SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thieves infiltrate SF Classifieds
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thieves infiltrate SF Classifieds Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
I Googled it. It's a real address, maybe rburg can go there and break some kneecaps.

Anna Lipscomb is probably not going to be the guilty party, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a boyfriend, son, grandson, etc. using her address and intercepting her mail.

Posts: 8625 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I have to admit, I really don't buy from anyone in the classified section that has minimal posts. I know it's not fair and probably wrong headed on my part. I just feel better dealing with someone with solid post counts and a solid track record.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
I Googled it. It's a real address, maybe rburg can go there and break some kneecaps.

Anna Lipscomb is probably not going to be the guilty party, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a boyfriend, son, grandson, etc. using her address and intercepting her mail.

Found the Facebook profile of an Anna Lipscomb in Covington, Kentucky...23 minutes from Erlanger.

The dude she's with in her pics looks of the sketchy sort.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
I have to admit, I really don't buy from anyone in the classified section that has minimal posts. I know it's not fair and probably wrong headed on my part. I just feel better dealing with someone with solid post counts and a solid track record.

I'm with you on that -- I do the same thing. Same goes with selling, too.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is like a FICO score. If they have not been here for a while minimal points.If you don't have a history on Gunbroker,or ebay,minimal points. Does not provide a landline phone number or physical address that can be verified, minimal points. There are ways to to minimize risk, and unfortunately we must utilize them.

So far I have not had a bad transaction with any verified member from this board. Got slightly burned at Auction Arms one time, but Kahles customer service really stepped in and did more than I expected,so I actually came out on top.

Sorry greco for your misfortune.

For many years we have become accustomed to dealing with mainly honorable people who frequent shooting sports forums and gun sites. I remember many years ago ordering Lapua target ammo over the phone and the dealer said: I will ship it out tomorrow, send me a check when you get it. The thieves will eventually find all the vulnerable spots they can and spoil it for us all.

Posts: 12696 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
The longer the history and participation here makes me feel more comfortable sending $ anywhere. Me personally, I don't buy from someone that signs up and just sell an item the same day. Sorry for your troubles not getting what you paid for..

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I completely trust long-standing members. I have sent items, saying "Inspect it. Fondle it. Try it out. If you like it, send me money. If you don't like it, send it back to me."

I have also had members do the same with me.

Many times, when either buying or selling, we have cross-shipped: payment gets sent at the same time the item is sent.

I have never been burned by an established member.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30693 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I completely trust long-standing members...

I have never been burned by an established member.

This. You're better off dealing with folks who are part of our community. I've never had a bad experience with another established forum member.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Yes, you're all right about dealing with confirmed members. I've done some trading and buying and selling here. It's easy to get complacent because the folks here are a good crew. As soon as you let your guard down, kaboom. Thanks Para for going easy on me. Actually, im not feeling down over this, I'm just pissed; luckily it was not big $$. But I would like to give that scamming hag some permanent reminders.

I will for shore call the Erlanger PD and Post Master. The
PO requires you wait for a period before contact them to see
If anything turns up or the check is cashed.

And I still need the grips. Oye!

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
To add to the words said...

I will ONLY, do business here, with established members.

That means members who not only have been around for a while, and have a reputation, but members who actually participate outside of the classifieds.

Those folks that do, have a vested interest in this place, and will not want to lose it by being a shitheel.

I've never had a bad transaction here... and following those rules, I doubt I will.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry you got burned. I generally don't care if a guy sends me a personal check vs a Postal Money order becuse I am very confident I won't get burned if it's off this or one of a few other forums I frequent. I also ship before that check has cleared. But somebody that's newly or not registered ? Not likely.

Posts: 4775 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Common sense go a long ways as does, trust your gut.

This forum does an outstanding job overall. Including the classifieds.

Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
EDITED per request.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
On the other side.. when dealing with Established members... I have had people ship me the item while my check was in the mail.. and I have done the same. The real members here are the best..Because Para Throws out the garbage.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9072 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Ronin, fair enough. But it isn't about the money. It is about doing what you say you will do. I have talked to this person on several occasions. He knows. Going back months. I will adjust my orig. thread. Maybe you could do the same. Thanks

Thanks Ronin.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
I'm going to put my 2 cents in here. It's been years since I purchased a firearm in a P2P transaction over the web. But back when I did, and I did purchase a number of guns that way, I used to ask the seller to send an image of their drivers license. That way I knew they were who they said they were and I had a confirmed address with that name. If they wouldn't do that, then no sale.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post