SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    March madness thread.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

March madness thread. Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
Go Gamecocks! Our first NCAA tourney win in 44 years. I doubt we'll get past Duke, but I'm glad we finally won. Frank Martin has done a good job with what was an abysmal bball program.

You were saying?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This tournament has truly earned its name this year, as the results so far have been maddening. Its anybody's trophy to win at this point.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Great day. Dook goes down, Louisville goes down, SEC puts three in the sweet 16, ACC down to one team

Go Big Blue

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Not only will Gonzaga make their first Final Four, they will win it all.

Yep, that's my prediction.

That's a helluva prediction, since they're gonna have to get by my Arizona Wildcats to get there. I wish I felt confident that the Cats will win it all, but I do believe they'll make it to the Final Four--their first under Sean Miller.

BTW, Gus, one of my best friends has a daughter at Gonzaga and has been vocal all season. Good rivalry. I don't think the Zags can beat them twice

Yep, Arizona wildcats to the final four. My bracket is destroyed as always. the cats can take the Zags. this time we will have Trier and PJC on the floor. Bear Down!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
quote:
Go Gamecocks! Our first NCAA tourney win in 44 years. I doubt we'll get past Duke, but I'm glad we finally won. Frank Martin has done a good job with what was an abysmal bball program.

You were saying?

WOOHOO! Always good to see Duke go down quicker than a two bit whore on Mardi Gras!

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Anybody bragging about their bracket? I'm 35/48 with 44 points. Still alive with 9 teams in final 16 and Kentucky all the way.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I've got 10 teams left. Duke getting knocked out killed me but I don't care. I was rooting for the Cocks the whole time. Amazing!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Not only will Gonzaga make their first Final Four, they will win it all.

Yep, that's my prediction.

That's a helluva prediction, since they're gonna have to get by my Arizona Wildcats to get there. I wish I felt confident that the Cats will win it all, but I do believe they'll make it to the Final Four--their first under Sean Miller.

BTW, Gus, one of my best friends has a daughter at Gonzaga and has been vocal all season. Good rivalry. I don't think the Zags can beat them twice

I have a daughter at Gonzaga now...

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
quote:

You were saying?

I'm quite happy to have been wrong. Smile

Yesterday was a good day for Gamecock basketball. The women's team made the Sweet Sixteen last night, too.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Ducks still in. Not a serious contender once they lost one of their key players. But hey, still one of the best sixteen in the nation. Wink
Altman in a good coach.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Michigan vs Oregon game will be a good one.
As a Michigan fan and an alum, I must say that the Michigan team has surprised me with its performance.

GO BLUE!!!!!!SmileSmile

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
The Michigan vs Oregon game will be a good one.
As a Michigan fan and an alum, I must say that the Michigan team has surprised me with its performance.

GO BLUE!!!!!!SmileSmile

HAIL!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Go Ducks! Big Grin

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
as a rabid anti-Duke fan and graduate of South Carolina, yesterday was a great, great day in the wide wide world of sports!!!

As a die-hard Kentucky fan, I really wanted Louisville to play UK again, but I can't have everything. GO Kentucky!

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Fun at the tournament with the Coaches Wife.

Great stuff, if she'd just kept quiet (impossible for her) it would have been seen by a few thousand people who are fans of KY, but no she had to make a spectacle of a tweet, and it's gone worldwide, ESPN, FOX< even over in the UK LOL, be careful what you wish for LOL

http://kentuckysportsradio.com...tional-media-rounds/

http://kentuckysportsradio.com...-profane-enthusiasm/

http://kentuckysportsradio.com...e-on-finebaum-today/

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
The Kentucky Wildcats are the only honest team in college basketball

link

DJ Gallo
Friday 24 March 2017 06.00 EDT Last modified on Friday 24 March 2017 10.29 EDT

The NCAA tournament field is down to the Sweet 16 weekend of games, featuring 15 collegiate programs and the Kentucky Wildcats, a D-League team that is still officially unaffiliated with the NBA.

John Calipari’s team will take the court on Friday night featuring three freshmen starters in De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk and Edrice Adebayo – all of whom are expected to go in the first round in June’s NBA draft, with Fox and Monk slated to be selected among the first few picks. This one-and-lottery-pick approach is the way it’s been at Kentucky since Calipari arrived in 2009. He had sim players taken in both the 2012 and 2015 drafts, and five in 2010. Eighteen freshmen have left Lexington after a single season since his debut season, including some of the biggest NBA stars today: John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis and Karl-Anthony Towns. Five more players were a bit slower to develop and suffered the unique Kentucky humiliation of only being able to go pro after two years in college. For shame!

Was Steph Curry's transformation into an NBA supervillain inevitable?
Read more
Kentucky’s ability to attract some of the best high school recruits in the nation every year, quickly form them into a team that wins, lose the bulk of them to the NBA and then do it all right over again has predictably earned the program its share of detractors, led by collegiate sport’s vocal “The Right Way” crowd. These are the people who want to believe NCAA sports are to be a Rockwell painting brought to life, with young men learning at the side of their sage coaches for four years on how to be the good and true leaders of a new generation.

“I want you armed for life,” Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said 12 years ago, barely able to keep a straight face on camera. “I want you to develop as a player. I want you to develop as a student, and I want you to develop as a human being.” He then added, to cash in for himself and instantly reveal how fake the previous sentiments were about a system that earns billions while paying athletes nothing: “That’s why my card is American Express.”

But through all of Coach K’s self-congratulatory propaganda – and there’s been far more than just that 30-second AmEx ad from a decade ago – what he doesn’t admit is that he’s trying to do the same thing Calipari is. The Kentucky coach is just more honest about it. Duke only pretends it’s still molding leaders. Four freshman bolting to the NBA draft in the last two years suggest Coach K is not as concerned about his players “developing as students” as he might like us all to think. In fact, Duke product Kyrie Irving believing the earth is flat suggests the Blue Devils aren’t going to class or learning beyond basketball at all.

Facebook Twitter Pinterest
“Coach Cal tells all his recruits – he told me – ‘I get guys to where they want to go. I like to make their dream come true,’” Davis said before the 2012 NBA draft when he went No1 overall. “He runs this program as if it were an NBA team. He lets us run up and down the floor … teaches us a lot of things that players in the NBA do. I would say we’re kind of getting a head start on what’s going to happen at the next level.” Today Davis is a four-time NBA All-Star and makes more than $30m a year on and off the court.

Kentucky is college basketball’s one open and unabashed NBA factory and recruits keep rewarding the program for its honesty. Five of the top 32 players in the 2017 class as rated by ESPN have committed to come to Lexington next year to replace Fox, Monk and Adebayo, and that many more will undoubtedly roll on through in 2018, as well.

The kids that go to Kentucky are signing up because they want careers as professional basketball players. Calipari isn’t forcing them away from their desired futures as school teachers or astronauts, demanding they don’t receive four-year educations. These are players who have worked their whole lives to be NBA-quality and are going to the college that gives them the best chance to go pro. It’s the same way the nation’s top-rated flute recruit is probably going to pick Juilliard over Kentucky.

Why March Madness is bad for college basketball
Read more
There’s not a recruit who lands with a power conference program that hasn’t at least entertained thoughts of a professional basketball career. The rest of the Sweet 16 is filled with top-level programs: North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona and so on. The “underdogs” are probably Xavier, Butler and No1 seed Gonzaga. Kentucky isn’t beating up tiny research colleges that don’t offer athletic scholarships and play in old, musty, 200-seat gyms. They’re just taking on an even playing field the smartest way possible. They know that none of us actually care more about a player’s grade point average than his scoring average.

That’s why continuing to root against Kentucky feels so outdated and pointless. It’s rooting against innovation. It’s rooting against best practices and actual, not faux, integrity. It’s buying into the idea that the NCAA tournament, which generates more than a billion in ad revenue, is somehow about amateurism and academics.

Stop pretending. You’re concerned about your bracket, not tournament players missing classroom time. Embrace Kentucky and their stars. Root for the overdog. The Kentucky Wildcats are the only honest team in college basketball.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm really looking forward to the UK-UCLA game. Steve Alford would love to have that win to put in his resume for the Indiana University job. Rumor is IU job is Billy Donovan's if he wants it. Would be a great fit for BD and he could compete with coach Cal in a big way.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
SC is blowing out Baylor. I love it, but that pretty much guarantees Kansas will be in the final.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Fox & UK had a Ball with UCLA

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Three SEC in elite 8
Sweet!