SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Want to discourage a newbie from buying a 4X4 truck? Have them watch this video
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want to discourage a newbie from buying a 4X4 truck? Have them watch this video Login/Join 
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My car does it for me. If it’s in sports mode, the wipers are on or if the temp is under 40 degrees it’s AWD. Otherwise it’s RWD.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
What's all this Km/h horseshit?

The velocity measurement used by 195 of 198 countries and states.

And 100% of countries that have never sent a man to the moon among other accomplishments.

Fairly certain the space program uses metric...

Posts: 5166 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
In Central Montana, the US Air Force runs trucks around to check on missile silos. A number of years ago, my wife and I happened to come upon a young Airman who got his pickup stuck on the side of the road.

The truck was a Dodge 4x4 and he had the back wheels spinning. We stopped to offer assistance and he said a tow truck was being sent to liberate the Dodge from the 6" of snow.

I suggested he put the truck in 4 wheel drive and just drive out. He said he was not authorized to do that. Apparently he needed an endorsement on his A/F drivers license. I offered to do it for him but you know where that went.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
I have always been baffled as to how and when to shift into and out of 4WD.

When you're stuck and when you're not.

Easy peasy.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Wow.

I had a fancy car for less than a year. I traded it in on my Jeep JKU.

Manual transmission, manual windows, manual locks, no computer screens...

I'd drive a '60s CJ5 if it had room for the kids. I'm not a fan of all the fancy junk. I will say that a back-up camera is a nice thing to have, and there are a few other collision-avoidance things that are undoubtedly beneficial. But that video is mind-numbing.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
If I follow the directions in that video, I think I need 4 wheel high to get up and down my gravel driveway.

That was the most useless and complicated instructional video I've seen in a while.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6489 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Real 4WD vehicles have transfer cases with their own shifter.

Yes. I grew up in a 1951 Jeep. Five shift levers on the floor.
1. "Three on the floor" driving shift
2. Hi-Lo range. Lo = "Gramma"
3. 4WD engage
4&5 PTO winch
(It's been a long time. I think that's what they were.)
Plus Manual Warn hubs.
And the Jeep had a 1963 221 Ford small block. Sweet.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

And 100% of countries that have never sent a man to the moon among other accomplishments.

I wonder if the NASA space program scientists operated in metric measurements ever, and when they switched if they didn't.

A quick search indicates they used mostly imperial measure at least through the space shuttle. The transition or dual unit usage caused the loss of a Mars research explorer.

Posts: 7471 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Fairly certain the space program uses metric...

You should have told that to the person who wrote the code for the ground based computer software for the Mars Climate Orbiter.

Posts: 11002 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
What was that spoof complex, technical video? Think it was Rockwell or perhaps GM...

Posts: 1828 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Leaving a Michigan Yacht Club regatta kickoff dinner a woman in a new Lexus SUV was having trouble leaving her parking spot. She was parked behind me on a sandy hill next to the road. I told her to wait until I left and if she wanted me to I would drive it out for her. I pulled my truck out and got into her SUV and hadn't a clue how to put it in gear it was so modern. Avoiding the embarrassment of having to ask her how to shift it when attempting to be a knight in shining amour, I figured out to bump the console shifter to select gears.

Before I got in she told me that it was already in "sand mode" which struck me as funny. It drove out quickly, but the responsiveness of the powerful engine surprised me and I applied a little more throttle at first than intended.

I pondered other 4WD driving modes possible and wondered if it had modes like "wet golf course" "Pebble Beach Concours" or "Wimbledon tennis court"

Posts: 7471 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Egads, Getting out, turning the Warn hubs to engage, putting the transmission in neutral and engaging the transfer case lever is easier.

If I had one and needed it towed I'd ask for a lowboy and drive it up, put it in park set the Ebrake and chain it down.

Getting the transfer into neutral is all too complicated.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post