SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where might one find a Dinner Dress Mess jacket (USN) for a larger lad?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where might one find a Dinner Dress Mess jacket (USN) for a larger lad? Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
I am looking for a dinner dress mess jacket (two actually) one in white and one in dark navy blue (almost black) to put my USN/USNR rank and service hashmarks on.

I would be wearing this with a kilt, and proper awards on days like Veterans and Memorial Day.

I measure at a 59 inch chest, and that is too big for what the uniform makers have patterns for.

I am wanting a size 64 dress mess jacket as these things run small.

Dave

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Wish I could help but it sounds like you'll need a tailor to create them.

I empathize as I haven't been able to wear my old size 42 uniforms in more years than I like to admit.

As a retired navy mustang officer I must admit to being confused when you say you want to wear a navy mess dress jacket with naval insignia and awards with a kilt. Where is this shown in navy regs as permissible? I know there's a lot of weird combos authorized but this is one that has escaped me.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16228 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I am seeing many Chiefs - Master Chiefs and officers in kilts and mess jackets, and also Air Force and Army personnel at various events such as Burns night, Navy Ball.

I may have to stick with a Price Charlie jacket and mini medals.

The Navy has an unofficial tartan as do all other branches of US military Smile

As to the regulation number I am unsure.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks lizardman_u. I had no idea. Haven't been to a formal gathering in many decades so I wouldn't have seen such. Thinking back now my last would have been in the very early '80s. Yikes I'm an old salt! LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16228 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Naval Acadamy started a Pipe and Drum Corps in 1999.

My end of active service was 04 July 1992... I went in the USNR in Jan 1993 and separated in June 2003 as an MA3 (my ratings kept locking up for advancement to the next rank).

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
The advice for a bespoke jacket sounds right. A size 64 jacket is, to be candid, huge. Even looking for a standard suit coat, in that size at a specialty suit shop, would most likely be fruitless. I'd look for a custom tailor near a larger naval base.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
The advice for a bespoke jacket sounds right. A size 64 jacket is, to be candid, huge. Even looking for a standard suit coat, in that size at a specialty suit shop, would most likely be fruitless. I'd look for a custom tailor near a larger naval base.

I am pretty sure the suits were purchased as a size 62 to account for broad shoulders and then taken in as I am 58 across the chest, but there is no room for a finger between the tape (measured over a sweatshirt).

I also want some room under the jacket for a shoulder rig (Galco Classic Lite) as when one wears a kilt one is limited to belly band, shoulder rig, or thigh rig for concealment.

I have dropped some mass as when I measured around the navel for my kilt I was 59/5 inches, but when it arrived I had shrunk to 56 inches around the navel... so I sent it in for a resize.

I tell people my wife drugged me in my sleep and threw me in the industrial clothes dryer at the laundromat.

I gained the belly partially from too many years sedentary, and partially due to having to take insulin for type 2 diabetes.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

I am pretty sure the suits were purchased as a size 62 to account for broad shoulders and then taken in as I am 58 across the chest, but there is no room for a finger between the tape (measured over a sweatshirt).

I also want some room under the jacket for a shoulder rig (Galco Classic Lite) as when one wears a kilt one is limited to belly band, shoulder rig, or thigh rig for concealment.

I have dropped some mass as when I measured around the navel for my kilt I was 59/5 inches, but when it arrived I had shrunk to 56 inches around the navel... so I sent it in for a resize.

I tell people my wife drugged me in my sleep and threw me in the industrial clothes dryer at the laundromat.

I gained the belly partially from too many years sedentary, and partially due to having to take insulin for type 2 diabetes.

^^^^
The extra room for a Galco, plus broad shoulders really emphasizes the need for a custom jacket.

As for the belly, we used to call that "Chester drawers disease." That is your chest has dropped down to your drawers. Wink It happens to most all of us.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Questions: officer or enlisted? Retired or separated?

A kilt is not authorized in any dress uniform, there are some folks that do it and have done it, but each one in violation of uniform regulations.

There is not such regulation I can find allowing it to be worn.

And as you’ve already mentioned, wearing the uniform whip not active duty still requires adhering to all military grooming and uniform standards.

As far as I’m reading, that tartans are made to honor your military service and branch but are not authorized in official military uniform.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6324 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

A kilt is not authorized in any dress uniform, there are some folks that do it and have done it, but each one in violation of uniform regulations.

And as you’ve already mentioned, wearing the uniform whip not active duty still requires adhering to all military grooming and uniform standards.

As far as I’m reading, that tartans are made to honor your military service and branch but are not authorized in official military uniform.

The Coast Guard has an official tartan that is authorized for wear with certain uniforms for individuals participating in pipe bands. I know a few active duty members that volunteer on a pipe band for funerals. The bands are not official but wearing the Tartan is authorized. I haven't heard of a kilt/tartan being worn with a uniform except for pipe bands.
https://www.uscgpipeband.org/tartanhistory.php

5.E. U. S. Coast Guard Tartan

Active duty, reserve, retired, auxiliary, and others desiring to support Coast Guard
activities through membership in pipe bands or pipe and drum bands are authorized to
wear the Coast Guard Tartan as part of a piper’s outfit by individuals and organizations
affiliated with, but not an official part of the Coast Guard. The policy for wear of the
tartan and piper’s outfit will be drawn from military traditions rather than from Scottish
ethnic traditions.

5.E.1. Fabric Description

The “U. S. Coast Guard Tartan” is registered with a thread count of W10 R10 CGB12 R2
CGB12. “W” is white; “R” is red; CGB is Coast Guard Blue shade #3362, which
approximates the Dept. of Defense Standard Shades for Heraldic Yarns, cable #67180.

5.E.2. Use of Coast Guard Tartan

Individuals participating in pipe bands or pipe and drum bands normally wear the
uniform and insignia required by the organization, but if they are claiming Coast Guard
affiliation, they must use the official Coast Guard Tartan. Coast Guard Dinner Dress
Blue, Dinner Dress White, Service Dress Blue, and Tropical Blue uniform items may be
worn with the Tartan.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Yes, bagpipers and certain functions at the naval academy allow wear of the tartan, but those specific examples are most certainly locally authorized by the CO.

A few rare examples exist, but the tartan or a kilt are not authorized wear in US Navy uniform.

Posts: 6324 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I should add that I’m not saying don’t do it, as long as it’s respectable and doesn’t jeopardize any retirement (I’m sure it’s a benign event), then go for it.

However, before you try to go full Navy regulation top with awards and medals, I’d wear a bare Navy type jacket with the kilt and omit the dress jacket. That’s just me though, I have my own opinions on this matter that probably wouldn’t be widely accepted.

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:

Enlisted and separated.

Current Army Civilian.

I have seen many senior enlisted and officers (retired) from the Army, and Navy wearing dinner dress mess with rank, service stripes and full size or mini-medals.

I know it is proper with the kilt or formal dress to just wear mini-medals and devices (trident, surface warfare, sub service, divers, and such).

I know that it may not be within regs, but it doesn't mention the kilt in the regs, and as some senior officers were known to saw before my time of service and during my time of service "if it isn't specifically prohibited in writing do it until it is specifically prohibited".

Also I wouldn't wear any military item I haven't earned, or wear it in a manner in which to bring discredit to the branch of service.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is why I had to respectfully decline to participate in a number of events in the distant past including re-enlistments as I was unwilling to shave off my beard that I wore legally during the bulk of my naval officer career.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I was gonna chime in with the USCG authorized tartan, but someone already hit it.
Also the few guys I saw doing Amazing Grace, wore no ribbons or medals because the bagpipes get in the way. The USCG band only wear medals and ribbons when in Service Dress Blue and not playing. When playing they have several different blouse tops for different occasions, but the blouse only has a rank insignia on the sleeve and service stripes on the wrist of the same arm.

They have different uniform requirements than regular sailors. I was fortunate to have several of them (MU) under me during the oil spill and I grilled those guys about all kinds of stuff.

They were veritable cornucopias when it came to travel and filing for travel pay etc. they told me they do it a lot and had it down pat.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post