SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking advice on a handgun iron sight problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking advice on a handgun iron sight problem Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I have Mepro TRU-DOT iron sights on my gp100. But the rear slot is too narrow for my eyes to efficiently resolve the front blade. In other words I have to concentrate so much on seeing clear daylight between the front blade and rear sight slot that I'm running out of concentration energy so to speak in shooting the target.

So I'm thinking IF the rear slot was wider I could do better. I saw someone on the net that took .001 off each side of his front blade with precision machining that solved his problem, but I'm not a machinist nor have the skill to expertly hand file it.

Is that more or less correct optical theory for open iron handgun sights ? I don't know.

So do you guys know of another brand iron sights with a rear slot wider relative to the front blade, or a wider U-shaped rear configuration, or possibly having the front blade precision machined to narrow it a bit and refinished ?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree completely ? Any experience or advice appreciated.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the D&L Sports website for sight options.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I had a gun with XS Big Dot sights in n it. Sounds like that’s what you are describing

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Trijicon or Dawson might have what you're seeking.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Or, you could buy a decent quality MRDS and take the sighting problem away. Focus on the target and press the trigger.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I had a gun with XS Big Dot sights in n it. Sounds like that’s what you are describing

That's what I was thinking. I have XS regular dot (not BIG) on my carry gun.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Or, you could buy a decent quality MRDS and take the sighting problem away. Focus on the target and press the trigger.
Much like the OP, I too, have a GP-100. I'm staring at it and trying to figure out the best way to mount an MRDS.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I'm staring at it and trying to figure out the best way to mount an MRDS.

https://www.mountsplus.com/rug...0-red-dot-mount.html

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
No electronic sights for me at this time, I like classic lines too much. Electronic sights are fantastic for msrs and sd and unlimited competition, otherwise scopes for big game rifles, peep sights for lever guns, express irons or low power scopes for dg rifles, and the like. I enjoy open iron sights for handguns and plan on keeping it that way if possible.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
There aren't a lot of aftermarket sights available for Rugers.

The easiest thing to do is either have the rear notch widened or the front blade narrowed...I'm using a .100" front blade, with fiber optic insert, with a .125" rear notch in a plain black blade

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself...it's really very easy...just about any gunsmith or machinest can do it for you.

Very likely the rear notch is already .125". You can get a Dawson .100" front blade to install

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I despise fat front sights.

Run a Dawson .100 wide fiber optic.

https://dawsonprecision.com/si...by-dawson-precision/

It's the solution you're looking for.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Purchase different sights:

https://parts.bowenclassicarms...n_page=index&cPath=2

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I thought lining the dots up while having the front dot on the target was how three dot sights work: dots in a straight line horizontally, front dot centered between the rear dots.

Is this not the case?

What does seeing daylight between the front blade and rear notch have to do with this? How does that work on a black ring paper target or any other dark colored target? How does that work at night?

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of the Big Dot sights as well. You could also use a blacked out rear sight to make it easier seeing the front sight. Worse comes to worse, you could use a file or similar tool and remove some of the material on the your rear sight to widen it and then use some type of paint to cover the exposed metal.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I thought lining the dots up while having the front dot on the target was how three dot sights work: dots in a straight line horizontally, front dot centered between the rear dots.

Is this not the case?

What does seeing daylight between the front blade and rear notch have to do with this? How does that work on a black ring paper target or any other dark colored target? How does that work at night?
Well, I was taught that if you line up the sights such that tops of the front and rear sight are level and the front sight is centered in the rear notch then the bullet should bisect the center of the top edge of the front sight. As far as lining up the tops of the sights you can have a helper set/hold a spare magazine on top of the rear sight. There should be no daylight between the front sight and the bottom of the magazine and the magazine should not “cut off” your view of any of the front sight.

Things to consider: This assumes your sights are regulated for such a hold. There are other ways to set your sights up. I believe that a popular way to set your sights up for bullseye competitions is what is called a “six o’clock hold”. You line your front and rear sights up in the same manner, but you put the center of the front sight at the bottom of the bullseye circle in the center to put the bullet in the middle of the bullseye. At least that is my understanding from what I’ve read about it. I have never worked with that kind of sight regulation.

One probably could setup their sights such that they would work as you describe. Heck, maybe it is close enough to the hold I’ve described above to rarely matter in real life.

Everyone’s vision is different. For some folks it is easiest to see that the front sight is centered in the rear with very little space on either side. If you see daylight, you need to move the front sight to that side to make the daylight go away. For others, it is easier to see that the front sight is centered with a good bit of daylight on either side. Shoot what works best for you.

For me, it used to be easier with a moderate amount of daylight on either side. As my hair has grown more grey and my lenses have grown more stiff it has become much easier to simply focus on the target, confirm that there is a red dot floating over it, and send the round.

On a recent CCW renewal qualification I was mildly annoyed when the battery in the dot on my P226 was dead. Happily, I was still able to manage an acceptable performance with the mounted irons, but I did have to work harder for it.

Figure out what works best for you, then rock on with that. Smile

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^That’s a good description for the target sights on my S&W revolvers, but not the three dot sights the OP has and is asking about. If you try that with any of the handguns I have with three dot sights, you’ll hit low with every one of them.

My understanding of the dot the i sight picture you also mentioned for bullseye is that it’s used because with black rear sight, a black front sight, and a black bullseye you can’t see easily that the sights are lined up.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is this not the case?

That's a horrible way to use your sights for a number of reasons.

1. Lining up the dots doesn't always line up the tops of the sights, which is the correct way to use your sights
2. The rear dots will actually make sight alignment slower as the rear dots will distract your subconscious from perceiving the sights as being aligned
3. The 3-dots started as the easiest way to provide early night sights and ideally aligning sights wasn't given as much priority as getting dots on the sight blades

quote:

Balancing the daylight on each side of the front blade is how you perceived that the blade is centered in the rear notch.

On a black target, like in bullseye shooting, your focus should be only on the front sight and the target should ideally be blurred. You just bisect the blurred ring/circle. Top tier bullseye shooters, who use iron sights, always use plain black front and rear sights

At night, your sights will be silhouetted against the target. If there isn't enough light to see your target, there isn't enough light to identify it to be shooting anyway

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, tinkering with the front blade can be dicey if you're not confident with it. Check out some brands that offer wider rear slots or different shapes. That might be an easier fix without the risk of messing things up.

in the 'Merica Navy they teach you to go pew pew pew...
Luckily in the PNW they taught me to go BANG BANG BANG

Posts: 47 | Registered: November 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:

Is this not the case?

That's a horrible way to use your sights for a number of reasons.

1. Lining up the dots doesn't always line up the tops of the sights, which is the correct way to use your sights
2. The rear dots will actually make sight alignment slower as the rear dots will distract your subconscious from perceiving the sights as being aligned
3. The 3-dots started as the easiest way to provide early night sights and ideally aligning sights wasn't given as much priority as getting dots on the sight blades

Is a combat sight picture not a thing anymore? That’s what I’ve been doing for a little over 15 years with the three dot sights on my defensive handguns. I’m not having problems putting rounds on steel at 25 yards, even the little square head at the top of the plate.

None of the three dot sight handguns I have were setup from their respective factories to line the tops of the sights and bisect the target. They all hit low if I do that. They all hit where I put the front dot doing it the way I’ve been doing it. I’m going to have to dig out my copy of Practical Fundamentals because I’ve probably picked up some bad habits over the years.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

^ I learned through trial and error shooting with and without them in competition that 3 dot sights are terrible for me. Slower and less accurate.

You can see (or call) Fermin and see if he makes something that works for you.

https://fermincgarza.com/shop/...w-2-dogs-rear-sights

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post