SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Possible Connecticut highway toll system for all cars and trucks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible Connecticut highway toll system for all cars and trucks Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...edge-tolls-everyone/

Newly installed Connecticut Democrat Gov. Ned Lamont is already reneging on his campaign pledge to place tolls only on trucks on the state’s roads.

In a budget speech Wednesday that left voters reeling, Lamont, a telecommunications entrepreneur who campaigned as a businessman who knew how to reverse the state’s financial crisis, mapped out his plans to bring Connecticut back from the brink of near-bankruptcy – but none of them involved cutting spending.

In fact, the Democrat proposed increased spending as he also pushed for at least 53 electronic overhead toll gantries across what is the third smallest state in the United States – for all cars and trucks. In addition, Lamont called for expanded sales taxes on dozens of new items and services as well as new taxes on sugary drinks, a surcharge on plastic bags, and a $15 minimum wage.

“He took one of his most fundamental campaign promises – that he wasn’t going to put up tolls on cars – and he lied to the taxpayers and he lied to the voters,” said former Republican gubernatorial nominee Bob Stefanowski as he appeared on WTIC NewsTalk 1080, the Todd Feinburg Show. “And then when he changed his mind – rather than coming forward and talking to people – he dumped it on a Saturday morning editorial on a three-day weekend.”

Connecticut has projected budget deficits of $1.5 billion and $2.2 billion in the next two years, the Hartford Courant reported, adding the governor’s budget “is built largely around new revenue and limited growth. He called for spending increases of 1.7 percent in the first year and 3.4 percent in the second year.”

In 2016, a study from George Mason University’s Mercatus Center found Connecticut ranked as the state in the worst fiscal condition, second only to Puerto Rico, and owing largely to its massive debt obligations and unfunded liabilities.

Connecticut, according to Truth in Accounting, is also considered a “sinkhole state,” without enough assets to cover its debt. The state ranked in September as number 49 for fiscal health in the nation, with only New Jersey ranking below it.

A grassroots group called No Tolls CT has organized to stop Lamont’s toll plan.

“Prior to his inauguration, Governor Ned Lamont reiterated that tolls were coming, but he would maintain his campaign stance and toll only tractor trailers,” the group states on its website that provides a petition against the tolls for Connecticut citizens.

The citizens’ group – which points out Connecticut citizens already pay property taxes on their vehicles – says the tolls will:

Increase the cost of every item transported into Connecticut
Increase the cost of doing business in the state of Connecticut
Increase traffic on secondary roads, which will translate into increased wear/tear = higher property taxes and increased pollution
Increase the size of government by creating a toll authority

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

an earlier study indicates they are talking about tolls for both in-state and out-of-state vehicles

No specific rates have been identified, but numbers such as 4 to 5 cents per mile were in the study.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19606 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
none of them involved cutting spending.

Of course not, that would be just silly.

It used to be a major pain to drive anywhere in CT with toll booths everywhere. Always hated making the slog up 95

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
good....I hope the taxes skyrocket and and he can make everyone pay tolls just like they did 30 years ago....you get what you voted in connecticut...suck it! I move outa this crap hole in less than two years!

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am so glad that with any luck, I will never ever for the rest of my life have to go anywhere near Connecticut

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
... Democrat .... reneging on his campaign pledge....

In other news, rain is wet and the sunrise is projected to be in the East tomorrow. Wink

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
53 electronic overhead toll gantries
How much do those cost? Roll Eyes

Posts: 28013 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His thinking evolved. That is what democrats do.

Posts: 12743 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Back when they had all the tollbooths on the interstates and parkways, we used to joke that the motto on their license plates actually read, "The Consptipation State".

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Never ever believe a Democrat who claims he will not tax you. How many times do you need to be fooled before you figure that out? At some point, the problem isn't the lying politicians....it's the stupid voters.

Posts: 6065 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
From what I read, this won't be toll booths.

It will be a mixture of EZ Pass, some new electronic detector, and license plate readers.

Connecticut citizens will get a discount.

Posts: 19606 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Gee, a democraP governor, in Connecticut, is raising taxes.

Whodthunk it?

How can any thinking person not have predicted this?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I-95 through CT is already slow. Bout to get even slower..

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post