SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Considering three washing machines. Picked the Maytag Commercial One - It kicks butt.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering three washing machines. Picked the Maytag Commercial One - It kicks butt. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Major considerations for me are the ability to use a full tub of water. No detergent reservoir. Minimal buttons, options, frills, wifi, apps, simple.

Maytag Commerical Grade Residential Agitator

I love the simplicity of it only three dials and no digital buttons. Two water levels, full and half full. Manufactured on the commercial coin-op line.

GE 4.5 cu. ft. High-Efficiency White Smart Top Load Washing Machine with Wi-Fi

While this unit would seem to go against the no bells and whistles requirements, the wifi is an additional accessory not included with it. It has the Deep Fill option which allows me to run a full tub or add three gallons of water to their preset energy star crap levels.

Last option would be checking the local appliance store and seeing if they have any new old stock Speed Queens leftover, but I doubt that they will.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought one of the last old stock Speed Queen pairs. I'm not sorry but a few things could be improved. There is no audible signal when washing or drying is completed. The spin-out speed is slow so the clothes come out very very wet and we will pay for that on every long drying cycle both in energy and wear on the clothes. The big positive is that hopefully they will be durable but only time will tell on that. We have only owned them for ten months.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also got a mechanical Speed Queen set at the end of their run (late 2017), and have been very happy. I have not experienced Gene Hillman's problem of too-wet clothes after the spin cycle, unless it is an unbalanced load. Worth a look around; you might get lucky.

Posts: 2695 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the pre-changes SQ set. That said, as you know, they're not the same now. I'd get that Maytag you linked if I had to buy right now.

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
our basic SQ has been good in the five years or so we have had it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19223 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I'll join the chorus of the Speed Queen fans. There is a reason these are used by practically every commercial laundromat.

Posts: 6501 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All GE appliances are garbage that don't last from my experiences with several properties and rental units.

For what you're looking for, Speed Queen would be your best choice, then followed by the Maytag you spec'ed in the link.

That being said, I would never go with anything but a HE front loader anymore. They have a much bigger capacity than 3.5 cu ft so can do much larger loads. They do a great job at cleaning clothes and come out wrinkle free and are barely damp when they come out of the washer. I have a set of Whirlpool duets bought in early 2010 that I used for 4 years and my tenants are still using them and they've never had a single issue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im not impressed with our maytag high eff. top loader. I would only get a front load HE or stick with the tried and true old school top loader.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Id rather hammer my dirty clothes with a rock down by the river than depend on any GE appliance. See my thread below:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2460027944

Good luck OP, stay far away from GE.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
``````````````````````````````Id rather hammer my dirty clothes with a rock down by the river than depend on any GE appliance[/quote]

Smile Smile

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Bought the Maytag commercial one with three dials and no buttons. Hopefully it works well and is more reliable than any of the crappy ones that are sold through big box stores.

Ended up paying $758 for delivery to the room, no set up or haul away included.

Got the part I think was the failure being delivered on Monday. If I'm right then I got a working machine until the new one comes and can hopefully give away or sell the old on for $50 on Craigslist. Didn't wait to see if my internet diagnostics were correct before buying new one because I found a cracked stator when I pulled it apart so that means even if working it has a very limited lifespan.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
That should be a good machine. Our SQ is nosier than the previous small front loader we had from Sears. So that might be something you notice. No a big deal on my end. I prefer the top load washer
for sure.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The real test for this appliance is "What does the wife say?". Eek
I thought she'd want a super duper FL washer > NOPE.
Just a nice big easy top loader with SS innards.
Good enough for me - who do I pay? Smile

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year I took advantage of a Black Friday deal to replace my aging, POS GE washer with the one linked below and have been very happy.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ma...-MVWB865GC/304289950

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We had a Maytag front loader that we bought nearly 20 years ago. Our daughter has it now and it runs perfectly. We bought a new Maytag set 14 years ago and they have needed numerous repairs including circuit boards in each.

The new stuff is make to die after about 10 years.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4235 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new stuff is make to die after about 10 years.
Mike

We are not even to 4 yrs and its just me and the wife. No kids. Every GE appliance has required some service on my part or theirs already. Only thing that has held together is the Bosch Dishwasher we bought at the same time as the rest of the appliances.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Last option would be checking the local appliance store and seeing if they have any new old stock Speed Queens leftover, but I doubt that they will.
Personally, I'd check the local appliance store for scratch and dent equipment. I bought a refrig that way several years ago that had a large scratch down the right side of it...the side that now sits three inches from a wall in our kitchen. Wink No one has ever seen that scratch (other than me), and it saved me a couple hundred bucks.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Personally, I'd check the local appliance store for scratch and dent equipment. I bought a refrig that way several years ago that had a large scratch down the right side of it...the side that now sits three inches from a wall in our kitchen. Wink No one has ever seen that scratch (other than me), and it saved me a couple hundred bucks.

I bought the Maytag commercial one listed above. Tried the RPS sensor because it was cheap enough that if I lost the money on it on well, didn't work. Guess it's either worn springs, the cracked stator, bad bearings or bad grease seals. Oh well washerless until the new unit arrives. That's three failed/failing parts plus the springs which I don't know how to diagnose.

Spent $41 at the laundromat on Sunday. I was amazed at the cost and it left me thinking of something my coworker said once. "It's expensive to be poor." I don't know how poor people can afford to go to the laundromat, after a few months you've spent enough to buy a new washer. Wow.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Selected the first one linked. One day in and I'm in love. The clothes smell better and seem cleaner with less leftover soapy residues left on them. Uses full tub of water on every cycle but normal. Normal is half full, so normal = small load. Only three knobs - Cycle, Temp, and Rinse Options. No buttons, no digital display, no Wi-Fi, no apps, no frills.

I love it. Two bonus things, it looks and sounds like an old school washer. Screw HE washers, this is what a washer should be.

Oversized thick queen comforter.

Simple no frills, easy to use controls.

Look at that freaking water level, LOOK, it's nearly full!!!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We have a Maytag front loader with all the bells and whistles and like it a lot. That thing sounds like a jet airplane taking off in the spin cycle though.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5047 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post