SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Once in a lifetime Africa Missionary/Photo safari trip - **UPDATE**Going to Amboseli Kilima Camp - At the airport, waiting to board…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Once in a lifetime Africa Missionary/Photo safari trip - **UPDATE**Going to Amboseli Kilima Camp - At the airport, waiting to board… Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
I am going to Africa in June for a 10 day Missionary trip that includes a three day photo safari.

Since the SF hive-mind is my single greatest source of info, thought I would toss it out to see what info and suggestions folks can share on two topics - Africa (Kenya/Nairobi) in general and for the photos folks, gear input on what worked for you or you wished you had taken.

As for gear, looking for what would give me the biggest bang for the buck as far as being restrained without going full minimalist. Photos are personal use only, don’t expect to have “professional” quality or need of large prints.

I’ve got gobs of gear and in a perfect world I would bring it all and have sherpa to carry it.

I have the following specific questions:

Crop or FF body (mirrorless)? I shoot Canon and have relatively high end bodies in both formats. - crop body pros are size/weight and crop “magnification” FF pros are FF and lower noise. AF system of my bodies are pretty much identical (EOS R7/R6 Mark II) so they are pretty much equal in that sense.

Can ONE body do it all or should they both go?

For lenses, the RF 14-35mm F/4 seems like a lock for wide angle and it’s size/weight makes it able to be tucked almost anywhere. Good to have at no real expense even if I don’t use it.

Telephoto/zoom lenses - I have 70-200mm f/2.8 and 100-500mm as well. Is 500mm/700mm (800mm/1160mm with 1.4x TC on crop) “enough” reach?

I’m tempted to try and get Canon’s new RF 200-800mm if I can before the trip. It isn’t “L” glass, but getting great reviews and might be a better range for “do it all” with fewer lens swaps?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

**ETA**

Got the “scoop” on our destination for the Safari portion. It is the Kilima Safari Camp just outside of the Amboseli National Park. Anyone stayed there by chance?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11227 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Well, sir, you've got bigger balls than I. There's not a chance in hell I'd go to a majority muslim country in that part of the world as a Christian missionary. Nope. I'd prefer my head not be used for a soccer ball. I like it exactly where it is.

Can't help you on the photography gear, but for extra gear I'd pack an M4.

Posts: 20606 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm Angler
posted Hide Post
I've been on 3 photo safaris (Zambia, Botswana and Tanzania) and am returning in June for a 4th (Tanzania, Rwanda and Uganda). Based on your questions, you know much more about technical photography than me, but here is my input.

In a safari car, you will generally get closer than you think to wildlife. That said, a good zoom is awesome for birds. On our last trip and again on the next, I'm taking a Nikon D7100 (crop sensor) with a Nikor 18-300 lens. I shoot on manual and get good shots when my glasses are on straight! I also shoot video from the same platform.

I prefer to travel as light as possible, but with enough to be comfortable/prepared. I always take a knife and multitool, and a fairly decent first aid kit. Most camps have laundry, so 2-3 days of clothing is all I really needed. I also always take a lightweight puffy jacket-it can get cold at night. Avoid black clothes or the flies will think you are a buffalo and bite!

Feel free to email me with any other questions.

Posts: 186 | Location: Park County | Registered: February 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm Angler
posted Hide Post
A few other thoughts: my wife uses Nikon lenses so we had 2 camera bodies between the 2 of us. Autofocus can be tough through grass, so make sure you can quickly adjust. We do take a 200-600mm Tamron lens, but it is not strictly necessary for plains game and is best for birds.

Finally, resist the temptation to get mesmerized through the lens. Take the time to truly be there apart from taking photos. It is an amazing place.

Throughout our travels we never felt in danger, but exercised common sense and good judgment constantly.

A few more from Tanzania:

Posts: 186 | Location: Park County | Registered: February 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in South Africa and Tanzania a few days each for a Kili climb. Definitely a different culture and the third world was apparent even in South Africa. I never felt unsafe along with our guides but definitely would not go out without a trusted local guide who knows what a threat looks like and where to avoid.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 398 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Well, sir, you've got bigger balls than I. There's not a chance in hell I'd go to a majority muslim country in that part of the world as a Christian missionary…

Can't help you on the photography gear, but for extra gear I'd pack an M4.

Actually it is roughly 80% Christian and only ~10% Muslim

As much as I would like to, it seems most countries frown on bringing firearms…

quote:
Originally posted by Rorke's Drift:
A few other thoughts: my wife uses Nikon lenses so we had 2 camera bodies between the 2 of us. Autofocus can be tough through grass, so make sure you can quickly adjust. We do take a 200-600mm Tamron lens, but it is not strictly necessary for plains game and is best for birds.

Finally, resist the temptation to get mesmerized through the lens. Take the time to truly be there apart from taking photos. It is an amazing place.

Throughout our travels we never felt in danger, but exercised common sense and good judgment constantly.

A few more from Tanzania:

You should of asked to the lion to change her grip or turn the other way for you so you outdoor get the cubs face Big Grin

Agreed on not keeping camera glued to face - photos are secondary to the personal experience, but everyone wants to see them and for me even a crappy photo *I* took will cause me to reminisce about the experience.

*P.S.* - Your photos are fantastic! If I can get half of those I’ll consider it a success.

Posts: 11227 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm Angler
posted Hide Post
quote:
You should of asked to the lion to change her grip or turn the other way for you so you outdoor get the cubs face Big Grin

Agreed on not keeping camera glued to face - photos are secondary to the personal experience, but everyone wants to see them and for me even a crappy photo *I* took will cause me to reminisce about the experience.

*P.S.* - Your photos are fantastic! If I can get half of those I’ll consider it a success.

Ask and you shall receive. The lioness had 4 cubs and took them out to sit in the sun at dusk. It was an incredible end to a 12 hour day in a safari car.

Thanks for the compliment on my photos. The subject matter and a good guide made it seem easy.

posted Hide Post
Gustofer thinks this is current. Great film though

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived in Nairobi for 15 years, still have a farm near Naivasha and manage a few organizations in Turkana. Shoot me an email and I'll try my best to help.

Posts: 653 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I was just in Tanzania and Zanzibar in March. My mantra since then and my advice to you is: pole pole.

Year V

Posts: 2674 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thing is, Tanzania and especially Zanzibar, are not Kenya, not even close. South Africa is farther than New York to Texas. Uganda is vastly different than Kenya.

Kenya is Kenya, and trying to compare it to any other country around it is simply not fair, and I've spent considerable amount of time all over East and Central Africa.

Several years ago, a forum member asked if someone who traveled could take his son's flat stanley and take pics. I was honored to be chosen, and over a few months I took pics with it from San Diego to DC to England to Italy to Slovakia to Kenya to Tanzania to Uganda to S.Sudan to Ethiopia and even Somalia.

Kenya is a beautiful country, it's a Christian country, everyone is literate and everyone speaks English...better than most Americans. The mobile networks are solid and if you get MPesa, you can easily make secure mobile payments anywhere.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sooma:
I lived in Nairobi for 15 years, still have a farm near Naivasha and manage a few organizations in Turkana. Shoot me an email and I'll try my best to help.

Lake Naivasha! Fun place to fish!
No B.S., Probably 60 Bass in an afternoon.
1992, the Embassy had a phenomenal Crawfish boil, thanks to the wonderful idiots that tried to "save" that lake.
Is the "Carnivore" still there? Just outside of Nairobi. There was a Mexican Restaurant on the other side of town, not a half bad place.

As to the O.P.:
I was in Kenya (and other places in North & East Africa) in 1991-1992, and a ton has changed since then. The Safari's were a blast. But as a kid, I always loved Marlon Perkins and any wildlife shows. Tsavo was amazing, seeing the Great Migration across the Mara River was cool as hell.

I've never looked at a Lion the same way. There's a big difference between a Lion, and a Lion that works for his food.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8548 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I went on a mission trip to Malawi in 2017, ending with 2 days in the national park. I was sick as a dog. Elephants brushed against our hut at night, I was too sick to get up and look at them.
Take antibiotics to cover several types of bacterial infection: e.g. azithromycin, a cephalosporin that covers gram-negatives; maybe doxycycline.

Posts: 18381 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carnivore is still there, although not nearly as good as it used to be. For really good noma choma, I highly recommend Roadhouse Grill on Dennis Pritt. Local bbq place that is consistently good.

I would not recommend bringing medications that you are not using. You can go to any pharmacy and get broad spectrum antibiotics or epi-pens or any other drugs without a prescription and they are super cheap.

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Jambo, Jambo Bwana.
Habari gani.
Mzuri sana.
Wageni, mwakaribishwa.
Kenya yetu.
Hakuna Matata.

Year V

Posts: 2674 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Good for you! Kenya and Nairobi specifically is the only place on the African continent I really liked and would even consider brining my family. And God is doing amazing things there.

I can’t speak to photography gear, but in general I think you’d be happier with a minimalist approach that allows you freedom to move without worrying about your stuff a lot. Packing for such a trip is an intractable problem where you’ll never feel you got it right, so really you have to ask “would I rather be mad at myself for bringing too much or too little?” In my experience with austere locations where moving around is expected, the answer is usually “I’m happier under-packing rather than overpacking.” Too many people have spoilt unique experiences by losing or damaging a valuable object they shouldn’t have even brought. If camera gear is important, I’d advise bringing the minimum you need.

That’s just my philosophical take on your predicament, worth what you paid for it, but I do hope it’s helpful to consider. Leave room in your bags to return with some coffee from Kenya & Ethiopia (they’ll sell both in Nairobi). Safe travels!

Posts: 2453 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our little Baptist Church is planning a Missions trip to Africa next summer, 2025.

My wife plans to go, but my health won't let me do it. She's done others, leaving me at home, Israel and Greece are two I recall. Not sure she'll be able to go as she is struggling a bit with her health, too.

Our Church sends support to about 90 Missionaries and it is always exciting when they get back to the states on furlough and stop by to tell us how it is going. We had two families of Missionaries from Africa here in February.

Bob

Posts: 1677 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
My take as someone who has never been where your going but has done a fair bit of travel and taken a DSLR on many trips.

First these days I often just take my iPhone. That thing get insane pics of certain things. That said I would 100% pack my DSLR and lenes for your trip. Anything with animals you really want a DSLR or the newer mirrorless.

I would pack a fast zoom lens if you have it. I would also pack my biggest zoom even though it's like a F5 or something at it's fastest.

Think about a mono pod. Tripods are great but for what your looking at a monopod it better in my experience because it so quick to move and setup, is lighter and doesn't block people in small areas.

Just saw your lens list. Definitely take the 70-200mm 2.8. When I did trips to AK and Yellowstone I remember thinking there is no such thing as to much zoom. I have a 150-500mm off brand and can remember a few time thinking this isn't anywhere close to enough zoom. So for lenes go fast zoom and biggest zoom also have something for closer stuff. Then I would add a monopod.

Have fun. Sounds like a epic trip.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16452 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
As a non-Christian, I've been reading this thread with more than a passing interest. My confusion lies in the statement that the OP is going to a country with a well-established Christian church - on a 'missionary trip'.

How do you combine being a missionary with a photo safari?

And why is there a continuing need for missionary visitations to a Christian country like Kenya?

Posts: 11444 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sooma:

Awesome, I will definitely send you an email as I start getting more info and questions.

quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

As to the O.P.:
I was in Kenya (and other places in North & East Africa) in 1991-1992, and a ton has changed since then. The Safari's were a blast. But as a kid, I always loved Marlon Perkins and any wildlife shows. Tsavo was amazing, seeing the Great Migration across the Mara River was cool as hell.

I've never looked at a Lion the same way. There's a big difference between a Lion, and a Lion that works for his food.

Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom was a required family event for me growing up! Always felt a little bad for Jim who always seems to get stuck wrestling the various beasts while Marlin sat comfortably off to the side…

Of course that also taught me the importance of becoming a Supervisor vs. “worker bee” Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
… in general I think you’d be happier with a minimalist approach that allows you freedom to move without worrying about your stuff a lot. Packing for such a trip is an intractable problem where you’ll never feel you got it right, so really you have to ask “would I rather be mad at myself for bringing too much or too little?”

Leave room in your bags to return with some coffee from Kenya & Ethiopia (they’ll sell both in Nairobi). Safe travels!

We will be in a large group and much of the luggage will be left behind during the “Safari” portion. I have no problem stretching “extra” days out of clothing and my “mission wear” consists of synthetics that can be washed and will dry overnight. Going more minimal on the clothes/etc. means I can carry the camera gear needed to properly capture the animals I hope to see without being overloaded.

Insurance will take care of any loss/damage so not going to let that concern pressure me into leaving something that might be important at home.

Selected camera gear will be restricted to a mid-size backpack so it won’t be a burden baggage-wise ands will be my carry-on for the flights.

quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

First these days I often just take my iPhone. That thing get insane pics of certain things. That said I would 100% pack my DSLR and lenes for your trip. Anything with animals you really want a DSLR or the newer mirrorless.

I would pack a fast zoom lens if you have it. I would also pack my biggest zoom even though it's like a F5 or something at it's fastest.

Think about a mono pod. Tripods are great but for what your looking at a monopod it better in my experience because it so quick to move and setup, is lighter and doesn't block people in small areas.

Just saw your lens list. Definitely take the 70-200mm 2.8. When I did trips to AK and Yellowstone I remember thinking there is no such thing as to much zoom. I have a 150-500mm off brand and can remember a few time thinking this isn't anywhere close to enough zoom. So for lenes go fast zoom and biggest zoom also have something for closer stuff. Then I would add a monopod.

Have fun. Sounds like a epic trip.

I have the iPhone 15 Pro Max and agree, amazing camera for a phone but just not enough for wildlife. I’m actually thinking the 70-200mm f/2.8 will be left at home in favor of the 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 and a 1.4x TeleConverter.

With the low light capabilities of my bodies the faster aperture isn’t quite as important as focal length. Also, the RF 70-200mm lenses do NOT allow use of 1.4x or 2x Teleconverters (really stupid idea on Canon’s part if you ask me and almost every other RF user…).

With that limitation, I don’t think the faster aperture and 70-100mm range of the 70-200mm is worth taking it along. The 100-500mm L lenses is getting fantastic reviews for wildlife so I feel comfortable having it as my “big gun”.

quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
As a non-Christian, I've been reading this thread with more than a passing interest. My confusion lies in the statement that the OP is going to a country with a well-established Christian church - on a 'missionary trip'.

How do you combine being a missionary with a photo safari?

And why is there a continuing need for missionary visitations to a Christian country like Kenya?

The “mission” portion of this trip is doing work modernizing/updating classrooms at the Africa Nazarene University - I agree in this case it isn’t what I would describe as “traditional” missionary type work, but needed none the less.

As to the safari portion - evidently our church has a history of including some “tourist” type activities in the trips they plan. This is only my second mission trip, the first one being to Guatemala last November. On that trip we spent a day visiting the Mayan ruins at Tikal.

I imagine including such activities improves the chances of getting people to volunteer for and fund the missions, as well as provide a greater appreciation for the location visited but that is just assumption on my part.

In this case, technically it is just a “safari”. Since I am a camera geek, I am looking at it as a “Photo” safari.

I know for me, it makes such an adventure affordable that would not be otherwise. Being able to take advantage of group discounts, etc. brings cost way down versus planning a “solo” safari only trip.

On my photography forum, folks talk of $8-$10K for a week long Africa trip for Airfare/Lodging/Guides/etc and then have meals and transportation costs on top of that. In this case, the TOTAL cost for me IS less than $5K for two-week “all inclusive” trip including airfare/meals/lodging/transportation/safari. Only out of pocket cost will be souvenirs, snacks, and other insignificant incidentals.

Donating a week of my time painting, setting up computers, documenting the project via video/photos, etc to save $3K or so is the difference between “Gee I would like to got to Africa” and “I WENT to Africa”.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,