SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is anyone else here hopelessly inept with chopsticks?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is anyone else here hopelessly inept with chopsticks? Login/Join 
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Have used them in 1969-1970 while in Korea and since but was still hungry after the meal because of the time it took and do not have to worry about overeating which would cause the weight gain and having to refit the wardrobe. But have to draw the line at a bowl of soup.......................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Practice makes perfect. Asian grocery stores do have training chopsticks.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to eat so I use a small shovel

Posts: 1563 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I can pick up just about anything with Chinese profile sticks, but not so well with Japanese, or the cheap bamboo disposable ones that you have to split. With those bamboo ones, I end up using them upside down so that the big end allows more purchase.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I started to practice picking up things around the house, pencils, wash cloths. I needed to sort out my bolt/washer/nail bucket at my workbench. I used chopsticks to pick each piece up and sort them.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
As an evil Asian, I do know how to use chopsticks. I just wanted to say that I'm a third-generation Japanese-American (sansei), and I did not learn to use chopsticks until I was 13 years old. That made me kind of a black sheep of the family—I'd be the only person at the table of large family gatherings with a fork. I've always been a slow learner.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I'm also sansei, I am ok with chopsticks. To be honest, most of the time I just prefer forks and spoons. I have a native Japanese friend who also prefers Western utensils. For certain things, like ramen, chopsticks are better.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
I'd still hang with youse guys Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned to use them on my first tour in that beautiful SE Asian Paradise way back in 1965.

Never had any trouble using them since, though I realized, when I started reading this thread, that it's been a couple of years since I've been any place they were offered as eating utensils.

Bob

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
wife is OK with them,

I struggle, and just grab a fork

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post