SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a keyboard...Too many options.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a keyboard...Too many options. Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
I have a new MAC book PRO that I really like. Short of the keyboard. It seems SMALL as I tend to hit two keys far more than on my old keyboard. An ancient , detached from the CPU type board. I have to really slow myself down and look at the keys or I am constantly having to go back and correct the misspells. Lots of double I's and O's.

I tend to hit keys hard, that is probably most of the issue.

Looked at keyboards online and it's a bit confusing, especially when I looked at MECHANICALS on the Massdrop site.

75% keyboard?

Keycaps?

Plate style, Matius or MX?

Gatero/Kaihua/Zealpc ?? Etc.

I'd like a small board, don't need the number keys off to the right. Is that what the 75% refers to? A smaller board?

Any help appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving too, by the way!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Keycaps?

The plastic caps that go on the switches.

quote:
Plate style, Matius or MX?

Matias and Cherry MX are the two main styles of switch, they require different mounting holes. Cherry MX are a lot more common.

quote:
Gatero/Kaihua/Zealpc ?? Etc.

Different types of Cherry MX-style switches. Not really important unless you're a total keyboard nut.

quote:

I'd like a small board, don't need the number keys off to the right. Is that what the 75% refers to? A smaller board?

A keyboard with just the number pad taken off is usually called "tenkeyless" or "TKL."

A 75% keyboard usually has pretty much the same keys as a TKL, but they're kind of smushed together - the arrow keys and little block of insert/delete/home/etc keys are kind of smushed into the side of the main part of the keyboard.

If you smash the keys, you probably want heavy switches, and you have to decide whether you want (loud, have a bump as you push them in) clicky switches, or tactile switches (have a bump as you push them in, but not a super-loud click), or linear (just push straight in, no bump).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm using a Corsair gaming keyboard. I tried out about a dozen keyboards at the local Fry's computer store and this one had the feel that I liked. Long-stroke keys with full spacing, and they make loud clicking sounds when I press them. (I learned touch-typing on an old Underwood upright typewriter, so I am fussy about my keyboard.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
THANKS so Much! Explains a LOT.
So..I want a full spacing , tenkeyless board.

And keys I can hit fairly hard. Any suggestions?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Cherry MX Blue switches are heavy, have the bump, and are very clicky (loud).

Cherry MX Clear switches are heavy, have the bump, and are significantly quieter than the blue switches.

Cherry MX Black switches are heavy, no bump (smooth keypress), and are significantly quieter than the blue switches.

I like MX Clears.

The color is the color of the switch stem - the part that moves up and down and that the keycap pushes onto.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I'll add that I think the best typing experience available is the old school IBM Model M buckling-spring keyboards (still made, now under the Unicomp brand name), but as far as I know, they're only available full-size and they are UNBELIEVABLY loud.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
maladat,

Thanks for taking the time on this. I appreciate it.

posted Hide Post
Choosing a keyboard is a very personal choice. I've migrated from an IBM Model M to one with Cherry MX Green switches and then one to Cherry MX Blue switches. After that, I added heavier key caps to quiet down the keyboard a bit. I also added o-rings to the MX switches to quiet them down a bit more. That's worked well for several years.

The keyboard was from mechanicalkeyboards.com. There's great information there. You may also want to listen to the sound of the various switches to see what sounds right, or you can order a key switch test pad with many types of switches so you can see how each feels and sounds.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
FN, I bought one of these from Amazon, recommended by Glenn Reynolds (Instapundit). It does have the old style IBM-like keyboard. Personally I don't like the feel so I don't use it.

It's big, got the tenkey on the side, but I would be happy to send it to you if you want it.
My e-mail is in my profile.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I prefer a USB keyboard over Bluetooth, because it it always recognized by the OS, especially during an OS install.

If you can live with the numeric keypad, daskeyboard makes an excellent Mac professional keyboard. It is clicky, using Cherry MX blue switches, and is a joy to type on. I have been using mine for several years now, after trying out some others (Matias, for one). I prefer clicky mechanical switch keyboards, which greatly enhance your typing feel and speed. The old IBM Model M was another good one, with its buckling spring keys, but I just don't like the current incarnations from UniComp. My main gripe with it is the Option key is entirely too small, being the same size as the other letter keys, and I use the Option key quite a bit.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
FN, I bought one of these from Amazon, recommended by Glenn Reynolds (Instapundit). It does have the old style IBM-like keyboard. Personally I don't like the feel so I don't use it.

It's big, got the tenkey on the side, but I would be happy to send it to you if you want it.
My e-mail is in my profile.

Just a note - this keyboard has heavyish tactile (bump, not clicky) keyswitches, but they are Kailh (Cherry MX-style) mechanical switches, not buckling spring switches like the old IBM keyboards.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'd really like to toss the tenkey pad on a keyboard. NEVER use it.

The site henryaz linked to is interesting, may go that route. Nice hoow they explain the differences and even alloow oone to hear the keys.

I've given up on the double o's...

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
You like old school?

https://www.amazon.com/Qwerkyw...reless/dp/B01KM6EJOY

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm not a gamer and wanted a backlit fullsize keyboard (even though I rarely, if at all, use the numeric keypad). Been using a Logitech K740 for the last 4.5 years. It is an extremely flat unit that employs very quiet low-profile keys and a scissor-switch membrane mechanism or what Logitech calls their PerfectStroke Key System. (Pictures of the switch system can be seen here: https://signsandsymptomsoftran...2/13/logitech-k740/). It has proved durable and provides tactile feedback that works for me as a hunt and pound (vice peck) two finger typist. Big Grin

If I were to succumb to the lure of a mechanical board, no doubt a Cherry MX Brown or equivalent from Outemu or others would be my preference with a simple backlit scheme option. Those with no optional recourse from amusement park, Vegas strip, RGB LED displays need not apply.

As an aside FWIW I'm still using a decade old well worn Microsoft Trackball Explorer 1.0 which recently was overhauled with new bearings, etc. It remains the most comfortable and ergonomic pointing device I've ever used. And for an old fart like me, great for its low impact on my hand and wrist. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
You like old school?

https://www.amazon.com/Qwerkyw...reless/dp/B01KM6EJOY

LOL. I saw that a few weeks back when I started my quest. A bunch more than I care to pay, but I'd bet if I actually tried one I'd buy it. LOVE the look of it, and no number keys off to the right side...hate that. Never use them.