SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1999 Nissan Frontier? GTG or no?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1999 Nissan Frontier? GTG or no? Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
If that truck was within 150 miles of me I'd buy it as second vehicle. Everything around here is crap for that price.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
If that truck was within 150 miles of me I'd buy it as second vehicle. Everything around here is crap for that price.

Jim

Same thing here.

Posts: 26937 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On that engine the only thing that can be an issue is a worn timing chain tensioner. I’ve had three trucks with that engine with over a 1,000,000 miles logged between them and one wore out its chain tensioners. Other than that they were bulletproof. Add gas and change the oil and they were good to go. I wish Nissan still made those trucks.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

Bought it. Thanks immensely for the advice and comments!

Anyone know of a good forum dedicated to these trucks?

Paint is in great shape, had to be garaged I think. Almost new Goodyear tires. No rust found anywhere underneath, except some small surface spots on the muffler. There is some rust on the chrome bed rails. AC blows cold. One small seam opening up on the back of the drivers seat upholstery. Radio doesn't work. Runs and drives good, No damage or curb rash on the rims. One popped in place in the side of the bed where it looks like someone leaned up against it... paint is not cracked, I expect it will pop back out. Power steering and brakes but Manual door locks and window cranks. The bed liner is Factory and virtually mint condition, warrantee for the liner is in glove box... original window sticker and manuals in the glove box. Engine need to be cleaned.

One weird thing... the engine oil is overfilled by maybe 3/4" on the dipstick.

I've already buffed the yellow out of the plastic headlights.

It does smell funny inside, stale, maybe smoked in at some point or maybe just the material or glue from the new headliner... can't quite put my finger on it but it need's to be addressed.

EDIT TO ADD: Thats grass from where his yard was mowed... not paint defects in the photos.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nice. Congratulations.

Posts: 26937 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Seats in good shape, as is bed liner. Cherry.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Nice!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nice-

a truck that old is kinda a roll of the dice - as long as you didn't overpay - you could do well

hope it works out - a good sensible vehicle

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Put a new valve cover gasket on the engine. 100% chance it's leaking by now.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34134 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I am not a mechanic, nor do I pretend to be one on the interwebs.

After saying that, "I" would not buy a twenty year old truck.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
^^^I buy a new truck for my bride every 5 years, and I drive a 2001 Suburban or a 97 F250. The current “new truck” (a 2017 Silverado) is in the shop a whole lot more than either of the old vehicles. New vehicles are so hyper-complicated not even the dealership can figure out how to fix them.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I am not a mechanic, nor do I pretend to be one on the interwebs.

After saying that, "I" would not buy a twenty year old truck.

Well, my daily driver is 30 years old, a Jeep MJ that I bought new. I pulled and overhauled the engine ~4 years ago in the driveway, so this one doesn't seem too old!

And this is the 4th car for 2 people. Besides the Nissan and my Jeep we also have an '06 GMC Envoy "grandkid taxi" and a '17 Miata just for road trips and date nights etc.

Well actually 5th... if you count the 2000 Miata with thrown rod waiting disposition.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the oil smell at all like fuel?

I would want to maybe check that it isn't excess fuel in the oil causing it to be reading high.

Probably not a problem but it doesn't hurt to check.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
Does the oil smell at all like fuel?

I would want to maybe check that it isn't excess fuel in the oil causing it to be reading high.

Probably not a problem but it doesn't hurt to check.

Good idea! I didnt notice any gas smell but wasnt looking for it. It does look good so no water in it. Ill ck tommorrow for gas.
Thanks.