SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm stupid - teach me about rye bread
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm stupid - teach me about rye bread Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I love pastrami sandwiches. Usually just pastrami on rye w/ mustard. But I'll do changes of pace occasionally - like a Rueben.

I've always just been accustomed to rye bread but not a specific type. Been indifferent until now.

I see Jewish, Rye, Extra Sour Rye, Pumpernickel, Dark Rye, and others at the market. Mostly Oroweat.

Can you educate me - what's the high level differences? What's each type best for? What's best for pastrami sandwiches? What's a good brand for rye bread?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Best bread I've ever eaten comes from here:

https://www.bigskybreadokc.com/varieties

Their German rye is fantastic. A couple times a month they make a Black Forest Pumpernickel Rye that makes the best Ruebens I've ever had.

You'd have to check their website to see about shipping etc. I pestered the owner for years before he finally got a website. Super nice guy. I checked the website and it said they would ship breads call for details. I used to live in OKC and utterly LOVED that store. I've never had better bread anywhere.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you educate me - what's the high level differences?
Try this.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I looked at it but it doesn’t really describe all the types I see in stores, what they taste like and how best they are used. But good info on what rye bread is in general. Looking for more details.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
The Best bread I've ever eaten comes from here:

https://www.bigskybreadokc.com/varieties

Their German rye is fantastic. A couple times a month they make a Black Forest Pumpernickel Rye that makes the best Ruebens I've ever had.

You'd have to check their website to see about shipping etc. I pestered the owner for years before he finally got a website. Super nice guy. I checked the website and it said they would ship breads call for details. I used to live in OKC and utterly LOVED that store. I've never had better bread anywhere.........

Thanks. I’ll check it out. I’m looking for info on what German rye / Black Forest pumpernickel is vs other rye breads. And why BFP is great for reubens and better than other ryes for that purpose. I’ll see if any local stores carry the brand.

posted Hide Post
I'd tell you a joke about it but not everyone appreciates rye humor.......... Cool

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
It's really hard to get REAL German style Pumpernickel from US bakeries. The real stuff is baked for like 24 hours at a low temperature, which caramelizes the natural sugars over time. Most US can't dedicate that much baking time to a single batch of bread, so they "cheat" and use molasses.

So really there's 2 different Pumpernickels you can find. The stuff with all the other bread in the grocery store is almost guaranteed to be molasses style, and if that's what you like that's cool, I like it too. The real stuff is typically in the "ethnic" section if you can find it at all, and it's a tiny dense loaf, sliced super thin, which is also good but different.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info
I am looking forward to more answers.
Me Loves Rye Bread

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pumpernickel is pretty rare these days, unless you find a real-deal bakery or, a shop that can source it. Most Jewish and Rye styles are pretty blah, again, gotta find a bakery that specializes or, has a interest in such types.
I always liked how the Scandinavians and Germans do their open-face sandwiches, she can make it with whatever she likes Cool

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I usually go deer hunting with the guys in Nov. Around home if I deviate from the household ‘standard’ bread, I hear about it.

When I supply for the hunting trip I often get dark rye or pumpernickel type breads, heavy & dense. It’s just something different from the standard ‘Oatnut’ bread or similar.

Yeah, in Europe they can just about make lunch out of bread, maybe add a little cheese.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
About the only thing I can tell you is you dont need to be Jewish to love Levy's. Since the sandwich originated in NYC around the turn of the last century, I'd think a German rye bread would be closest to original status. Other than that try and find a bakery that also sells bread. That's your best bet.

https://www.seriouseats.com/20...n-new-york-city.html

https://www.myjewishlearning.c...e-pastrami-sandwich/

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
We like ours without the seeds.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
At our supermarket, the bakery keeps the Jewish rye in a separate glass-fronted cabinet. A 12oz loaf is three bucks; I can eat it in two days. So I do not buy it too often. Seeded, not, swirled, they keep the good stuff away from the average shopper.

Teachings of The Woodman - Try fresh single bakery product. As opposed to company bread.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
About the only thing I can tell you is you dont need to be Jewish to love Levy's.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30727 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
You’re not stupid!

I can’t tell you much about rye bread in general. But if I look at the list of ingredients of rye bread I find in my grocery stores, rye flour is usually far down on the list.

I can tell you about pumpernickel though. Several years ago I discovered this German baked pumpernickel:

Mestemacher Bread, Westphalian Pumpernickel, 8.8-Ounce Packages (Pack of 11)

www.amazon.com/dp/B00176GK1O/r..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve never been without it since. Its flour is milled exclusively from whole grain rye. In fact, there’s almost nothing in it except rye flour and water. Its dark color is the result of a long (18- 24-hour) baking process that promotes the Maillard reaction.

All US baked pumpernickel that I know of has a good deal of wheat flour in addition to rye. And is colored by additives (cacao, coffee, and dark molasses).

The Mestemacher pumpernickel comes 11 packets per box. Unopened packets keep good at room temperature for months. Each 8.8 oz packet has 6 dense rectangular slices. It takes some care to separate the slices without breaking them – they’re fragile because rye has much less gluten than wheat. I find a corner that separates a bit, then slide in a table knife blade to complete the separation.

Here’s one of my BLTs (sans lettuce) on that pumpernickel:

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9002 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Jewish rye is the best, IMO. Although, I haven't had good Jewish rye bread since I left Northern NJ.

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

The Mestemacher pumpernickel comes 11 packets per box. Unopened packets keep good at room temperature for months. Each 8.8 oz packet has 6 dense rectangular slices. It takes some care to separate the slices without breaking them – they’re fragile because rye has much less gluten than wheat. I find a corner that separates a bit, then slide in a table knife blade to complete the separation.

I'm not sure but I think I've seen that in the local market. Seemed really heavy relative to other loafs. I'll go back and check again.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you live in the Nashville area go to:

http://russiannashville.com/

They have fresh baked German rye's as well as several inported ryes from Lithuania.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4282 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Nice Jewish Rye. Oh, and when you change things up, try a Rachel, not a Ruben. It's Ruben fixings made with Pastrami instead of corned beef. Paradise.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post