if you buy a 3 year ifit subscription, they give you the elliptical for “free”.

I’ve been very happy with it and the iFit program. Also have a ProForm rowing machine that uses iFit and just sold my Peloton Bike to buy a NordicTrack bike that also uses iFit.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10944 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Had our Precor for 17 years!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post