SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIGforum format fascists and grammar NAZIs, a moment of your time please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIGforum format fascists and grammar NAZIs, a moment of your time please Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
I'm getting conflicting direction, so I turn to the font of all knowledge to resolve my dilemma.

In a narrative list of items (as opposed to a bulleted list) do you end the individual entries with a comma or semicolon or should you only use bulleted lists? To wit:

A bulleted list:

SIGforum is the font of all knowledge because:

(1) it is really an internet search engine in disguise;

(2) the members' education and experience spans the scope of the human experience; or

(3) Deus Vult.

Comma separator:

SIGforum is the font of all knowledge because (1) it is really an internet search engine in disguise, (2) the members' education and experience spans the scope of the human experience, or (3) Deus Vult.

Semicolon separator:

SIGforum is the font of all knowledge because (1) it is really an internet search engine in disguise; (2) the members' education and experience spans the scope of the human experience; and (3) Deus Vult.

Question:
So which say you:

Choices:
Bulletted list
Comma
Semicolon

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Bulleted lists either should have no punctuation at the end or should all be punctuated the same (entire sentence with period).

Of your examples, the 2nd is the most correct in my experience.

I didn't vote in the poll.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Rule #1. Consistency. The first method used in the document defines the format of the rest. That is, it's writer's prerogative. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Rule #1. Consistency. The first method used in the document defines the format of the rest. That is, it's writer's prerogative. Wink

This is my vote as well.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would use commas without the numbers.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Bulleted list. It's what I learned in journalism writing class years ago when journalism was an honest profession.

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't have a reference to confirm it, but in the bulleted list that begins with a colon (":"), I would end each bullet with a semicolon (";") except for the last, which should have the terminal period (".") to end the sentence.

In the narrative form, either semicolon or comma (",") separators would be appropriate as intermediate separators, but they should all be the same. If none of the elements themselves included a comma, then I would use commas; if any of the individual elements included a comma, then I'd use semicolons for all element separators. (I was taught that, except for specific usages defined, semicolons were just strong commas.)

Actually, even in the narrative form I usually include an introductory colon--under those circumstances I would use semicolons for the separators (colons imply semicolons).

As I said, I don't have any documentary support for this, but it's what I do.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Since this is a thread about grammar, and since I’m basically a grammar nazi, it’s actually “FOUNT of knowledge”; “fount” being short for fountain.

Big Grin Big Grin

To your list, you have two choices...bulleted list without punctuation or the list with commas as depicted. Numbering in the comma list is fine.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Make sure you get it right. The wrong answer could cost millions. Eek

A lawsuit over the absence of an Oxford comma was settled for $5 million

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6426 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Option 1.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
#1. Consistency is king. Writers are allowing themselves and others much more license these days.

Also, don't get them writer folks started on Oxford commas. It's a thing. Smile

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
#1. Consistency is king. Writers are allowing themselves and others much more license these days.

Strunk & White were all FOR the "Oxford Comma"--that's good enough for me. (And it avoids possible confusion.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

Strunk & White were all FOR the "Oxford Comma"--that's good enough for me. (And it avoids possible confusion.)

flashguy

See? Big Grin

I used to always Oxford comma. One of my editors unOxford comma'd all my stuff. I didn't want to die on that hill. They almost all uncomma my stuff and use hyphens instead - like the godforsaken heathens they are.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I think you mean 'fount'. Fount of knowledge. /nazi

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

The Oxford Comma doesn't always work to avoid confusion, so you can never assume that it always works. For example:

I went to the Oscars after-party with my children, James Franco, Meryl Streep [,] and Denzel Washington.

Don't rely on a comma to do what really should be by rearranging items in a list.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Purpose rules (or overrules, on occasion) form.

If you're asking a question, as the "or" seems to imply, then bullet points is the clearest way to present the question - your big problem there is highlighting the "or" in such a way that the sequence of ideas is easily identifiable as a series of discrete options from which the reader is being asked to choose.

If you're looking for a humorous or casual way to explain that there are great and complex theories involved, none of which are mutually exclusive, but that ultimately the answer may be unknowable except as an adjunct to a deep religious experience, the second is perfectly correct. One might plausibly argue that there should be a comma after the "(3)", that's really more of an aesthetic thing.

If you want to make a simple declarative statement, the third version is just fine.

One way of thinking about it is this: the semicolon separates ideas that are each worthy of careful thought and attention in isolation from the others. If only due to their relative scarcity, they jostle the reader into looking at each item in a list more carefully and, the author hopes, a bit more thoughtfully. Commas separate ideas that are interesting if you string them all together, but may not be as interesting if you consider each of them in isolation from the rest. They delineate discrete ideas in a way meant to keep the eye flowing over the text so that the mind quickly and easily focuses on and absorbs a larger, composite set of ideas.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
After 4 surguries I have a semi colon. :-)

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote because I think the choice is entirely up to the poster. Here's my take: Each item in a bulleted list is a separate and complete thought. Therefore, no punctuation is needed (a period may suffice is the item is a complete sentence). Other than that, the Purdue University Online Writing Lab suggests using commas between independent clauses when they are joined with a conjunction (and, but, for, or, not, so, yet) and a semicolon when they are not.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have a reference to confirm it, but in the bulleted list that begins with a colon (":"), I would end each bullet with a semicolon (";") except for the last, which should have the terminal period (".") to end the sentence.

In the narrative form, either semicolon or comma (",") separators would be appropriate as intermediate separators, but they should all be the same. If none of the elements themselves included a comma, then I would use commas; if any of the individual elements included a comma, then I'd use semicolons for all element separators. (I was taught that, except for specific usages defined, semicolons were just strong commas.)

Actually, even in the narrative form I usually include an introductory colon--under those circumstances I would use semicolons for the separators (colons imply semicolons).

As I said, I don't have any documentary support for this, but it's what I do.

flashguy

Concur with flashguy re: semi-colon to separate the independent clauses in a series introduced by a colon. While independent clauses may be separated by a comma, the longer they are--and especially if they have excessive phrases or dependent clauses--the more the semi-colon is needed.

I do not, however, concur with "always use an Oxford comma" mantra, especially not from Strunk and White. Strunk and White are excessively prescriptive and are rather blinkered by the notion that English ought to operate like Latin (e.g. no split infinitives, not ending sentences with prepositions, etc.), when it is clearly a Germanic language, which admits much of what Strunk and White prescribe.

Regardless of my general dislike of Strunk and White, and apropos of the OP, clarity and precision are key in writing, so I agree there.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
if it's not illegal (yet) or politically incorrect (yet) do as you please.,:}+?

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post