SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Its true what they say, AC units only breakdown on the weekend
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Its true what they say, AC units only breakdown on the weekend Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
For a person doing it themselves it may not be as clear cut, but for someone waiting two days and paying hundreds of dollars for a service call, it is a no brainer to pay the $40 even it only lasts twice as long.

Agreed.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Days like this are what early afternoon matinee movies are for.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Days like this are what early afternoon matinee movies are for.
Late 1960's I was working in Puerto Rico. Rented house was not air conditioned. If it got REALLY hot, we woud go to a movie.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I have a contactor and two capacitors , along with a bottle of turbine oil . I'll go down fighting ...

LOL. my exact sentiments. They usually wait for the weekends, and usually present a slight deviation from the last KO.

i think ive added a few more parts over the years, and have a portable A/C for hurricanes in case it goes greek tragedy on me..

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
If you desire a U.S. made capacitor, you can still get AmRad caps. I keep extras of every size, from 5uf up to 80uf, so if any go out in an apartment, I'm ready.

https://www.amazon.com/Round-U...+%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-3

One of the reasons the Chinese ones fail often is because of quality issues, but also because some are built cheaper as only 370v caps. You should always install a cap rated for 440v, even if your system had a 370v cap. 370s are running right at their design limit. Even when Chinese ones are labeled 440v, I don't trust them to be honest. They're Chinese, after all.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8219 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went through the same thing just last weekend. Fan and capacitor both went out. Every HVAC parts store was closed until Monday. Hottest weekend of the year. We had to stay at a hotel Sat & Sun at $150/night. Monday morning my husband got the parts, another $162, and had it fixed by Monday afternoon. The house was about 98 degrees and took 7 hrs to cool back down. Luckily he’s a pipe-fitter who used to be an electrician so he knew how to install it. Couldn’t imagine what an HVAC shop would’ve charged.

Posts: 588 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
If you desire a U.S. made capacitor, you can still get AmRad caps. I keep extras of every size, from 5uf up to 80uf, so if any go out in an apartment, I'm ready.

https://www.amazon.com/Round-U...+%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-3

One of the reasons the Chinese ones fail often is because of quality issues, but also because some are built cheaper as only 370v caps. You should always install a cap rated for 440v, even if your system had a 370v cap. 370s are running right at their design limit. Even when Chinese ones are labeled 440v, I don't trust them to be honest. They're Chinese, after all.

Nice. The MARS are good but these AmRad are also USA made and available on Amazon. The MARS are only sold via distributors I think. Folks should really consider buying one of these two brands and save a lot of money and headaches down the road. And support USA. Don't see a rated life in hours but they do have a 5 year warranty, the MARS have a rated life of 60,000 hours.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Unit quit blowing cold air. Condenser isnt firing up. Of course, it's fucking Friday and all I want to do is relax for the weekend.

Here we go.

AH don't sweat it Big Grin you got a Hurrycane on the way gonna be here Tuesday/Wednesday, Idalia is on the way! Got the Generator out and fired it up, need to change the oil tomorrow, picked up 15 gallons of fuel....

Link

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
So that’s why there was a line for water at Sam’s Club yesterday. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
So that’s why there was a line for water at Sam’s Club yesterday. Roll Eyes

Yep, water, milk, bread, pnut butter,

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post