SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's time for my annual I-have-no-idea-what-to-get-my-wife-for-Christmas thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's time for my annual I-have-no-idea-what-to-get-my-wife-for-Christmas thread Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
It's not that we don't love our wives, although women do seem to tend to equate our incredibly poor gift-guying skills with our affection for them. Speaking for myself, I honestly draw a blank when it comes to gifts for women.

As a general rule, I won't buy clothing for her, because- oh who the Hell needs that explained to them?

Many years ago, I did buy her a "winter white coat" but only because she dropped the biggest hit ever. It was a good buy. It fits her, still, and she wore it just last week to a holiday party.

But, other than that and slippers, uhh, no.

Married men of SIGforum, I implore you- help a brother catch a break! I need ideas! Please, no new cars or diamond bracelets. I am but a poor man, meek and mild.

Eh?

Make haste! The clock doth ticketh!! Ticketh, it doth!

Posts: 107753 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After almost 50 years of marriage, I ran out of ideas too. Started giving orchids (in pots) a few years ago and she now tends about 7 or 8. They’ve been well received, not expensive, come in lots of different colors and live for years with minimal maintenance. That was a lucky choice in my case, but she’s always liked plants and gardening so it seemed to fit. YMMV.

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15491 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
My wife and I do events. Those memories generally last much longer than dresses, coats, cars, or appliances.

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my wife a down filled comforter last year. Not too expensive either. She loves it and insists on sleeping with it every night (even in the summer). This year I got lucky, we did a 4 week trip to see our daughter and grand children that we both decided was our Christmas.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
My wife and I do events.
What, like take her bowling? I could do that.

Posts: 107753 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
48 Years married here. I agree with the garden/plant theme. I will add that indoor/outdoor wrought iron plant stands and shelves are a big hit. They can be found in any ACE hardware store. Outdoor concrete animals and fountains are also good if you have a garden or planting area. Decorative bird baths also found in ACE.

Posts: 197 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A towel warmer for the bathroom!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tow..._sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_12

https://www.keenray.com/produc...-towel-warmer-bucket

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16258 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
We’re going to St Maarten in Jan. I told her its our Christmas present and I'm done.

Totally worth it to get out of the gift roundabout.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3855 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
A towel warmer for the bathroom!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tow..._sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_12

I am bookmarking this for next year.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3855 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
These would not suffice as a present, they'd make for good stocking stuffers. Super handy little things great at removing food from dishes holds up pretty well for being plastic even against your worst baked on nightmares. I bought a case to give them away to friends just because I like them and I'd figure they would too.

They are $8 each individually but a case order makes them much better per unit price.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20846 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe a really good kitchen knife.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/

Posts: 12745 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
The best, most likely to succeed, things I could advise are:

Think on the past year with her and find something that tells her you actually heard what she said at least once. They go nuts if you hit the bullseye here.

Think about the times she's said she felt cold, buy accordingly. Repeat for when she's said she was too warm.

Chocolate. Unless she has an allergy this is always accepted currency in a marriage.

Best of luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apprentice,

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Does she have any hobbies or pastimes she enjoys?

IIRC, last year's suggestion of a quality set of hand pruners was a hit? If you didn't get her the holster for them: Felco P95 910P Holster. My wife uses hers all the time.

Here are some more gardening tools my wife regards as indispensable:

UPB Japan Japanese Hand Hoe Nejiri Gama Weeding Sickle for Weeding Gardening Planting 9.8in (25cm)

Longer-handled version: Tomerry Weeding Sickle Japanese Craftsmanship Very Sharp Nejiri Gama

Also handy for planting annuals, as well as weeding.

This garden cart goes with her everywhere throughout the yard. She uses it to keep her tools in, move plants about, etc. She says of this "It's a must-have": Gorilla Carts GCR-4 Poly Dump Cart, 2-Wheel Garden Wagon with Foldable Handle, 4 cu ft, 300 lb. Capacity, Black/Yellow

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a number of clueless attempts at gifts for the women in my life, I just settled on gift cards from these folks:
L.L. Bean. Wide variety of stuff for ladies from clothing, linens, shoes and household.
Coach. Ladies love purses (all mine do, anyway) and Coach pretty much covers the spectrum.
Apple. I hesitated with Apple until I noticed many women now wear the IWatch. Turned out to be an excellent option.
Good luck in your quest!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
My wife enjoys simple gifts like scented candles (stores like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and Ross by far have the best prices and usually a good selection), festive seasonal hand soaps, and a few sweet treats (mine in particular likes toffee and chocolate covered almonds). I use these sorts of gifts every year as filler gifts.

She really enjoys getting time away from the kids and mom-duties to go thrift store shopping, but she won't do it because it feels like a frivolous use of money in her mind as she generally doesn't buy anything we actually need, per se... So a gift of $150 cash with a note telling her what day I will be taking the kids fishing and a list of her favorite thrift stores is ALWAYS a safe fallback for me.

Other than that, we are in the "events not gifts" categories as well.

Though it occurs to me, finally, that sometimes I'll buy Christmas decor, which she adores, AFTER Christmas (read: on the cheap) and hide it until her bday in April, and give it to her then. That usually is good too, though perhaps not exceptionally helpful to you at this moment.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Get a B&B on Jekyll Island for the weekend. Walk the beach, go out for nice food, play a little mini-golf, tour the shops.

Time. The ultimate luxury.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I have a similar dynamic with my wife. I know she's the glue of my household, and I want to get her something nice every year, but she just doesn't make it easy. I start asking in September. If she identifies anything I always get it for her. So, perhaps I'm a bit predictable. I try to be observant, and write down anything she might say it would be nice to have.

Two years ago she told me a story about as a child she look forward to visiting a friends house, and how she was fascinated by the metronome on their piano. I mulled it over, and she's not a musician in any way, I got one for her. That was a big hit.

Posts: 7551 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I got my wife a giant blanket, this way she can't roll out of it. She is always cold.

https://bigblanket.com

Jewelry is hit and miss, mine doesnt like a lot of it. Some board games to play together, last year got her some stupid expensive hair dryer she would never have gotten herself but wanted.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Slippers (as mentioned in the OP) are always received well.

A few years ago I gave Mrs. Archie a defensive handgun course enrollment. She went ahead and took it to "humor" me. Now she's gotten her RSO and Instructor certifications. Turned out to be a much better gift than I expected. You could combine this with travel if budget and schedule allow.

Posts: 6516 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post