SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the big deal about cast iron cookware? What am I missing?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the big deal about cast iron cookware? What am I missing? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Bonnie has 6 or 7 pots and pans, that she uses .
I never mess with them.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54646 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Do NOT use olive oil to season. The reason? After it is seasoned (heated in the oven or smoker), it will be sticky.

Vegetable oil, Crisco, etc works fine. I also like avocado oil because of it's high smoke point.

One nice thing about cast iron, you don't have to hold the handle as you stir what you're cooking.

Posts: 3202 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I just wipe it out, rinse with hot water, and wipe again. Easy peasy.
It’s used for specific things: hash browns, pretty much any meat, fish, anything I want to move from oven to stovetop to finish (or vice versa). It has an accompanying lid, so a kind of Dutch oven, I guess? It’s fairly old, and both the lid and pan are heavy enough to make me consider before using. I have a lighter cast iron skillet that’s about the same diameter- maybe a different maker. I don’t use that one as much. Smaller ones too, for single serving homemade breads and single serving meals. Again, just wipe and I’m done.

Typically stored in a side cabinet, and I have my favorite stainless steel skillet for most other things.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5322 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
When I bought my first Stargazer I went with Buzzy Wax to keep seasoned. After cooking, I dry the pan, put on stove at low heat, fold a square of paper towel and apply a coating of BW. I leave the heat on medium low for 10 minutes, then wipe off with another piece of paper towel. Both my skillets and my carbon steel wok get this treatment.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon:
I never clean my cast iron while still warm. I'd rather eat hot food. Smile

Even if you don't eat fast CI takes forever to cool down. Smile

Posts: 2771 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just wipe it out, rinse with hot water, and wipe again. Easy peasy.

Yeah... it's hard to get used to not using the Dawn dishwashing soap on it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post