SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Football coach suspended for helping boy find housing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Football coach suspended for helping boy find housing Login/Join 
posted
The story below makes me crazy. I cannot understand forbidding help for any kid in distress.

http://www.fox13news.com/sport...ert-weiner-suspended

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable. It’s too bad that the people who done out suspensions and fines, don’t have the common sense to see when someone is just being a decent human being.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
What a shitty reporting job. What did he do? No details at all.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I understand the intent of the rule so they're not obtaining housing/guardianship in district as a recruiting tool. However, as reported (assuming correct):
  • the kid had no guardian anywhere inside or outside the district
  • the team has zero wins. It's obviously not a systemic practice (there would be more than 1 violation) and not like his impact on practice squad made team winners.

Really seems like the coach was being a decent human being and yet another instance where policies have too slow of a review process for exceptions (next year which is after the season).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of dlc444
    posted Hide Post
    I am very familiar with this as my daughter goes to that school.

There is a little behind the story that is not clear, but in the end, the kid was homeless, or about to become so. He was not a first stringer, and he was provided housing that happened to be in the right zip code.

The person responsible (a dear friend) self reported so there would be no issues, but apparently, no good deed goes unpunished. This person has helped more kids with unfortunate family circumstances than you can imagine.

Sucks for Coach, but it is under appeal. They are really bad this year, 0-5. Not like they gained an advantage.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
    It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Go Plant HS Panthers. (kids go there now...)

One of the best public high schools in Florida.

Very impressed by PHS so what this coach did doesn't surprise me.

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    So helping someone would land you in trouble nowadays, what would jesus think of this generation ??

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN. | Registered: February 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of konata88
    posted Hide Post
    There are rules. And then there is intent. The rules are to avoid bad intentions. And not good intentions. At least that’s the way it should be.

Don’t good intentions count for anything as anymore? Isn’t it stupid to blindly apply rules without considering intent since rules are generally written by idiots in a idiotic way?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
    "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Coin Sniper
    Picture of Rightwire
    posted Hide Post
    The law of unintended consequences...

No good deed goes unpunished....

You pick, but the blind application of rules without proper consideration is a byproduct of current society.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37965 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post