SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Opinions on Insurance repairs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Insurance repairs Login/Join 
posted
Like thousands of others I had some roof damage due to Hurricane Zeta. The insurance company came up with a NEW option. I could have an adjuster who worked for the insurance company make an estimate of repairs or I could have a contractor approved by the insurance company make an estimate and also do the repairs. It has only been two weeks so nothing has happened as of yet. What are your thoughts??

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be leery of the contractor who is beholden to the insurance company.... he's in for the relationship he has with the insurance co. The more he saves them $$$, the more jobs he might get from them.

With the usual adjustor model, you get to contract with whatever Roofing Co you want and get the results you want.

Just my $0.02.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I would prefer an independent contractor of my choosing give me an estimate then let the adjustor make an estimate and see if it will cover your preferred contractor.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Definitely go with an independent contractor from your area. Their work is easy to verify and easy to talk to the homeowners who hired them.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5048 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask them where in your policy is states that you only have those two options. It may very well, but I doubt it does.

Experienced adjusters who know construction are a dying breed. I would steer clear of the adjuster route. An inexperienced adjuster will miss a lot of things. Then you and the contractor you hire are left fighting over what the adjuster may have missed.

I wouldn't rule out the contractor that is approved by your insurance carrier. They work within the guidelines that the carrier sets and have agreed to them. It's the way the insurance restoration industry has gone the last several years. That being said, there are certainly good ones and bad ones out there.

Should you go the approved contractor route, they will come out and get a scope together, price and photos. It will then be kicked up to a desk adjuster with your carrier or a third party vendor to approve the scope of work within the guidelines the carrier and contractor have agreed to. If it's obvious damage and the scope is accurate, it will be a quick approval. If it's unclear damage it may take some back and forth. For example, it may not be enough damage to warrant a whole new roof in the eyes of the carrier or third party vendor and it can go back and forth till it's resolved.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we had hail damage a few years ago I contacted a local roofing company that was highly rated. When the adjuster came out a rep from the roofing company shadowed him and made sure he didn't "miss" anything. Stuff I wouldn't have been concerned about like gutters and fencing. Not only did we get a new roof and gutters they also paid to re-stain our 8 foot privacy fence, something I would've never thought to ask about and I doubt the adjuster would've included it without prodding.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
get some bids. we had our roof damaged in Irma, and we got some quotes, and had it covered by the insurance company. Other people went and signed their benefits away, and some still are in court over this. For reference, our roof cost about $35K to replace while other comparable homes were around $80K. That differential is what all of us homeowners pay when you sign it over to the repair companies. it gets inflated, and we all lose in the end because it is "convenient" to sign the dotted line.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post