SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking advice on a handgun iron sight problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking advice on a handgun iron sight problem Login/Join 
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Is a combat sight picture not a thing anymore? That’s what I’ve been doing for a little over 15 years with the three dot sights on my defensive handguns. I’m not having problems putting rounds on steel at 25 yards, even the little square head at the top of the plate.

It was a thing the factories came up with so they wouldn't have to regulate the sights. Once they discovered that shooters were satisfied with only being able to place shots in an area defined by the front dot, they were more than happy to offer this setup and explanation. It is hard to place shots accurately, much less zero your sights, when your whole aiming area is covered by your front sights

"Rounds on steel at 25 yards" is a noteworthy goal, but what was the size of your group on the steel. If you accept the long acknowledged standard of acceptable accuracy for a combat pistol at 50 yards as being 4", your shots at 25 yards should be in a 2" group. Even standing freestyle, you should be able to keep your shots inside 6" at 50 yards

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
I despise fat front sights.

Run a Dawson .100 wide fiber optic.

https://dawsonprecision.com/si...by-dawson-precision/

It's the solution you're looking for.

Yea those look real good. One of them looks like a factory replacement in the same height. Only problem is the blade is plain, which is great for target shooting, but it will replace an aftermarket meprolight tritium front blade, which until the tritium died, was a good house sd gun, since the three dots lit up in total darkness. I emailed Meprolight to ask them if they could recharge them, since new sights are expensive, but I never heard back from them. I'll check if they have a USA phone number. I think they're an Israeli based company, maybe they're too busy these days, for obvious reasons.

But you're right about the Dawson blade, looks like good quality, and narrower than my "factory" meprolight blade. Thanks for that.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
KevH:

I bought the plain steel Dawson front blade after your Dawson recommendation. I chose the plain black blade, .125 wide, and now I can see the right amount of light between the blade and rear sight notch, so I'm expecting better results at the range.

9mmepiphany:

Your explanation of the three dots being confusing for concentrating is what I think was making it harder to concentrate on the face of the front blade and centering it in the rear notch. With the new Dawson front blade I will try blacking out the two rear Meprolight tritium vials, which have long run out of juice.

Thanks to all, particularly the two of you.

I'll report back the results of my next range visit with the GP100.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post