SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Murder a few miles from my house last night
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Murder a few miles from my house last night Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
A small country market on a highway near my house. A 19 year old kid killed a 46 year old man. No details other than suspect in custody and the charge is first degree. Looked at my wife and said, “See? It can happen anywhere.” It reinforced my insistence to carry when working outside and having a weapon in every room in the house.

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
An eighteen year old shot his 40 something dad to death near me last week.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
It reinforced my insistence to carry when working outside and having a weapon in every room in the house.

Keep telling my wife that complacency is what gets people killed.

While no doubt that many here live in nice neighborhoods, crime happens in nice neighborhoods, too.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OP, Having a pistol in a holster on your waist means that there is a weapon in every room. If I have pants on I’m armed. 18years as a street cop, I know how fast shit can go down. And I know that crime is everywhere. My grandmother was murdered in her walk to the front door to her house by a crackhead. She lived in a very nice quiet neighborhood of Tampa. I encourage everyone to be armed, because when you need the cops they are just minutes away.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11303 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its been a while, but about 5-6 years ago a savagely beaten boyfriend of a college-aged woman 7-8 houses down from us was dumped by the jealous ex-boyfriend as a message to his ex. He died in the curb trying to get to the nearest house across the street. Northern VA suburbs, the very same neighborhood my wife and her 4 siblings grew up in. So, like 100 yards from our home.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We all have similar stories . These savages are everywhere . Situational awareness is where you start .

Posts: 4069 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Ohio, I was armed to the teeth. When I moved to the Yoop with its low crime level, I relaxed. Then the owner of a small pawn shop who I did business with was senseless murdered within walking distance to my home.
Back to the usual routine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You have to be aware no matter where you are.
Getting lulled in to sense of complacency is a bad decision.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
OP, Having a pistol in a holster on your waist means that there is a weapon in every room.

Mine is either on me or beside me. My wife doesn’t carry and has rolled her eyes in the past when I tell her there’s a new location or new weapon in a certain room. She didn’t roll them so much this morning.

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I police officer was killed up the street from me last week. At least he was able to kill the perp so he didn't get away.

First time an officer has ever been killed by a suspect in the town.

My home has security cameras, my car has dash cameras and I keep that blunderbuss in the seat next to me now.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34138 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
OP, Having a pistol in a holster on your waist means that there is a weapon in every room.

Mine is either on me or beside me. My wife doesn’t carry and has rolled her eyes in the past when I tell her there’s a new location or new weapon in a certain room. She didn’t roll them so much this morning.

You can tell her my grandmother thought the same way. My dad had given her a gun when his father died. She was ten feet away from that gun when the crackhead beat her to death with a cabinet hammer. I’m sure she wished she had that gun when he set upon her.

Mrs. Mike thinks the same way, and it frustrates me to no end. I can’t be around her always. And even when she’s home she should be armed. I try and explain she might not be able to get to the MBR where a shotgun is, and I know my mullet head German Shepard won’t bite anything but a biscuit.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11303 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes to the above, the % of crazy & unpredictable behavior is near an all time high. I’m in a lower aggravation area. I still think the adage of in before 9:00 P.M., no druggie friends, & minding your surroundings applies.

I do agree, randomness is rampant.

Besides the J-Frame in the pocket, much can be done with controlling environmental factors that surround.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is getting bad everywhere. I am less than 2 miles from where little miss staby-staby was neutralized by the Columbus Police Officer a month or so back.

House in my neighborhood had a murder 10 or so years ago. House was the same model, almost the same color and on a curve in the road just like mine. That same night, someone tried to kick in my front door (I had reinforced it just a few months prior). I was in the living room at the time and had my rifle trained on the door just after the first kick. Dogs went nuts. I heard at least 1 person run off saying something. Figure he had a friend or he would not have been talking to anyone. Found the boot prints on my door the next morning. This was just prior to the murder. Turns out the murder was hit on an felon who just got out. Apparently, he talked or owed some shady people something. They were waiting in the house when he walked in. Shot him point blank and then strolled out.

I am always armed now and have an AR next to me in every room, loaded chamber, safety on (I have no kids and the wife is as much a gun nut as me). I am looking to relocate as soon as the housing market cools off.

Between the thugs, transient renters and BLM signs, it is almost time to just skate and live with my mother for a couple of years (she is getting to where she needs the help and company anyway).

The "Boz"

Posts: 1533 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It's everywhere. My wife is like Mrs. Leemur and Mrs. Mike, she barely tolerates me lugging a pistol around with me at home, forget trying to tell her she ought to keep one of the several I've offered her handy. I tried to talk her into getting her concealed carry permit. Once.

She's lightening up a bit, however. This last year with the riots and actual home invasions in CHAZCHOP, she stopped giving me the fish-eye altogether, and in the last six months, has actually been sending me news articles or blurbs about shootings in the area or people or victims who were able to fight back because they carried. There was a shooting in front of the local Rite-Aid about a month ago, and she made sure to tell me about it. It's right next door to the Thai place she loves to send me to for takeout. When I responded "that's why I always carry, honey," she responded "I know, and I figured you'd appreciate hearing about it."

I think men tend to be more proactive about these things, and women more reactive. Generally speaking, of course. Like Mike said, if I'm wearing pants, I'm armed.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next town south of me, Pea Ridge, AR had an officer murdered over the weekend. Suspects fleeing Rogers PD ran him down with their car. As it has been said, "a bad neighborhood is coming to a place near you".

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
My neighbors, a sweet couple in their 80s, were the victims of a home invasion a few years ago and both were shot to death. It was surmised by the evidence that the husband (unarmed) woke up and confronted the intruder and died trying to protect his wife. Then his wife was executed to avoid a living witness. Pure evil exists in this world.

Posts: 4454 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always told people that if victims of violent crime had known what was going to happen to them that day, they would have done things differently.

Always be as prepared as you can to defend yourself.

Posts: 12735 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
My wife and I heard a murder happen (multiple gun shots) just this past February, right as we were going to sleep. It was surreal.

A 16 year old was shot in his front yard .. still don’t know all of the details but we did see the suspect’s vehicle speeding off .. he drove right past our house with all lights turned off and disappeared down the road.

We live in a nice neighborhood too. Can happen anywhere.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post