SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    686 Guns stolen from cars last year in Nashville
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

686 Guns stolen from cars last year in Nashville Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
^^^

When the police chief of Mount Airy, NC (where Andy Griffith grew up--and most all say was the source of "Mayberry") along with one of his officers got shot during a call a few years ago, I realized any reference to Mayberry was over.

For me, I leave my Jeep unlocked because it has a soft top, and I have the top/doors off as much as I can anyway. I leave nothing of real value in it, knowing it will be entered.

I have a locking rear security enclosure from Tuffy that I lock anything important in.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
...If it is, why not take the simple step of LOCKING YOUR CAR?

My guess: They got distracted. It's happened to me, though not with a gun in the CRV. I know, how hard is it to hit the button on the fob? Something distracts the driver and they walk away from an unlocked car.

Or they're lazy and/or stupid.

Stuff happens, and nobody’s perfect. Went to meet the wife for a coffee at the beach this morning. Was halfway out of the truck (in park, parking brake set, feet and legs swung out) when I thought, “Hmmm, something isn’t right.” Turns out the truck was still running with keys in the ignition. WTF?!? Fixed it, collected leashes for the dogs, locked the truck and went on about my business, but if not for that little voice in the back of my head, I could have joined the folks you call lazy and/or stupid.

Like many things in life, it only takes a moment’s inattention for bad things to happen. If we are honest with ourselves, we all make mistakes. Sometimes we get away without consequences, sometimes we don’t. For me, I just try to make as few mistakes as possible, try to recognize when I make them, and do my best to not make the same stupid mistake again. YMMV.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I posted this in a recent truck gun thread in the Pistols subforum.

That box looks great. I’ll have to get one and check it out. I have the combination nano vaults in all our cars and a couple spares, but I have been disappointed as they changed the orientation of the lock from what is shown in your picture to rotated 90 degrees. This reduces the options for how you can pack the box as you can’t close it with the lock mechanism over the grip (of at least a P228 or P226).

Looking at that picture, while it looks great, I’d be surprised if one can close that box loaded like that. I suspect the grip of the pistol and the lock mechanism won’t fit together to let the box close. It’s still probably better than the nanos I have, but I hate misleading advertising.

ETA: It is better, but I am not sure how much better. Slapping a tape on one of the nanos that I have, I get 6.5" x 9.5" x 1.875", which doesn't sound all that much smaller than 7" x 10" x 2".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: slosig,

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Looking at that picture, while it looks great, I’d be surprised if one can close that box loaded like that. I suspect the grip of the pistol and the lock mechanism won’t fit together to let the box close. It’s still probably better than the nanos I have, but I hate misleading advertising.

Yeah... My Nanovault won't shut with a G17 with TLR-1 in it. Too thick over too wide of an area, and no room for the lock mechanism. I have to remove the light and be very particular about the orientation of the G17.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
...If it is, why not take the simple step of LOCKING YOUR CAR?

My guess: They got distracted. It's happened to me, though not with a gun in the CRV. I know, how hard is it to hit the button on the fob? Something distracts the driver and they walk away from an unlocked car.

Stuff happens, and nobody’s perfect. Went to meet the wife for a coffee at the beach this morning. Was halfway out of the truck (in park, parking brake set, feet and legs swung out) when I thought, “Hmmm, something isn’t right.” Turns out the truck was still running with keys in the ignition. WTF?!? Fixed it, collected leashes for the dogs, locked the truck and went on about my business, but if not for that little voice in the back of my head, I could have joined the folks you call lazy and/or stupid.

Like many things in life, it only takes a moment’s inattention for bad things to happen. If we are honest with ourselves, we all make mistakes. Sometimes we get away without consequences, sometimes we don’t. For me, I just try to make as few mistakes as possible, try to recognize when I make them, and do my best to not make the same stupid mistake again. YMMV.

I just wonder how many people who very rarely or occasionally forget to lock the car have their guns stolen. My thought, and I have no data on it, is that these are probably people who habitually leave their car unlocked and they deserve to be called stupid or lazy, if that is indeed the case. IMO it is a real problem to arm criminals by allowing your firearm to be stolen. Right up there with an ND.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5915 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
2600 guns stolen in Memfrica in 2018 as per channel 13 news.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by cas:
No, people are just dumb. I'm always shocked to see people get out of their running car and go into a conveyance store. I've seen it twice where the car owner came back in saying their car was gone. No shit huh?
Why? Forget the risk part, what's the upside to leaving it running? Are you that lazy? Is your car going to get hot/cold in the three minutes your in the store? Stupid.
There is a 3rd demographic as well - the reckless (little bit of knowledge but wrong conclusion). Some people (I am NOT one of them) don't lock their cars because it's so easy to use a slim jim or break a window and get in anyway Roll Eyes Completely ignoring statistics or the principal of make your belongings harder to steal than your neighbor's.

Probably the same people who don't lock their doors at home because somebody is just going to break a window or kick in a door anyway.

had a friend who did the 3rd option

she had a FIAT 124 , after replacing the 2nd top, (slashed to get access) she just left her car unlocked, with nothing in it of course, and did not replace the last radio that was stolen out of it

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^^^ That is not the 3rd option as she didn't leave anything in it. The 3rd option people recklessly leave the "truck gun" in their unlocked vehicle because it's so easy to get into a locked vehicle.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23332 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many total guns were stolen in Nashville from all other sources as well (homes, pawn shops, firearms dealers, shipping, etc.)

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
As it has been discussed before here, 99 percent of all stolen guns come from unlocked vehicles.

A minuscule are stolen from locked vehicles. And a smaller amount of that are stolen from secure storage inside vehicles.

The perps are coyotes. They are looking for easy targets. If the vehicle is locked, they move on to the next. They usually work in pairs and wear hoodies.

This is a large percentage of what I do at my day job.

Thanks for weighing in. This is what I had remembered you sharing with us before, and is what several other officers I have spoken with have also confirmed.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post