SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aquavit – a Norwegian Christmas tradition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aquavit – a Norwegian Christmas tradition Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Linie Original is my favorite. Most easily described as caraway-flavored vodka.

“Norwegians mostly drink aquavit during Christmas and Easter, but it's gaining traction as a cocktail ingredient here in the United States...”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...d-by-the-foodist/amp

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I did not know that it is a Christmas thing.

I like it icy cold, straight, to accompany smoked fish.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I started drinking it after watching the Varg Veum series. Veum seems to drink it any time, especially if he is depressed, which is most of the time. His favorite is / was Aalborg Taffel Akvavit. My understanding is that this stuff doesn't get exported much, so I have to settle for Linie.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I had an uncle bring me back a bottle from Norway about 12 years ago. Still have the bottle. Never really knew much about the drink. But it is interesting. My bottle says Throndhjems Aquavit. Throndhjem 997-1997.

Posts: 270 | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Good for what ails ya! Some friends of Norwegian decent throw a Christmas party every year greet the guys with a ice cold shot of Aquavit. It does tickle the tonsils.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Ringnes or Aass Jule Ole preferred at the casa kablammo if available.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I've made my own version in the past.
https://www.seriouseats.com/re...n-spirit-recipe.html

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I did not know that it is a Christmas thing.

I like it icy cold, straight, to accompany smoked fish.

Long ago, I was in Norway on a midsummer-night. I’d gone there to fix a computer at the Norwegian Defense Research Center at Lillestrom that had issues. On midsummer-night (never gets very dark), just about all Norwegians attend an all-night lawn party. LOTS of partially frozen aquavit and smoked fish is consumed!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Interesting that it is aged in the hold of a ship. The rocking is said to improve it.

I did not find it improved. Kind of like drinking a lighter fluid to me.

In any event, I don't drink these days, but the flavor memory still haunts me.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Is it traditional to have the bottlet encased in ice?

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
In the winter, I stick the bottle outside in the snow. I like the coriander flavor. I recently had some vodka (can't remember the brand - I guess I drank too much of it!) that was flavored with grapefruit -- that was very refreshing.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Norwegian paint thinner. I worked about 17 Royal Caribbean cruises over the years. We drank plenty of the stuff.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I was in Tønsberg for work and had a few drinks of it. Not my favorite thing over there, but definitely memorable.

Now, Polish Żubrówka (buffalo grass vodka)? That's something I keep stocked at the house!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post