SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Camera Repair Questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Camera Repair Questions Login/Join 
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I shot with Nikon DSLRs from 1989 through 2018. So, I understand the love for them and the hesitation that is there.
The move over to mirror less (Sony) was uneventful for me. Camera is camera.
The newer glass (all manufacturers) is quite amazing.

Posts: 3807 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have a quite complete Olympus OM-D E-M5 system (I, II and III bodies), and have always liked the compact size and especially weight of the Micro four-thirds cameras and lenses. However with the demise of Olympus, these cameras are likely to be left in the dust, so to speak.

I didn't know that Nikon had a variety of Z series mirrorless cameras. As an old OM fan I am intrigued by the Z fc, although it is sold as a deliberate retro design rather than as state-of-the-art.

At some point I will be faced with the need to switch over, either to Sony or now, I guess to Nikon. Or not, since I use my iPhone 12 more and more (but not doing travel or nature work, mostly videos of grandkids).

It will be interesting to compare sizes and weights of the Z format cameras and lenses with the OM-D series.

Posts: 18083 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The Nikon Z system is not really comparable to the Micro Four Thirds system.

The M43 system uses a sensor that is 17.3mm x 13mm.

The Nikon Z system is based around full-frame (FX in Nikon terms) sensors the same size as 35mm film frames - 36mm x 24mm. There are some APS-C (DX in Nikon terms) sensor (24mm x 16mm) Z cameras and some lower-end Z lenses designed to only cover the DX sensor, but that isn’t what the system is designed around.

All else being equal, the FX sensor being about twice the size of the M43 sensor means an FX Z lens will be a lot bigger and heavier than the comparable M43 lens.

E.g. the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 M43 lens is 74mm long, 68mm in diameter, and weighs 305 grams.

The comparable Nikon Z 24-70 f/2.8 lens (about the same field of view on an FX camera as the 12-35 on a M43 camera) is 126mm long, 89mm in diameter, and 805 grams.

There are some smaller Z lenses for DX sensor Z cameras (or for cropped shots on FX sensor cameras), but they are not nearly as good as the FX lenses that make up most of the lineup.

Most of the Z series is basically a slightly smaller version of a full-frame DSLR system.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Economically, this may be a total loss. If you repair for $800, can you get that much out of it selling used?

This assessment, to me, is foundational to the decision.

I dropped my Sony RX10 Mk IV. The repair, under an Amazon warranty, was amazing. Completely transformed the camera and made it better. So, the repair could really keep the body going for years.

If financially wise, and with lenses and flash and bag and all that you have…fixing is likely the best option.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Where did you take it for repair?
There is a Nikon auth. repair center in Skokie/Niles by the Menards store.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Any update?

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
For the $770 you should be able to buy a good used D750, possibly with some warranty from one of the big well known camera shops.

Googled used D750's, KEH comes up, haven't used them but they get 4.9 stars and close to 70,000 online reviews seems quite positive

Link Trade Sell

They are good to go. I bought many things from them. Lens, speedlights, and smaller stuff.

Their rating system is spot on. If anything the gear is often better than the rating they assing.

KEH is excellent. If they say an item is Very Good, it is at least Very Good, and many would call it Like New.

If you can get a replacement from them for less than the cost of repair, I'd strongly consider it. Or an upgrade, as that D750 is pretty long in the tooth.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Mirrorless Nikons require an adapter to use all your Nikkor lenses. I can't see myself moving to a mirrorless camera. Even if it weren't necessary to replace all my lenses, I cut my teeth on the single lens reflex camera and to not have a mirror moving at the time of exposure, would seem unnatural.

Posts: 107657 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Any update?

Yes. I wound up opting only for the sensor repair for $425. I brought a couple other lenses with me and tested them in the shop and everything was fine.

Then I acted like an idiot. I did not remember removing my memory card when I dropped the camera off. I thought they had it and that I had lost about 1,300 pics from a recent trip. I was a bit hyped up. Those pics were more important than that camera. I remember demonstrating the problem when I dropped it off but I forgot that the owner went to the back and got one of his cards to test it. I remembered this when I got home and found my memory card. I had to sheepishly call back and apologize.

Then, at home, I tested the lens that he quoted me $345 to fix the autofocus system and it was working perfectly fine too. There was never anything wrong with it. It probably wasn't focusing because of the sensor issue. I was really irritated about that but didn't call back to mention this after the way I behaved when I picked up the camera.

Still thinking about the Z6. I'm hearing rumors that the III'rd iteration is imminent and I have my eye on the Z 24-120mm f/4 S lens. That bundle is about $3K, so we'll see.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, you might stick with the mirror system, the non-Z move. For most amateurs, the classic DSLR system is more than enough performance. You take pictures while on a trip or at a sports events with your kid... meh... nothing hard.
As the mirrorless market grows, the prices for all the regular stuff will come down even more... almost to disposable levels. And there are thousands of cams and lenses aging into disposable prices but still work great. While spend the money on a whole new cam and lenses?!?!

If you are a working pro, then Z makes sense. They key is maintenance, you need factory support when your equipment gets banged up. And there are features that are applicable to working pros.

Posts: 693 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post