SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    is lowes appliance protection plan worth it
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

is lowes appliance protection plan worth it Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I never buy extended warranties. Over a lifetime, you will save a bunch even if you on occasion have to replace a few things earlier than normal. It is an effective sales tactic because it preys on fear.

Insurance is best used for high cost items that are way too expensive to unexpectedly have to replace like houses and perhaps cars...not appliances.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
Originally posted by absolut18:
Purchase your appliances with an Amex card. It extends the manufacturers warranty by 2 years.

This was going to be my advice as well, but I'm not sure this information is accurate. I believe they double the manufacturers warranty up to two years. If the warranty on something is 90 days, Im not sure you get a years worth of warranty, I think they just double the manufactures warranty with limitations.

I stand corrected. They double the manufacturers warranty on anything under a 2 year warranty. They will add 2 years onto anything with between a 2 and 5 year warranty. Thank you MikeGLI.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would it be profitable to sell a warranty if they didn't make a hefty profit off them? Odds are in your favor. I usually buy lesser "fancy" models. In a pinch I'll toss and replace.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Would it be profitable to sell a warranty if they didn't make a hefty profit off them? Odds are in your favor. I usually buy lesser "fancy" models. In a pinch I'll toss and replace.

I'm in this boat with kitchen appliances. I don't want all the fancy shit in them. I buy them with my AMEX like absolut18, get my two years and everything after that I figure I'm playing with house money. I don't buy garbage appliances but I'm sure as fuck not buying a refrigerator with an integrated TV and 8 doors.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there is a Best Buy in your area you might check them as well. When we were shopping for our fridge it was interesting to see the price difference in the extended warranties. We ended up buying a Samsung from Best Buy and have had to use the Geek Squad extended warranty twice so it was worth it for us.

Posts: 694 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Samsung Washer and Dryer, opted for extended warranty. Dryer has had the Thermocouple? Blow out twice, and a new digital board or something go bad. Washer just started acting up, so far two visits now for randomly leaving pools of water in the drum. Never Samsung again.

On a car note, 2012 Ford Fusion, front end "went out" at less than 60k miles. Not sure what that means, but the dealers original quote of $3600 to replace everything was reduced to $100 because I had the extended warranty.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
It depends on what your buying. I almost never buy the extended warranty but I did get it once on a CharBroil Infrared grill that I purchased at Lowes.

A few months after the OEM warranty expired the 3rd burner stopped working. I called the warranty line, they confirmed this issue was covered, and asked me to bring it in. I declined since I had no way to transport a large assembled grill and I paid for them to deliver it to me in the first place.

They attempted to have a tech come out and look at it. After 2 weeks of being unable to find a tech who could even look at it they refunded me the entire purchase price. I then repaired the grill myself for about $20 and put the balance of the refunded money to another new grill purchase a few years later.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
If you buy anything Samsung, you better buy the warranty.
Or pay more for something else and skip the warranty.

I would strongly advise the same if buying anything GE.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I have no experience with the Lowe's plan, simply because I think extended warranties are generally a bad deal. Yes, it sometimes can work out in your favor, but the retailers don't push them because we come out ahead.

Bingo! Big Grin

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
In one word "no". Flip a coin and take your chance as to brands. There are lemmons in all brands.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
thanks guys for the replies its in i am back in business and i am going to bite the bullet for the couple hundred bucks they dont make them like they used to

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
YouTube makes fixing appliances quick, inexpensive and no waiting on a service tech or parts (Amazon). I’ve fixed washer, dryer, oven and nuker. Also cars and a materials (metals) hardness tester. All under $10-20 each. Smile

Amazing world we live in ... as my eldest son says: ”We live in the future!”

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
Make sure you have a paper hard copy of your warranty. As was stated earlier they will claim to have no record of it thus rendering it useless.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
We used it on two washing machines. One they replaced and one they gave us back our money as the machine was no longer being made.

phil

Posts: 2387 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, it sometimes can work out in your favor, but the retailers don't push them because we come out ahead.

are "we " the consumers?
or
are "we" the retailers?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post