SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How/why was I conditioned to think that platinum was more valuable than gold?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How/why was I conditioned to think that platinum was more valuable than gold? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
Up until recently, if you had offered me the choice between a solid gold bar and a solid platinum bar, I erroneously would have believed the platinum bar would be worth more.

Was platinum ever significantly more valuable than gold?

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
https://www.macrotrends.net/25...rices-vs-gold-prices

Yes, roughly 2000-2012 (I.e. most of our formative years, we are roughly the same age, I believe).

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, when I was into coin collecting in the first decade of this century, platinum was always higher than gold.

Q

Posts: 26436 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Even more so with palladium. That shit goes up and down fast.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
In the 19th century Aluminum was more valuable than either metals.

Everything trends

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Every time I went shopping for jewelry for my wife platinum seemed to be at a premium.

Posts: 17900 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It's understandable. After all, my Platinum Amex is a higher tier card than the Gold. Also, Delta Platinum medallion is a higher tier than Gold medallion. So I likely would've thought the same.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30419 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It's heavier. In jewelry and watches it wears differently because of that heft. It's a cleaner/brighter white than white gold, and the color persist throughout without having to have a coating to obtain the white metal look.

In wrist watches, it absolutely commands a premium. Perhaps a bit trickier to work with as well?

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Fun Facts: Both gold and platinum metals have properties that make them useful in industry. I have an acquaintance that developed, manufactures, and sells a plasma coating "gun". It deposits a coating that is a few atoms thick on a base metal. He told me that platinum changes its' conductivity with temperature change. Thermostats use these platinum-coated strips.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
He told me that platinum changes its' conductivity with temperature change. Thermostats use these platinum-coated strips.

I just thought they used metal strips with different metals on each side. They bend at different rates, but very predictable. Guess its partially to phase out mercury vials. Don't need mechanical contacts. Of course automobiles use platinum coated ceramics in their catalytic converters. Its why druggies steal them. But they'd steal gold based converters if they would work. Instead they steal gold rings and stuff.

In the past, there was a very stable price relationship between gold and silver. No more. All have become industrial metals. 100 years ago we didn't even know of those uses. Silver was used in forks and spoons, gold in wedding rings, and platinum was just a novelty.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
<snip>
He told me that platinum changes its' conductivity with temperature change. Thermostats use these platinum-coated strips.

After my junior year of college, I interned at Detroit Edison’s instrument lab in Detroit. I worked with platinum-iridium thermocouples that we used to measure temperatures in the multi-story boilers that created steam to drive the huge generators. Platinum-iridium wire for one electrode, pure platinum wire for the other.

Ordinary thermocouples would’ve degraded quickly at the boiler temps, but this noble metal thermocouple lasted long.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8990 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Some of you may know that white gold jewelry is often plate with Rhodium to give it a better appearance.

At today's prices:

Silver $23.69 oz

Gold $1,898.80 oz

Platinum $872.00

Back around 2000 Rhodium was worth about $1,100 an ounce. Today's price: $11,400 an ounce.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15724 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
My wedding ring is half 18k gold and half platinum. People are always amazed at the weight of the ring.

The platinum helps keep the soft gold stable. I got married in 1998 and the cost of either metal was not a concern. I just wanted a cool ring since my wife got a really expensive rock.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Platinum is much harder to work in jewelry, you can't easily resize a ring like you can with gold. Much higher temps are needed and inert gas IIRC.

Platinum and palladium can be used in the mix to make white gold, I wear a crucifix my Dad made which is this mix - no plating and it is stark silver with no rhodium plating. Harder 'N a whores heart, not like soft gold.

My wedding ring is platinum as well.

Metal prices fluctuate, who knows... maybe platinum will supersede gold again someday.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
My wedding ring is half 18k gold and half platinum. People are always amazed at the weight of the ring.

The platinum helps keep the soft gold stable. I got married in 1998 and the cost of either metal was not a concern. I just wanted a cool ring since my wife got a really expensive rock.

when my Grandmother passed, my wife inherited her wedding rings (Grandmother wanted me to use them when we got married, but I was hard headed )

anyhoo,, wife had it appraised, just to see what it was,

we figured white gold, with a decent diamond, (grandparents were never wealthy, and both had been married before, and they were married in the middle of the depression)

wife and I were a bit shocked, platinum ring, I don't remember the carat weight of the diamond, that is damn near flawless,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you play D&D as a kid? I was into D&D for about 2 years growing up ...

IIRC currency in the game was Copper, Silver, Gold, then Platinum in order of value.

But that was early 80s...

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Blame it on Lost in Space.
Dr. Smith always drooled over platinum. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Did you play D&D as a kid? I was into D&D for about 2 years growing up ...

IIRC currency in the game was Copper, Silver, Gold, then Platinum in order of value.

But that was early 80s...

-----------------------------------

Same here. I always thought Platinum was worth more than Gold.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Every RPG game ever always had copper, silver, gold, and then platinum coins in order of value...

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Demand went down when it stopped being used in the automotive industry IIRC.
Based only on supply though, it should still be higher priced than gold. I've read it is about fifty times more rare.

Seems like the markets just do whatever they want.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post