SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm stupid - teach me about rye bread
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm stupid - teach me about rye bread Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Nice Jewish Rye. Oh, and when you change things up, try a Rachel, not a Ruben. It's Ruben fixings made with Pastrami instead of corned beef. Paradise.

I thought a Rachel was Turkey and coleslaw.

ETA: Upon further investigation, it's not clear. I'm finding:
Turkey or Pastrami
Russian or Thousand Island.
Even my suggestion of coleslaw is not in stone.

But I like the turkey, thousand island, and coleslaw.
Rye and Swiss stay constant.

Posts: 7372 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice Jewish Rye. Oh, and when you change things up, try a Rachel, not a Ruben. It's Ruben fixings made with Pastrami instead of corned beef. Paradise.

I've never heard it called that before. I kind of went on the confused understanding that a Reuben could be made with either pastrami or corned beef, but then again, I am a heathen. So there's that.

Regardless, the sandwich you call a Rachel is a damn fine sandwich all the same.

Posts: 17195 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
The word Pumpernickel has funny origin

https://www.merriam-webster.co...tionary/pumpernickel

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
I've never heard it called that before. I kind of went on the confused understanding that a Reuben could be made with either pastrami or corned beef, but then again, I am a heathen. So there's that.

Regardless, the sandwich you call a Rachel is a damn fine sandwich all the same.
One of the best places in the area for this food is D. B. Pickles (D. B. for Daytona Beach). In addition to the excellent NY deli style menu, they are just down the street from Florida Gun Exchange, so it's almost one-stop shopping.

Their menu confirms what ArtieS stated: The Reuben and the Rachel are the same sandwich, except that the Reuben is made the traditional way with corned beef, and the Rachel is made with pastrami. They will also do an un-named sandwich that is made with half & half; a Reuben / Rachel with combination corned beef and pastrami, very tasty.

Although it is a NY style deli, D. B. Pickles is not a kosher place. If you want true kosher, you have to go maybe five or ten minutes further north, to Jerusalem Café on Granada in Ormond Beach. Absolutely kosher. In fact, the menu is printed in Hebrew. Don't ask for a Reuben or a Rachel there, these sandwiches are definitely not kosher.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30716 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:

I thought a Rachel was Turkey and coleslaw.

ETA: Upon further investigation, it's not clear. I'm finding:
Turkey or Pastrami
Russian or Thousand Island.
Even my suggestion of coleslaw is not in stone.

But I like the turkey, thousand island, and coleslaw.
Rye and Swiss stay constant.

Pastrami, coleslaw, Russian dressing, Swiss cheese, and rye bread is a #19 made famous by Langer's Deli in LA.

Posts: 14687 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
One of the best places in the area for this food is D. B. Pickles (D. B. for Daytona Beach).

Thanks for the heads up on that. I've never actually been to Daytona, but I visit family in Brevard about once a year or so. That'll have to be a lunch visit destination. Smile

Posts: 17195 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
One of the best places in the area for this food is D. B. Pickles (D. B. for Daytona Beach).
Thanks for the heads up on that. I've never actually been to Daytona, but I visit family in Brevard about once a year or so. That'll have to be a lunch visit destination. Smile
Technically in Ormond Beach, but Ormond Beach, Holly Hill, Daytona Beach, South Daytona, Daytona Beach Shores, and Port Orange (did I miss any?) are all one continuous metroplex. The only way you can tell that you have gone from one of those cities to the next, is if you happen to notice the sign by the side of the road, and not all streets have signs at the city line.

If you're going to DB Pickles for lunch, continue south just a couple minutes. Florida Gun Exchange is on the same side of the street. Big store, big selection, decent prices.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30716 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Pumpernickel was mentioned above. I'm reading a facebook group named Oklahoma Day Trips and someone is asking where to find Pumpernickel Bagels. I don't think I've ever had one, but it sounds good to me. How about a pumpernickel bagel with smoked salmon. I'm ready for a really good breakfast.

Posts: 11861 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you're going to DB Pickles for lunch, continue south just a couple minutes. Florida Gun Exchange is on the same side of the street. Big store, big selection, decent prices.

Thanks for that. Sounds like the perfect afternoon to me. Cool

quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
How about a pumpernickel bagel with smoked salmon.

That sounds like an amazing breakfast. Never heard of pumpernickel bagels either, but now I think I need some of that in my life.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks for that. Sounds like the perfect afternoon to me. Cool

quote:
How about a pumpernickel bagel with smoked salmon.

That sounds like an amazing breakfast. Never heard of pumpernickel bagels either, but now I think I need some of that in my life.

It's an amazing combination. Pumpernickle is slightly sweet, and it's offset by the salty lox flavor.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

pumpernickel bagel with smoked salmon
I was born in Brooklyn, family lived in a neighborhood where there seemed to be at least one small mom & pop bagel bakery on every block, so bagels of various flavors were the staff of life.

Pumpernickel is fine for bread, great for sandwiches like limburger & onion, etc., but not so great for bagels. With lox, it's a garlic bagel every time. Trust me on this. Second choice might be an onion bagel.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

pumpernickel bagel with smoked salmon
I was born in Brooklyn, family lived in a neighborhood where there seemed to be at least one small mom & pop bagel bakery on every block, so bagels of various flavors were the staff of life.

Pumpernickel is fine for bread, great for sandwiches like limburger & onion, etc., but not so great for bagels. With lox, it's a garlic bagel every time. Trust me on this. Second choice might be an onion bagel.

Didn't know you were born in Brooklyn. My wife lived there until she was 12. Her father was a doctor and they lived above the office in an Apartment.
So, to get back on track, the BEST Corned beef on rye is in Brooklyn. Yes, it is good in other places, just not great.
My wife also claims if the bagel is not made in NY, it isn't a real bagel. I don't agree, but why argue it.

Lately, thinking back to when I was a kid, my mother used to buy Date and Nut bread. I haven't thought about that in 50 years. Now I have a craving for a slice with butter on it.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

Lately, thinking back to when I was a kid, my mother used to buy Date and Nut bread. I haven't thought about that in 50 years. Now I have a craving for a slice with butter on it.

When I was a kid my mom used to make date and nut bread. I have not had a taste of any in over 60 years!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GT-40DOC,

Posts: 6630 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post