SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter possible move to Little Rock Arkansas????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter possible move to Little Rock Arkansas???? Login/Join 
posted
Any help appreciated in suggestions for a place to 23 year old. Going to do CSI work for the state. Anything we need to know? She got a job offer.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 1745 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I know a lot about other parts of the state. You definitely need a local. I know as much to know there are clear division lines of where and where NOT to go. Best of luck to her!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Within Little Rock proper, I can't offer much help other than NOPE.

I would highly suggest, if she can do a commute, look at CABOT in Lonoke County. Apartment? There are two NEW very nice looking complexes in Cabot. House renting, plenty of places. Buying, again plenty of opportunity.

Cabot is really coming into the 21st century and cost of living remains decent. Lots of new places to eat,heck, we're even getting a Chic Fil A here.

Lonoke county is a dry county. Cabot is located along Hwy 67/167 with easy access to I-40 and I-30.

Towns to probably not consider...Jacksonville in Pulaski county, Sherwood (depending on the area), North Little Rock (again, depending on the area)

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Where ever she decides to go, make sure she never runs from the Arkansas State Police. Smile

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard from a lot of people that Little Rock has a lot of crime .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Little Rock expert (I live ~3 hours away), but my understanding is that Little Rock itself is mostly rough, as are the directly surrounding areas like North Little Rock, Sherwood, and Jacksonville, but there are some decent surrounding commutable areas a little further out, like Maumelle, Cabot, Conway, Benton, etc. (Though Little Rock rush hour commute traffic is reportedly horrendous.)

Is she working at the State Crime Lab? If it's an option at some point in the future, I'd recommend she look into a transfer to the newer Regional Crime Lab they recently opened up here in NWA in a city called Lowell. The facility is nicer, and the metroplex area overall is nicer, lower crime, and more vibrant, plus cost of living is a bit cheaper up here (for the time being). But it's also smaller, so jobs might be more scarce/competitive than the main LR campus.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They offered her the ballistic position working with firearms and atf and some data base. She explained it like a data base of dna on bullet guns and cases?

I will ask her rouge. She carry’s a Glock but avoiding trouble first is best.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That sounds like the Firearm and Toolmark Section at the State Crime Lab, and the NIBIN database.

I don't believe that unit has a presence in Lowell yet. I believe they're focusing on just drugs and toxicology at the moment. But there may be a future opportunity as the new NWA crime lab expands.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes NIBIN!!! Could not remember that.

posted Hide Post
I lived in Sherwood when I was stationed there. It has been a little over ten years since I left but it was fine while I was there, maybe things have changed since then? A lot of folks with kids liked Cabot, the school there had a good reputation. I agree with the folks who said to avoid Jacksonville and North Little Rock.

Like Rouge said, the rush hour commute can be horrible if she chooses poorly.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 23 year old daughter just moved there for a lucrative job in computer software. We live in NE Arkansas, and I'm very familiar with Little Rock, as I'm there often, and my older brother just retired from an LE position in Little Rock.

Little Rock, as cities go, is a fine town. She could do much, much worse. My brother said that many people who've moved there from out of state often choose to stay there for the duration of their careers. I love Little Rock, but as with all cities these days, it is changing, and not for the better.

I couldn't agree more with Johnny 3eagles; NOPE to Little Rock proper, but if she must live in LR, make sure it's West Little Rock, but again, I can't recommend it.

Top of the list are Cabot, north of LR, and Bryant or Benton, both just south of LR in Saline County. These are wonderful places, growing, safe, well policed, and with relatively low crime rates. Cost of living is much lower, and the commutes, though often very hectic, are nothing compared to the drives in larger cities. It's all a matter of timing the commutes and using alternate routes, if possible.

The Arkansas State Police presence in LR is exceptional, and LRPD has had a facelift and are moving back toward a pro-enforcement model after the departure of a recent chief.

My 23 year old daughter lives in West Little Rock, which is pretty upscale; however, she lives in an apartment complex, surrounded by the usual suspects with the usual issues. If you would like to email me, please feel free to do so and I'll provide you with more specifics of what we're dealing with. Again, Cabot, Bryant or Benton are far better location choices for her than Little Rock proper.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
Grew up in Conway, which is nice, but 30 miles away. I'd second the vote for Maumelle. Easy commute to LR.

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post