SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Valley Forge and Gettysburg, Taking The Wife to Visit, Good Idea?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valley Forge and Gettysburg, Taking The Wife to Visit, Good Idea? Login/Join 
posted
I visited in Valley Forge and Gettysburg twice. I felt like it was sacred ground both times I was there. I want to take the wifey to both places. Good idea?

Posts: 7566 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live near Gettysburg. Sort of depends on the wife - no? Does she appreciate American history or tolerate your interest?
True, both are hallowed ground. I find Gettysburg more interesting to me as it is more recent and I had a family member in the fight. A bit easier for me to relate.

I can recommend the car tour of the Battlefield with the guide in your car. Arranged through the Main Visitors Center.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
They say you can hear the spirits of members from the Continental Army there...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8393 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yes, come! PA is re-opened for the most part and a lot of the Covid BS has finally gone away or been scaled way back.

You could spend a day at both easily, especially Gettysburg.

Just don’t go near shithole Philadelphia, it’s a lost cause.

Posts: 33867 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Watch the sunrise on Little Round Top. You can feel their presence.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're visiting Gettysburg, Antietam is about an hour southwest, close to either I-81 or I-70.

https://www.nps.gov/anti/index.htm

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If she's going along just to satisfy your interests, hopefully you plan to make it up by accommodating a trip to someplace she's into.

Happy wife, happy life...just sayin'

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on your wife. It is gonna be hot.

and
Just don’t go near shithole Philadelphia, it’s a lost cause.
AS PER PASIG.But if you want excitement cruise the Kensington area of Philly. It has one of the most flourishing heroin markets ever.

Posts: 17277 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuglespritz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
If you're visiting Gettysburg, Antietam is about an hour southwest, close to either I-81 or I-70.

https://www.nps.gov/anti/index.htm

This is an excellent recommendation. As stated, Antietam is only an hour South, and the battlefield has a lot of history.

Posts: 754 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
If you're going to do Vally Forge, I'd also hit other sites in the immediate area like Brandywine and Paoli on the same day. Paoli is maybe 20 min from Valley Forge and Brandywine is about 35 min from Paoli, depending on traffic.

Frankly, Valley Forge is a bit boring, but I suppose that's because it's a normal place for people in this area to go for a walk. It's way more of a "walk, bike and take the dog or horse out" kinda place than a historical battlefield, TBH. It's also surrounded on all sides by developments and houses.
The back side of the park is far more scenic than the King of Prussia side. You'll find way more locals there than you will people looking for US history. The visitor's center is adequate.

Gettysburg is the far more expansive and impressive place. Definitely feels more historical and a "destination".

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When are you planning this trip and for how many days?

Posts: 680 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
It's way more of a "walk, bike and take the dog or horse out" kinda place than a historical battlefield

It never was a battlefield.

It was the Continental Army’s camp from December 19, 1777 to June 19, 1778 while the British Army occupied Philadelphia 18 miles away.

I saw this local singer-songwriter perform this at the Keswick Theater in Glenside, PA and I always found it haunting and perfectly captures what happened there in song. The Jedediah she references was her ancestor Jedediah Huntington whose letters home she used as the basis of her song:

Posts: 33867 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I visited in Valley Forge and Gettysburg twice. I felt like it was sacred ground both times I was there. I want to take the wifey to both places. Good idea?

Tell us everything about your wife so we can come to a proper answer to your question. Don't leave out any details...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:

Tell us everything about your wife so we can come to a proper answer to your question. Don't leave out any details...
TTIWWOP

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Harpers Ferry more than either of those

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I've been to both Gettysburg and Antietam before I knew my wife, I know she wouldn't have any appreciation for either.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
My wife loves Gettysburg. She often says we should revisit. Even if your wife isn’t a history nut (mine isn’t either) the surrounding countryside is beautiful and peaceful.

Quite a contrast to what made the town famous.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input forum members, Antietam is definitely on the agenda now.

Posts: 7566 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Be sure to check the Valley Forge website to see what is open before going there. We went to Gettysburg on our anniversary in May and planned to do VF the next day but very little was open at the time due to COVID restrictions so we skipped it. That was about two months ago so it may have opened back up by now.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2109 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post