SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good door-to-door sales tactic, kid!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Good door-to-door sales tactic, kid! Login/Join 
Member
Picture of vthoky
posted
It's after 8pm and just about dark, and the doorbell rings. First though: "Crap!" Next thought: "Eh, probably no big thing." I take a peek out the peephole... it's one of the neighborhood kids, in baseball uniform. He's selling $20 cards full of coupons for local businesses and restaurants.

"Good evening, sir. We're selling these coupon cards to raise money for our baseball team. I have one card left to meet my goal. Would you be interested?"

I've seen these cards before, and there are some good deals. I ran upstairs to fetch cash. When I got back to the porch I asked, "you're not going to every house saying you've got one card left, are you?"

"No, sir!" the kid says. "I had a goal of selling 45, and I've sold 44."

Okay, then. Call me a sucker, I suppose, but the kid was polite. That part sold me. Good job, kid. Smile




Politicians seem to have forgotten that they work for us, not the other way around.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
God bless America.
 
Posts: 16407 | Location: VA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of jwk226
posted Hide Post
That is funny!! Your story reminds me of when my son said a similar thing to a neighbor friend, years ago, who said no to buying Boy Scout popcorn, but then immediately bought one when my son said, "Shoot, I just needed one more to reach my goal!". Who can say no to that!
 
Posts: 63 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I might be living in a nicer house except for these kinds of tactics.


———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.
 
Posts: 4321 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I'll buy anything that is "magically delicious." Smile
 
Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
I'll buy anything that is "magically delicious." Smile


I'm a sucker for Girl Scout Thin Mints. Bought 10 boxes a couple weeks ago through a friends' daughter having a sale online.


_____________

 
Posts: 13485 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Thin Mints...

The only thing "Thin", is my wallet!




"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" ✡ Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא עוד
 
Posts: 46612 | Location: Box 1663 Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
No baseball here. Hockey.


End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
 
Posts: 17807 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Nice kid and probably a good deal too. The one I purchased gave me 15% off at the local Taco Bell for a year among other places. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to that kid coming back again this summer.
 
Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
LOL as he leaves your door he decides to raise his goal to 46. I always support the local kids and my friends kids. Good job on your support. He could have said, buy this card mister and I will make sure no balls make contact with your windows .


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Posts: 4964 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
As a former Little Leaguer and FFA member I have a lot of sympathy for any kid who stops by my door to sell something for their team, club fundraiser.
I recall selling "raffle tickets" for Little league, selling something they had little chance of winning. The prizes were things that were donated to the league.
In Ag it got a little better, I was selling tasty pork products under the Blue and Gold label. Breakfast sausage patties, breakfast sausage links, all so tasty!!
So I buy popcorn from the Boy Scouts and their coupon book, and cookies from the Girl Scouts who come to my door.
Although in my day I just set out to sell the stuff on my own. Parents were at work, no cell phone, just a mission to fulfil.
Now I see the boy scouts and girl scouts with their parents at the curb. I don't blame them as a parent.

I am surprised, it is a miracle really I wasn't abducted as cute as I was in my little league days.

HK Ag
 
Posts: 3632 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I will always help support little league sports.

During baseball and football season, me and my buddies would go out and sell popcorn fritters, candy bars and M&M's.

Sometimes a parent would drop us off in a neighborhood and we would meet up at a pre-determined spot, and other times we were on our own. No one bothered us, and every one was friendly and talkative whether they bought something or not.
 
Posts: 1996 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I will pretty much buy anything that kids shop door-to-door. I've been there before, plus it seems like kids rolling up their sleeves and earning it just isn't as common.

What I won't do is just give money to kids collecting. The local high school chorus was going door-to-door a couple of years ago, "collecting" money for a trip. I asked them what they were selling. They said they weren't selling anything, just collecting money. I said well that's not going to work for me...sing me a song. Sure enough, they sang, and I gave them a donation. Then I texted all the neighbors on my street. They earned their donations on our street that day.
 
Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
Yeah, I will pretty much buy anything that kids shop door-to-door. I've been there before, plus it seems like kids rolling up their sleeves and earning it just isn't as common.

What I won't do is just give money to kids collecting. The local high school chorus was going door-to-door a couple of years ago, "collecting" money for a trip. I asked them what they were selling. They said they weren't selling anything, just collecting money. I said well that's not going to work for me...sing me a song. Sure enough, they sang, and I gave them a donation. Then I texted all the neighbors on my street. They earned their donations on our street that day.


OMG, I'm rolling! Big Grin



NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
 
Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
We had a UAL Flight Attendant bumming a ride to work the other week. As customary, she sticks her head up front to say thanks. "Oh...by the way..."

She left the cockpit minus a box of Trefoils for us and a box of Thin Mints and a Samoas for the girls to snack on. Quite ingenious on her part.


--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."
 
Posts: 10098 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good door-to-door sales tactic, kid!

© SIGforum 2026