SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mississippi governor condemns high school band’s halftime show
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mississippi governor condemns high school band’s halftime show Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Absolutely disgusting Mad

Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant is condemning a high school band for a football halftime performance that he said was “unacceptable in a civilized society.”

Many are saying the performance Friday night by the band from Forest Hill High School depicted students dressed as doctors and nurses pointing toy guns at SWAT team members prone on the ground, WLBT-TV reported.

The performance was held at the high school in Brookhaven where two police officers were killed in the line of duty Sept. 29 responding to a call of shots fired, the station reported

Brookhaven’s mayor said the band director was placed on administrative leave, the station reported.

Reports said the performance was based loosely on the movie “John Q,” in which a father played by Denzel Washington takes patients at a hospital hostage in order to secure treatment for his son.

“The band’s performance does not depict the values and people in our community, and was incredibly insensitive to the students, families, law enforcement officials and the entire Brookhaven community,” Jackson superintendent Errick Greene said.

He also apologized.

The mayor of Jackson Chokwe Lumumba also released a statement.

“I offer my sincerest regrets to the Brookhaven community for the insensitivity portrayed during the Friday evening halftime show. There is an active investigation into the circumstances that led to this performance," he said, according to the station.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/mis...-bands-halftime-show

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Fire the band director
Dissolve the band
Expel the students involved

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Chokwe Lumumba? Alrighty then.

Posts: 26941 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I think was in the marching band in HS, I can't imagine participating in something like this.

Unreal.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15373 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
The Mayor and his deceased dad are members of the New Afrika Republic, yeah that investigation will go far.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...public_of_New_Afrika

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many are saying the performance Friday night by the band from Forest Hill High School depicted students dressed as doctors and nurses pointing toy guns at SWAT team members prone on the ground, WLBT-TV reported.

Wait, what? Who writes this shit? There is so much fail in this writing, I'm not sure where to even begin.

LEARN TO WRITE.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
pointing toy guns

Aren't toy guns against most school policies? Zero tolerance and all of that?

Why are we sending conservative kids off with the police when they point their fingers the wrong way, but all of the lefties get to wave these toys around with impunity?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15729 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12738 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
^^^ That's fucked up. I'm not sure what the point of this "performance" was

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Just as I thought:

https://4.files.edl.io/b432/08...9b0-2cd19c00c8e9.pdf

Page 32

quote:
1. WEAPONS (Board Policy JCBC)—
The Brookhaven School District, in addition to complying with the Gun-Free School Act, Title VIII of the Elementary and
Secondary Education Act of 1965, prohibits the possession of weapons on school property.
Prohibitions
No student, employee, or visitor may possess or carry any weapon on or about school property.
No student, employee, or visitor may possess or carry any weapon within a vehicle brought upon school property.
Weapons
Any firearm prohibited by the Gun-Free School Act, Title VIII of the Elementary and Secondary Act of 1965, and as more
specifically set forth under Policy JCBH of this district, or any weapon prohibited by the Prevention of School Violence Act,
S.B. 3349 (1994), which include, but may not be limited to, the following:
1. Any gun, rifle, pistol, taser/stun gun or other firearm of any kind, or any dynamite cartridge, bomb,
grenade, mine, or other explosive.
2. BB gun, air rifle, air pistol, Bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack,
metallic knuckles, razors and razor blades, and any sharp-pointed or edged instrument (except instructional
supplies, unaltered nail files and clips, and tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction, and
maintenance on education property.)
3. Any pocketknife or other knife.
4. Any instrument having the effect or appearance of a weapon (including utensils, imitation firearms or knives, etc.)

and page 33:

quote:
4. ZERO TOLERANCE (School Board Policy JCB)—The Brookhaven School District will call for a mandatory
recommendation for expulsion from school for those students who commit any of the following acts, unless the
recommendation is considered inappropriate for the circumstances of the act:
1. Violation of the District’s weapons policy

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15729 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those dumb-asses thought they could be the HS version of the Stanford or, Rice band Roll Eyes

Posts: 14689 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We’ll be watching Forest Hills HS and Brookhaven, MS. Better handle this.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thugs doing thug shit, ya know? Wink

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Thugs doing thug shit, ya know? Wink

Bout sums it up.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait, what? Who writes this shit? There is so much fail in this writing, I'm not sure where to even begin.

LEARN TO WRITE.

Yes quality Journalism at its finest. I do not think they even try.

Posts: 17279 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Imagine the uproar if white students lynched a black student for a band skit.

While this is beyond messed up, you cannot lay blame on or punish the students. Even if eager participants, they are minors and were instructed to do this by their band director/teacher, (and I am 100% positive someone on the administration staff knew of this beforehand) and administration staff.

The band teacher needs to go, as well as any administration staff who was aware of this and granted approval. This was not the act of one rogue teacher.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Sell the school! And return the money to the taxpayers.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24172 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Sell the school! And return the money to the taxpayers.

This. Unless you have kids in public schools, you have no idea how screwed up these schools have become.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I'm generally opposed to public education because I think education is too important to turn over to government.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24172 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember the “John Q” movie that was a sympathetic look at a man who threatens to kill hostages and assaults a police officer to secure medical treatment for his son. We are of course supposed to feel sorry for him and be outraged at the lack of major medical care for whoever needs it, but it also promotes the idea that being taken hostage and threatened with murder for an extended time is really no big deal. It’s sort of like being shot in the shoulder in the 1950s teevee western shows: “Shake it off; you’ll be fine.”

If based on that plot line, I imagine the producers of the halftime show just assumed that they were just demonstrating how it’s okay to use any means we want to put The Man in his place.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47414 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post