SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Heading to the 'Burgh for a bit, need the normal intel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heading to the 'Burgh for a bit, need the normal intel Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
So due to a change in employers (heading back to a past employer) I will be living in Pittsburgh for at least a year sans wife and son. Good thing is my older boys live up north so I hope to see them more often. Also I love W. PA and it is on our short list of places to retire to....mind you it would be NW PA but still.

Anyway, initially I will be staying north of the city near Cranberry and will probably look for a place 20-30 miles north once I get settled. I will be traveling to Indy as well as I will have crews there so maybe a bit of Indy intel would be appreciated as well.

Looking info on the following;

Good rifle ranges, I know PA gamelands have public ranges but they can be hit or miss. I would love to find a 200m range and I don't mind joining a private range if needed. Willing to travel a good bit for a good range.

Pistol range - again looking for a good place possibly a private one.

Gunsmith - If the year I spent in AZ on my own is any indication I spend a lot of time on gun projects so a good gunsmith will be needed.

Gunstore - prefer a place with a good used selection

I have considered just getting a place close to the boys, maybe even talking the 19yo (sophomore in Uni) into renting a place together but 80+ miles suck when winter hits I79.

I think I am up on the PA carry laws and my TX and FL permits are good there. Anything changed recently....besides the stupid mayor.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You'll need to go to the "O" in Oakland, and have some fries for me.

http://www.theoriginalhotdogshop.com/

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27005 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Cambridge Ohio has a couple 1000+ yard ranges. Thunder Valley has a target at a mile. They have several good competitions with targets out to 1196 yards, last time I was there. They have a head hunter competition that's a blast.

Ace in Washington is a nice store, I bought a M21 off of him.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

Order the large size! Smile

Posts: 6496 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
http://mcdonaldsportsmen.com/index.htm

Not far from Pittsburgh and reportedly the range used for Jack Reacher scenes...

Posts: 23517 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

Order the large size! Smile

That will make my cardiologist cringe.....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I''m sure others will have better info, but here goes:

Cambridge, Ohio is ~120 miles from Cranberry, allow at least 2-3 hrs travel depending on traffic.

Ace Sporting goods is a great place, but is ~45 minutes away. McDonald, PA ia about the same distance away.

Near Cranberry I know of:
Keystone Shooting Center
PA Game Commission Public Shooting Ranges
Millville Sportsman's Club does have a 200 yd rifle range
North Side Sportsman's Association - site claims to have a long range rifle range.
Beaver Valey Rifle & Pistol Club has a 200 yd range.

This should get you started.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I live smack dab in the middle of where you described, and I can't answer a single one of your questions. Not much into guns as an active hobby anymore. When I faded off of them, I liked Dukes in New Castle. Sportsman's Supply in Butler used to be good, but all the used stuff goes online now. We used an outdoor range in East Butler, and strip mines back in the day.

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of family in Mt. Pleasant / Latrobe area. As far as shooting goes, I am a member of The Hecla Sportsmans Association. A member of my family has been a member there since it was a coal mine. Very simple but adequate range facilities. On any given day you will have the place to yourself. The 65 cent draft beers are a plus. I will be there tomorrow as a matter of fact.

Johnson's Gun Depot in Norvelt is a great little shop with an amazing used gun selection. If you ever want to check any of these places out, let me know.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I'm a ways south, in the "south hills".

Ace Sporting Goods pretty much has everything. If they don't have it, you don't need it. Not sure if they have an armorer.

A new shop opened in the Mt. Lebanon area, Allegheny Arms. It's a smaller shop, but their prices are on par with online dealers. They do have an armorer, and they've always answered any question I've ever asked. Most of the employees seem to be prior military. They are also a Class III dealer.

Anthony Arms is by Allegheny Airport. They have a decent selection, average prices, and an indoor range that allows up to .223. They also have an armorer.

You literally can't drive in 20 miles in any direction around Pittsburgh without driving past a private "sportmans club". They are all over the place. Membership is on an annual basis, but they are fairly cheap. But they generally require you join, and have a reference or two. But you get range use and can bring your own ammo.

I just found out there is a place in Washington County that rents full auto guns. I'm taking my son there for his 16th birthday. http://www.washingtoncountyguns.com/

You'd have to double check, but they are pretty lenient with out of state CCL's.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Albion area sportsman club about two hours from Pittsburgh. Albion Pa.

300 yard range. Dues are $20 per year.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Keystone is a very nice semi-private club and range. I swore off the gamelands range. The last 2-3 times I went there I saw some crazy dangerous stuff.

Duke's is a great LGS. There is also Outlet Firearms just off the Grove City exit on I-79. Real nice people and his used stuff is really clean.

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While in Pittsburgh, if you can find a few bottles of this Beer, which I believe you will like. Brewed not too far from Pittsburgh...

http://straubbeer.com/?age-verified=5b7481eb3f

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'm about 34 miles north of Cranberry Township and about 1 mile from Duke's Sport Shop. Let me know if you're going to be in New Castle.

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Adsociation forum, pafoa.org that might be worth posting to or at least lurking on for Western PA intel. While there are tons of sportsmen’s clubs, not all are open for new membership, so that might be a challenge. You will find a club, it just might take a few trips to club meetings to figure out where you can fit in.

Of the clubs mentioned, Millvale Sportsmen’s and Northside Sportsmen’s are both nice clubs, but I do not believe they are even accepting new members without a waiting list.

There are quite a few LGS to visit, in all directions around Cranberry and the region, and there are regular gun shows and gun bashes, if you are interested. Gun bashes seem to be a Western PA/Tri state thing, but fun to attend and always great for chances to win guns. Keystone Shooting Center is a top notch retail shop, yet to see if they will be aggressive enough with pricing to be more than a pretty shop. Another tactical business, INPAX, opened in North Hills but not as far north as Wexford or Cranberry.

Shotgun sports are also popular and there are many gun clubs that are open to the public for trap, skeet, five stand and sporting clays.

I don’t use the State Gameland ranges, have just heard too many horror stories plus they have three round mag limits.

I would also tell you to consider Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsmen’s Club. It’s not really near Cranberry, but they have all the ranges you could need, plus an indoor pistol range as well. It’s not hard to get to, which is saying something for Pittsburgh. I am a born and raised Pittsburgh resident, and I work a block away from the Original Hot Dog shop in Oakland, feel free to reach out for any other information.

Posts: 218 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
My range was A&S in Youngwood which is a trip but they did all my transfers cheap

Gunsmith was Josh Rowe at Allegheny Gun Works (he’s a Beretta guru)

Favorite places to eat:

Thai: noodle head in shadyside
Steak sandwich: Goucho’s in the strip
Pizza: Larry and Carols...I dare you to get the King Kong
BBQ: Union Pig & Chicken east liberty
Mexican: Emiliano’s in South side
Cheesesteak: Sam’s (multiple locations)
Best food truck: Pittsburgh Taco Truck

Primanti’s is meh in my opinion

Places to drink: Jack’s in South side, Bacon night at Harris Grill in Shadyside, Mardi Gras in Shadyside, Ten Penny downtown

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
Albion area sportsman club about two hours from Pittsburgh. Albion Pa.

300 yard range. Dues are $20 per year.

I never knew, I drive 6N all the time when home.

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info...all of it.

Should be in late Jan I figure.

Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
There's a brand new range by the Doubletree in Cranberry and a beer distributor on the other side of it. We went back home in August for a wedding and stayed at that Doubletree.

Just found it - Keystone Shooting Center

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post