SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Federal Cartridge lays off 110 workers, cancels $1M in state funding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Cartridge lays off 110 workers, cancels $1M in state funding Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Market downturn? Not here! Ammo shelves are getting thin again around here, availability of Speer still hasn't improved since 2012 although Federal .45acp bulk packs were on sale a couple months ago.

Maybe they should look instead at improving their product line, or subcontracting for a company with better products?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Odd. HST is an excellent SD cartridge by nearly all accounts.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Maybe they should look instead at improving their product line, or subcontracting for a company with better products?

Improve their product line...?

Federal's HST ammo is arguably the very best defensive hollowpoints currently on the market.

Their Vital-Shok and Fusion ammo is among the best commercial hunting ammo on the market.

Their Gold Medal Match ammo is one of the best off-the-shelf match loads.

And while it's not the very best in terms of quality, their American Eagle FMJ ammo is likely the top-selling practice ammo on the market too.

So if they were to just discontinue their product line and subcontract for a company with "better products", who would that be?

Federal is already a sister company to CCI/Speer, with both being subsidiaries of the same parent company. That only really leaves three other big ammo companies - Remington, Winchester, or Hornady. And it's debatable whether any of those companies offer anything that are significantly "better products" than Federal.

Not to mention that I imagine the other ammo companies are also going to be cutting production and scaling back expansion too, since demand has dropped overall. Keep in mind that most ammo companies temporarily increased their production during the big ammo booms recently. So rather than thinking of it as cutting production, you can think of it as just returning it to what it was before the mass panics. Which is an entirely foreseeable business decision, considering the fact that we've just come out of two massive spikes in demand.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nothing about this is at all surprising.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes, yes. Now, where are the cheap cases of HST and the affordable 6.8?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I've heard Mini-Mags have been spotted in the wild. I haven't seen a sleeve since summer of 2012. Maybe use that grant to build a new .22LR machine and take pressure off the hoarders?

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Improve their product line...?

Federal's HST ammo is arguably the very best defensive hollowpoints currently on the market...(etc)

I've heard of these products, but they don't show up around here, which is no-doubt why I don't think of Federal when I think of quality ammo. You can't try it if you can't buy it.

Thanks for the reminder that they and Speer are sister-companies, something I remember hearing about years ago, but forgot. I wonder if this would make it easier for Federal to subcontract some Gold Dot stuff if they can't fill shelves with their own premium ammo? It's in short supply here, and along with Winchester PDX1 is only stocked in those overpriced 20-rd boxes.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
I've heard Mini-Mags have been spotted in the wild. I haven't seen a sleeve since summer of 2012.

I've bought 3,000 rounds of Mini Mags online in the last 6 months or so. On sale too. Supply can be spotty at times still, but CCI's production seems to be rocking along, with large batches available fairly regularly (at least online).

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...3106699/m/8940089024

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...3106699/m/4320069914

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...3106699/m/1960044814

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...3106699/m/6530039414

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Just got Target Sports USA weekly email. A case of 124 gr. Federal HST 9mm has dropped $20 to $379.80 with free shipping.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Just got Target Sports USA weekly email. A case of 124 gr. Federal HST 9mm has dropped $20 to $379.80 with free shipping.

You can get the same at Bone Frog Gun Club for $350 plus shipping. Should work out to be ~$10 cheaper, after shipping is factored in.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.co...?variant=18327182081

posted Hide Post
I don't understand why they're laying off workers, you still can't even find ammo shelves even close to full here in South Florida and .22 is still in very short supply.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I don't understand why they're laying off workers, you still can't even find ammo shelves even close to full here in South Florida and .22 is still in very short supply.

I haven't ammo from a brick and mortar store in years, except the recent Black Friday Remington sale. Why would anyone do that? I order online and save $10 or more in taxes per case. Plus it's cheaper to begin with. Free delivery. I don't have to load the heavy cases into my car, then unload them at my house.

Check out the internet they sell all kinds of things there. Besides food I buy almost everything online.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

You can get the same at Bone Frog Gun Club for $350 plus shipping. Should work out to be ~$10 cheaper, after shipping is factored in.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.co...?variant=18327182081
Shipping quote was $29.80 to 28120, so total is exactly the same. I don't need 1,000 rds of this anyway.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same here. .22 is still struggling to reach normal levels. The selection is very poor and hardly anything I recognize when the shelves aren't empty.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

I haven't ammo from a brick and mortar store in years, except the recent Black Friday Remington sale. Why would anyone do that? I order online and save $10 or more in taxes per case. Plus it's cheaper to begin with. Free delivery. I don't have to load the heavy cases into my car, then unload them at my house.

Check out the internet they sell all kinds of things there. Besides food I buy almost everything online.

Do you WANT gun stores to go extinct? Besides, plenty of people don't buy in bulk(only time online makes sense) and plenty of people like to pay cash for things.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
Do you WANT gun stores to go extinct? Besides, plenty of people don't buy in bulk(only time online makes sense) and plenty of people like to pay cash for things.

I'm with you 100% on this! Although I like the idea of stocking up, I can't afford to buy 1,000 rounds at a time, even at on-line prices.

Besides that, I enjoyed the time I used to spend at an LGS. I hate watching them disappear.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I check every time I am in wallyworld to see if they have any .22. Have not seen any there in at least 3 years.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They turned down free money?

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
They turned down free money?

They had to. One of the conditions was the creation of 50 new jobs, not laying off 110.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post