SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Check engine light?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check engine light? Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
2013 Silverado 5.3 light pops on. Had truck scanned and gets P0442, leak in Evaporative Emissions System. Have it set up for service next week.
Seems like the remote start quit working at same time. Using the proper sequence, lock button- doors lock and lights flash- then hit start button-lights flash: nothing, no start.

Does the check engine light being on prevent the remote start from operating?

If I disconnect the battery will that reset (turn off) engine temporarily so I can try the remote start?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4136 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Yes, on the GMs with factory remote start they will not remote start with a check engine light.

Evaporative system may just be a gas cap no tight enough.

Tighten the gas cap and reset the codes and see if the light comes back on.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25428 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
The gas cap was tight, had burned over have a tank of gas before light came on and cap was tight when I filled up yesterday
And I believe for loose gas cap once it is tightened it automatiacly resets the the check engine light. Drove it about 25 miles after fill up.

Posts: 4136 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I used to work as a service advisor at a dealership. 75% of the check engine lights we saw were evap codes for loose gas caps. Try drive cycling the vehicle (city, highway, etc) for like 50 miles or so and it might reset itself. Basically, when the car does its diagnostic at startup, it saw something emission wise that it didn’t like. Could be because it was cold out and its air / fuel mix was a little off or the emissions past a sensor were too rich.

Does it run ok?

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the gasket on the cap as well; I had one that was cracked and it caused the seal to fail no matter how tight the cap was. Chased that issue longer than I care to admit to.
s.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There also is the possibility that the gas cap has worn out and can't make a good seal. It might be worth a try to replace the gas cap.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2003 Silverado 5.3 has thrown P0442 codes for years. Gas cap isn’t the problem and I’ve always cleared the code each time with my reader. Sometimes returns in a few days, sometimes not for months. Has no effect on mileage, drive ability or anything else I can detect. Doesn’t seem to be important enough to worry about. Only downside is that it needs to be cleared each time in case a more critical check engine parameter shows up.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will disconnecting he battery reset the CEL (check engine light)?
I don't have a code reader, would have to go to auto parts store again.
Truck has <70k miles on it.

Picture of 383stroker
posted Hide Post
Along with the gas cap there is a evap vent solenoid underneath the vehicle and a evap purge solenoid on top of the intake, These three are the most likely source for that code. recently retired but with 29 years as a tech I can't count the number of GM purge solenoids I have replaced.

Posts: 1041 | Location: East of the DFW Metromess | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
This is what a $20 code reader from WalMart is for. Heck, if you have WalMart+ they’ll even ship it to your house for free. Like a multimeter, portable 12v air compressor, and a plug kit; it’s just one of those tools you should own.

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 383stroker
posted Hide Post
Yes, exactly why I have a couple on top of my Modus ultra. Like to have one in my vehicle at all Times.

Posts: 1041 | Location: East of the DFW Metromess | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Agree with above ~ replace the gas cap or if it is fairly new retighten and retest.
If fixed, it will go off in time/miles.
An ODBII scanner is a valuable tool, even if you are not a mechanic.
You can reset the light as well with the tool.
A lot of free-scan places like AutoZone usually will refuse to reset any CEL.
I have saved thousands of dollars by fixing things that it quickly zeros in on.
I refuse to spend so much money at the dealer service when I can fix it.
Some items get complicated or difficult due to the particular problem but a lot of items such as sensors going out can be fixed for a fraction.
Good Luck

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Check engine lights are the embodiment of idiotic UI design. Mashing up engine-related and non-engine-related symptoms, urgent infrequent issues and trivial frequent ones into one indicator.

What happens is you get trained that "Check Engine" light is nothing to worry about, because often it's the gas cap. But 'often' is not 'always'. Wink

Hypothetical automotive engineering design discussions follow.

/sarc on
Baseline design criteria:

1) Disregard all other equipment and capabilities on the car, like sensors, processors that could run diagnostics, screens that could display text and graphics based on what the diagnostics found, audio systems that can beep and play audio. Yes, we know what the sensor is telling us and what it means but why share that with the driver?

Why? First, using any or all of those features to provide details and context would make it too easy to tell just what we were trying to say. What is this, the 21st century? Plus, if we did this we'd have to have different logic for each car model depending on capabilities. Sounds a lot like work to design, build and document.

Core mission statement:
Gather all possible signals, whether trivial and transitory like gas cap sealing or critical like engine seizure immanent, or whether they have anything to do with the engine whatsoever (see gas cap) and pass them through one crappy LED to illuminate the traditional words, "Check Engine".

Engineering goals:
1) Use up the 95,000,000 yellow plastic "Check Engine" bezels still in inventory from when the geniuses in Procurement stocked up in 1988.

2) Help prop up dealer service revenues for easily cleared gas cap issues and the incremental major work from drivers who ruined their engines by having been trained to ignore the "Check Engine" light.

/sarc off
99% sure this is sarcasm.

Posts: 15032 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Silverado 5.3 has thrown P0442 codes

It is most likely the charcoal canister. My 2012 suburban did this, i changed gas cap and code kept popping up. watched some you tube videos and they all said change charcoal canister. I did that and no more issues. It is an easy fix to change it out, just dirty. took about 1/2 hour.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'd check the evap purge solenoid. This is the usual cause of this code. If it doesn't operate it will not pull vacuum in the tank. One quick test is to disconnect the wire and the plastic line, start the engine and feel for vacuum. There should not be any. There are other things that can go wrong with it, but this is the easiest.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget this is a *regulatory* issue. Any malfunction in the emissions control systems will throw a yellow check engine light, and in many cars and light trucks disables cruise control, traction control, remote start, and various other features to get you to take the car in for service.

It doesn't say it's the evap system and nothing that will hurt the engine, because then people wouldn't bother to get it fixed and emissions would be out of spec (OMG!).

Disconnecting the battery for a little while will clear it.

It is interesting that modern engines are so clean that the majority of unburned HC emissions are from evaporation of gas in the tank and not unburned gas out the exhaust (like from a rich mixture on an old pre-emissions car). As usual, the gov't achieved it's goal of extremely clean IC engines only to go way past the point of diminishing returns.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very common issue with GM, purge valve. canister. and a 13 in MI could be a rusted pin hole in gas tank neck or a metal line or rusted fuel pump ring on top of tank.
It sucks the cel disables the auto start, Toyota it also disables the cruise and traction control and lights up the whole dash to get you to fix it.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imfrogman:
quote:
Silverado 5.3 has thrown P0442 codes

It is most likely the charcoal canister. My 2012 suburban did this, i changed gas cap and code kept popping up. watched some you tube videos and they all said change charcoal canister. I did that and no more issues. It is an easy fix to change it out, just dirty. took about 1/2 hour.

Yup, some models, this is one, don't like the fuel being topped off after first click on fill up. The vapors go to the canister when filling, topping off gets some fuel in the valve and canister, over time it has had enough and says screw it. If you fill on cold mornings and park it on a hot day the fuel expands enough to cause problems also.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I had the code last year at this time (2010 Silverado 5.3). I replaced the evap canister, solenoid and gas cap. I still had the code. As it turns out the line that comes off the fuel pump was rusted with a hole in it.
After installing a new fuel pump the code went away but it took a month for the truck to pass inspection as the computer wouldn't reset. Finally after 400 miles it cleared. During that time no lights or codes.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post