SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else deal with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else deal with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I work on a computer all day. My right hand is howling with tingling pain much of the day and I've had to switch to a roller mouse. It actually bothers me most at night when I'm trying to sleep. Turning the crank on my fishing reels gets painful reel quick.

I wear a wrist brace some days and that helps. But usually even OTC anti-inflammatories don't help much. Besides surgery, anyone had any luck with anything else besides braces and OTC meds?

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Bishop Of Death
posted Hide Post
I had the surgery back in 2005 and would recommend that you get it done. Wear the brace every night, and during the day when you can as it will help.

Under Construction

Posts: 362 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I am going in Tuesday for the release surgery on my left wrist. I can hardly wait! The last few nights have been horrid.
I got a shot in each wrist back in May and that provided great relief and my right wrist is still doing o.k. A good thing but stop gap answer at best. I wear a pair of braces each night without fail.

My surgeon says that now is the time and that long term and more serious damage will occur if we don't act now. Hell, I was ready last May!

get it checked out and see what they say. Google WALANT surgery and see the newest technique. It is like visiting the dentist.

Posts: 2547 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
The shot was some sort of steroid.

Posts: 2547 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I had surgery on both wrists back in the 90's. It was so bad I couldn't sleep, drive or pretty much anything. Recovery from surgery sucked, but my hands feel better to this day and I use a computer all day every day.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I had it done in 05 too, get it done, I had both hands done. The relief was immediate. The recovery isn't bad either. The test to diagnose if you need surgery(EMG?) is much easier now too. Good luck, but get it done!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Did it in my left wrist 6 years ago. I still get weird cramps in it every now and again. I notice it when I'm holding a kitchen knife and chopping or mincing things. Also if I shoot too long I get cramps in it. Anything where I grip something tightly too long.

Best advice I can give anyone is do not wait too long. It sounds like you may already have. When I first got diagnosed they wanted to start me out on cortisone shots but acknowledged I would eventually need surgery.

My hate for the needle and common sense told me if I'm eventually going to need surgery lets just cut to the quick and get 'er done!

Doc looked kind of surprised and said "ok but most people prefer surgery as a last resort. Well I'm not most people.

It's the one and only surgery I have ever had in my 63 years on this planet and because I get these weird cramps still I'm not entirely impressed with modern medicine.

I remember laying on the operating table just before they put me under and the gas guy asked me if I was ready. I seen my doc off to the side on his lap top. I said "Hey doc"! He turns and looks at me and says "yes"? I said " You're the first one to get to me with a knife since they cut the umbilical cord make it count would ya"?
He looked at me with a smile and said "Good night now Mr. lastmanstanding"

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Here is an article about relief and their product:

PEA and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Another placebo-controlled study of PEA involved subjects with carpal tunnel syndrome, a common and painful condition that results in tingling, weakness, or numbness in the hands. Carpal tunnel syndrome arises when inflammation-induced swelling presses on nerves that extend through a narrow space in the wrist.16

In this study, subjects received either no treatment (control), or a dose of either 600 mg or 1,200 mg PEA daily for 30 days.16 Measurements of nerve conduction were made at the beginning and at the end of the study to develop an objective measure of how effective the PEA treatment was.

A nerve conduction test that runs fast indicates significant pain signals are being generated at the sore site.

This study of carpal tunnel syndrome patients demonstrated that PEA induced a slowing of conduction along the median nerve, which stimulates much of the hand and conducts back pain signals.

These improvements in the nerve conduction test are clinical indicators of the inflammation-reducing, function-improving properties of PEA with regard to chronic pain.

In this same study, PEA recipients reported reductions in symptoms and discomfort compared with control subjects.

Pain relief when compared with patients receiving no treatment or placebo is a key finding. The next question scientists sought to answer was: How does PEA stack up against a proven painkiller (ibuprofen)?

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...Chronic-Pain/Page-01

http://www.lifeextension.com/V...item02202/ComfortMAX

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got it in both hands years ago. OTC anti-inflammatory did nothing and I'm told made things worse actually. Same with braces during the day.

Found a good doctor that understood carpal tunnel who ordered special braces to wear only at night. These braces completely immobilized from forearm to start of fingers. Fixed some ergonomics at work so I didn't have my wrist bent for mouse or keyboard work as well. Six months later I was fine. Doctor said if that didn't work after several months, surgery was the next option.

That's been about 20 years ago. I'm careful with ergonomics and haven't had it come back.

Posts: 2371 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I started a data input job a few months ago, and noticed fairly quickly I was going to have problems. Ergonomic pads didn't help all that much. I ended up switching to one of those heavily contoured ergo Microsoft keyboards and that helped. But I also switch the mouse from my dominant right hand to my left, and that has helped a lot.

Posts: 2020 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Had one done some years back. Had it done on a Friday of a long weekend and was back to work on that Tuesday.
No big deal, get it done and be done with it.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Won't repeat my own Hx of such recently posted in the acupuncture thread.

I long delayed bilateral surgery seeking relief via other Tx. Blessed relief so far permanent (14 years) post surgery. Only a recent & minor touch of returning complaint infrequently.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I work on a computer all day. My right hand is howling with tingling pain much of the day and I've had to switch to a roller mouse. It actually bothers me most at night when I'm trying to sleep. Turning the crank on my fishing reels gets painful reel quick.

I wear a wrist brace some days and that helps. But usually even OTC anti-inflammatories don't help much. Besides surgery, anyone had any luck with anything else besides braces and OTC meds?
Use the wrist brace every day. The rest of my advice is in the anecdote below.

When I graduated college, oil & gas was downsizing including the company that I had interned 3x.

I took a job as a custom design engineer for about 1.5 years, and was in CAD at least 5 hours a day (1990s CAD required lots and lots of clicking with the mouse). After about a year of this, I had a major carpal tunnel flare up going and my employer didn't have ergonomic anything or willing to spend any money.

My solution was to teach myself to use the mouse left handed. It was a pain in the ass to learn to mouse left handed doing precise mousing like CAD, but I prevailed. The good news is that carpal tunnel is a repetitive stress disorder and eliminating the repetitive stress alleviated the inflamation. The flare up completely went away, and I never needed surgery.

Thankfully, a few monthly later my internship called that they had downsized too far and offered me a job (I'm still employed by them 20+ years later). I have access to tons of ergo stuff (vertical mice, sit stand desks, ergo keyboards, etc.), but I'm now ambidextrous and I've found it's still the best thing for me. I use the mouse left handed at work, and use the mouse right handed at home. I also have a travel mouse that I use in meetings and when traveling because using the laptop touch panel created other ergo issues for me.

In other words, if I were you I'd get a left handed mouse / roller mouse (I prefer vertical mice) and get a left handed fishing reel. Quit doing repetitive tasks with your right hand.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23329 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have been borderline for the past few years - however I had a rather substantial flare up in early March that forced me to do most everything left-handed. That was a failure.

The first thing that seemed to reduce or eliminate about 80% of the pain was to get an ergonomic mouse pad. The relief was immediate.

The major pain point for me was the elbow and while that was reduced, its obviously NOT getting better so I asked several people and they suggested getting one of those compression elbow bandages. It works to a certain extent but makes the day manageable.

At one point I could not extend my arm and pick up a cup of coffee.

This led to a post I made about 10 days on acupuncture, and I've located a practitioner nearby and will be meeting up with her on Monday to discuss if there are any opportunities for relief.

Will keep you posted.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
tator

are you using a 66 degree or a 90 degree mouse?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel in both hands, along with ulnar neuropathy in both elbows. All I can say is the surgery did wonders for me. I had issues with my right elbow and had to get ulnar transposition done afterward, then developed a small neuroma, but that has since been medically resolved. The surgery was 100% worth it to me and provided tremendous relief.

Posts: 1636 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Try wearing your wrist braces at night while sleeping.

I found that in my sleep I was clenching my fists and rolling my hands inward. Wearing the braces while sleeping let the tendons, nerves, or whatever heal.
It also broke me of the habit of rolling my hands in.
Been 20-25 yrs and no more problem.

Glad I didn't get any surgery!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4140 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friend at work had it done. One wrist, then a few months later the other. Full recovery. He said his doc said the longer you wait the more likely you will have permanent impairment.

Posts: 530 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It's a 10 minute surgery with minimal sedation...or no sedation. Just do it.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
Had both done about 10 years ago. About three days recovery after each one. If yours is that bad just get it done. Let it go on long enough and that tingly feeling won't go away even with surgery.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post