SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HVAC guys need your help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HVAC guys need your help Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Compressed air has always worked for me , followed by Bleach in the drain line . Never in the pan .

Posts: 4066 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The pan had globs of gunk in it last time I did this. I removed all the water and scraped off the big chunks and sprayed bleach and water with a spray bottle, but I must have not gotten all of it.

When I get better I’ll cap off the end and pour bleach down the line

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just disassembled my drain line because 100 PSI air was not enough to get all the spider eggs out of the pipe. A few blasts with the garden hose in both directions eventually washed them all out.

Also added a little more pitch to the drain while I was in there to improve flow.

Posts: 928 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Weak/bad capacitor or the motor is bad.
Stops running when the motor gets hot and trips the internal thermal protection.

Took a day of searching but found a place with the capacitor in stock. $6.55 plus tax.
AC has been running for an hour with no issues so far!

Thanks again for your help!

---
ack, spoke too soon, it ran for four hours while I slept with no issues. Kept the house at 75. Went to pick up my son from school and it's not spinning again. Shut it off for a bit then started it back up and it tries to spin but moves an inch or two and won't spin anymore.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chowser,

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8025 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I use the 90 day filters, but change them every 60 days -- first day of odd-numbered months. When I change the filter, I pour a half cup of vinegar down the drain line. No clogs at all, since I started doing this, couple years ago.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
ack, spoke too soon, it ran for four hours while I slept with no issues. Kept the house at 75. Went to pick up my son from school and it's not spinning again. Shut it off for a bit then started it back up and it tries to spin but moves an inch or two and won't spin anymore.

Just saw you added this to your post.

The capacitor was likely bad for some time and it has cooked the windings in the motor. More than likely, if you try to turn the fan while the motor is energized, it will be magnetically locked up. Will turn feely with no power applied.

Time for a new motor.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I figured it was probably the motor after everything else simple got replaced. It's doing exactly what you're saying. For some reason, it works for a few hours then stops. It's getting cooler now so she said she'll think about fixing it later. I told her I'm still off for another week so I will get around to it soon. Things have been hectic with my daughter's birthday.

-edit to add

Replaced the fan motor. Everything has been working fine for a few days now. Thanks!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chowser,

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8025 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post