SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Once in a lifetime Africa Missionary/Photo safari trip - **UPDATE**Going to Amboseli Kilima Camp - Suggestions/input from those who have been there…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Once in a lifetime Africa Missionary/Photo safari trip - **UPDATE**Going to Amboseli Kilima Camp - Suggestions/input from those who have been there… Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Never been to Africa. just here to say thank you for following the call and thanks for your selflessness. Stay safe.

Posts: 4773 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Boss - been twice, Tanzania, in 2013 and 2015.

What kind of vehicle will you be in - completely open, pop-top Toyota, etc.?

Completely open - you will hand-hold your camera; possibly using a monopod.

Pop-top - what I was in both times. Can support your camera using the vehicle w/sandbags or clamps.

Yes, she is on the hood of our car, and pregnant-

Posts: 9049 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Boss - been twice, Tanzania, in 2013 and 2015.

What kind of vehicle will you be in - completely open, pop-top Toyota, etc.?

Completely open - you will hand-hold your camera; possibly using a monopod.

Pop-top - what I was in both times. Can support your camera using the vehicle w/sandbags or clamps.

Yes, she is on the hood of our car, and pregnant-

quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

Think about a mono pod. Tripods are great but for what your looking at a monopod it better in my experience because it so quick to move and setup, is lighter and doesn't block people in small areas.

229DAK - Don’t have much info on the safari setup yet, supposed to be a top-notch outfit though. Should have more info in a week or two on that. Great pic of the Cheetah!

Comet24/Dak229 - I have a nice Benro CF Monopod that is perfect for travel.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10943 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:a

quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
As a non-Christian, I've been reading this thread with more than a passing interest. My confusion lies in the statement that the OP is going to a country with a well-established Christian church - on a 'missionary trip'.

How do you combine being a missionary with a photo safari?

And why is there a continuing need for missionary visitations to a Christian country like Kenya?

The “mission” portion of this trip is doing work modernizing/updating classrooms at the Africa Nazarene University - I agree in this case it isn’t what I would describe as “traditional” missionary type work, but needed none the less.

Ah, right. Thank you. I'm afraid that I had a mental image of you preaching the Gospel to a bunch of Africans - á la Christian Missionaries of old.

It now makes sense.

Posts: 11329 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flash Guy this is where we need your expertise.

You might search his website,
He had tons of info there.

Heck , he probably has everyone of the pictures that you will be trying to get, and then some

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54653 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Our pop-top Toyota had a rail around the top opening. I used this ball clamp to mount one of my my cameras. Sandbags were also available. Nice thing about the clamp was I could keep it pointed at my subject w/o worry it would fall while scanning the area with binoculars or using another camera.

Often we were very close to wildlife - especially lions. Leopards were another story - very wary of us/vehicles and hence the need for a good telephoto lens.

Coordination with your fellow travelers is important. No one wants others jumping around in the vehicle while they are trying to take photos, especially with long lenses.

If you are in an open vehicle, a monopod (one axis) or a small-ish bipod (two axis) can be of great help in steadying your camera.

Binoculars - have them. Sometimes your tour company will have some in your vehicle. We took our own - Leupold 10x50 (mine) and 8x42 (wife's). Clean every night. Nice thing about having your own - you don't have to share.

And, you probably already know this, when photographing wildlife, focus on the eyes.

Posts: 9049 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a close relative in Nairobi at this (April 21st) moment, also on a missionary trip. She and her husband are visiting missionaries that their sending church supports throughout the interior of Africa. This is not her first trip. She has shared some amazing stories of the changed lives because of the truths of the gospel of Jesus of Nazareth. We (in the USA) have a tremendous tolerance of christianity (for at least a little while longer). There are christian churches on practically every street. It simply is not that way in most places of the world.

Posts: 591 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Bump - update to original post

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10943 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post