SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Superior intellect??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Superior intellect?? Login/Join 
posted
Last night I chose to buy a couple of lottery tickets at a local convenience store. I handed the clerk a filled out form with the numbers I wanted to play and asked for one ticket for Wednesday and one ticket for Saturday's drawing. He then came back and handed me 2 tickets with the same numbers for Wednesdays drawing. I asked him to correct this and he looked puzzled and said, "You've got twice as many chances to win double the money." That may be correct if there were multiple matches on the same numbers (I'm not sure about the rules in that case) but I told him that is not what I asked for and wanted it the way I requested. He did correct it after a bit of grumbling. Is this an indication of our present education system or just plain not giving a crap? In our area the stores do not pay too badly and many of the employees seem to stay at the stores for more than short term so I am tending to blame this on lack of common sense rather than education but might be mistaken.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2892 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
One of my coworkers plays the lottery pretty regularly. Nothing crazy. Just the same numbers once a week. Mind you this is not powerball or mega millions but some other game.

Anyway, a couple of years ago he forgot that his wife had already bought the tickets so he went and got them himself. Their numbers won. Lucky for him they had two tickets with the same numbers and got double the payout. $100,000 each I believe. Not bad.

Anyway, so I suppose the clerk was at least right in that regard.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:...Is this an indication of our present education system or just plain not giving a crap? ...

It's both.

And I am really weary of it.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43912 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would of taken the tickets. The voices heckle sometimes but only a fool ignores them.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13406 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Although you would split any top prize with yourself, anything less than the top prize would result in a double payout. The clerk wasn't necessarily demonstrating low intelligence other than his mistake in filling the initial request.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
The clerk wasn't necessarily demonstrating low intelligence other than his mistake in filling the initial request.

That seems likely to me. He screwed up, and maybe it's a real pain to execute a refund for a lottery ticket. Maybe the store, or even the employee has to eat the cost, as the state simply may not allow refunds.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
So, this clerk, would he rather buy 100 tix of the same number or 100 tix with different numbers?

Actually this should be still one chance to win double the money: "You've got twice as many chances to win double the money."

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12746 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That kind of error is just the product of native stupidity. Those people have always been with us, I am afraid.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
So, this clerk, would he rather buy 100 tix of the same number or 100 tix with different numbers?

Actually this should be still one chance to win double the money: "You've got twice as many chances to win double the money."

Splitting hairs really. You are trying to rationalize the odds of winning the lotto. The clerk screwed up and rather than process a return for a $1 ticket he made a case for the OP to just keep the extra ticket. His logic was not horrible with regard to the outcome if the OP were to actually match a few numbers and win a prize less than the grand prize. In fact, if that ticket were to remain in circulation, not be cancelled somehow, the OP would be guaranteed to lose half of the grand prize should all of his hand picked numbers match up. So, for $1, the OP should have probably just kept the 2nd ticket unless he was confident that the ticket was cancelled.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yea, being very specific and as articulate as possible to the dreadlocked dufus at the counter, I once requested one number for five drawings. I often do this to avoid having to stop and buy a ticket so often. But what I got was five different numbers for one drawing Roll Eyes Yea, maybe her manager shouldn't allow employees to be on their phone while waiting on customers...
Multitasking fail LOL!. I just kept the ticket and started stopping somewhere else.

Maybe once the tickets are printed they can't be canceled and the issuer may have to eat them. I base this solely on the local mart leaving mistake tickets laying on the counter by the register and them trying to sell them to other customers... I have asked and paid for a ticket before, and had them just pick one up off the counter and give me.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post