SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rubik's Cube Security on point
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rubik's Cube Security on point Login/Join 
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
My grandson can solve a totally scrambled cube in about 30 seconds. But 3.14 seconds? Holy crap. That shits amazing.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Speedy.
His personal backstory is interesting.

YT link

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12424 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
There are a humongous number of ways a Rubik’s cube can be disorganised. Some start positions will take more rotations than others to get the cube back to a standard start position. So how do they make “record time” attempts fair?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8970 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
That was really impressive.

Time to reset the bar. Time starts as soon as they remove the cover and the contestant sees the cube. The planning stage is part of the total time to solve.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37977 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I saw that reported in another article. I refuse to believe that a randomly disorganised Rubik's cube could be returned to standard start position in 3.13 seconds. Utterly ridiculous.

Then what's your theory?

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
I saw that reported in another article. I refuse to believe that a randomly disorganised Rubik's cube could be returned to standard start position in 3.13 seconds. Utterly ridiculous.

Then what's your theory?

Alien time shift.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12424 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I think I may have solved one in 3.13 years once.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6734 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Impressive, but I think the clock should start when the cover comes off the cube. Studying the cube and figuring out the strategy to solve it is part of the skill. The "free" study period doesn't make sense to me.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

Time to reset the bar. Time starts as soon as they remove the cover and the contestant sees the cube. The planning stage is part of the total time to solve.

Re: “Time starts as soon as they remove the cover and the contestant sees the cube. The planning stage is part of the total time to solve.”

Looking at the video in Para’s OP, it appears to me that his “planning stage” time was in addition to his 3.14 second manipulation time.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8970 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Re: “Time starts as soon as they remove the cover and the contestant sees the cube. The planning stage is part of the total time to solve.”

Looking at the video in Para’s OP, it appears to me that his “planning stage” time was in addition to his 3.14 second manipulation time.

Rightwire said, "time to reset the bar" prior to that statement. Makes all the difference.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38687 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
My grandson can solve a totally scrambled cube in about 30 seconds. But 3.14 seconds? Holy crap. That shits amazing.

Maybe a dozen years ago, I handed a cube to my son, I already scrambled it for awhile. He solved it in approx. 30 secs, right in front of me. His best time was 20 seconds. He and his friends were into this back then, he still knows how to solved it at will.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I can pull a brand new cube out of its clamshell and make it completely un-solvable (by me) in less than the time it takes to open the damn clamshell box. Do I get a prize for that?

Posts: 1988 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
I can pull a brand new cube out of its clamshell and make it completely un-solvable (by me) in less than the time it takes to open the damn clamshell box. Do I get a prize for that?

Big Grin

Yeah, that was me in 1978 or 79 when it was a national fad.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like how you guys have decided their rules are suspect. It’s their game it’s their rules. They get to look it over first. That’s part of the game. You guys don’t get to say their rules are bullshit though, you don’t even know the game. I think pickle ball, while fun, is a silly little game. I don’t get to make them change their rules though. No more Nasty Nellies or Hurry up Harry’s or whatever bs they have come up with. It’s their game their world championship. Lol

I don’t care, that shit was fast no matter what anybody thinks. (never had a Rubiks Cube but I’ve played with them before, surprised they are still around, always thought they kind of sucked as a game and no I never solved one. Ever)

Posts: 7530 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Solid form. Both arms out, hoodie sleeves rolled halfway up, weight forward on balls of feet, head neutral with mask protection, hair covering eyes for full scanning ability.

Level 6 Secret Service training.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6976 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I think it would take him twice as long if he had to do it one handed.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:

Big Grin

Yeah, that was me in 1978 or 79 when it was a national fad.

I remember the fad in 1979 or so. I learned to solve it in five minutes or so. I would get 4 sides and then had a memorized set of moves to get the 5th and 6th sides lined up. I haven't touched one in decades, it would probably take me an hour now.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's what Rightwire is saying: That the time to solve should include the planning time.

He didn't really solve the cube in 3.13 seconds. He executed the solution he'd planned, after study, in 3.13 seconds.

The cover came off at the 7 second mark in the video. He picked the cube up at the 19 second mark. Somewhere around the 22 second mark he put it down.

So, in reality, it took him ±15 seconds to solve the cube.

Which is about a bazillion times faster than I could

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I’d like to see what the kid could do in Steel Challenge.

I think it’s like shooting a stage. You get walk through to make your plan, but then have to execute.

It would be interesting to make them solve the cubes, with a blind start - I’ve shot some blind matches before - but it’s very different.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good point aglifter. It is their game. If they get a walk through of the stage they get a walk through of the stage.

I’m surprised no one has commented on the fullup N95 mask kid.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post