SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Granholm EV Road Trip Turns Into Elite Entitlement Clown Show
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Granholm EV Road Trip Turns Into Elite Entitlement Clown Show Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Next someone needs to explain to these uninformed fools that the primary source of the electricity they are trying to provide comes from hydrocarbon burning power plants.

Posts: 9544 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
My wife and I are house hunting right now. What a downright depressing, soul crushing experience.

Yes it is! We just sold our home and are under contract to buy. Prices are high right now, riding the coat tails of the last year. Our agent is really worried about the next year, with sales really slowing this summer and prices starting to drop. Our agent even suggested we rent for a year rather than buy, but we're too old to play that game.

Being a resort area, very many homes are 2nd homes that rarely are visited, and almost all the townhomes and condos are nightly rentals. Only 30% of homes are full time owner occupied in our zip code! Next year will be a great time to be a cash buyer in Park City.

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The inevitable EV implosion
By Ron Ross

The electric vehicle honeymoon is over. Don’t expect the marriage itself to last much longer either.

The mass conversion from internal combustion engine vehicles (ICEs) to electric vehicles was never more than a Democrat/environmentalist hallucination anyway. It was the most ill-conceived government policy objective in modern history.

The transition should have been a non-starter. It’s riddled with numerous deal killers. It’s like having a dozen fatal diseases all at the same time.

Any goal as massive as a total conversion from ICE vehicles to EVs requires careful planning and infrastructure preparation. It would necessitate a rapid doubling of electricity generation and grid expansion. In today’s world that’s impossible.

EV promoters could never deliver on their promises. Their grandiose assurances were nothing more than wishful thinking.

There was no market research. Hmm -- I wonder why. There were no feasibility studies. Hmm -- I wonder why. Did they actually believe everyone would tolerate spending hours to charge their vehicles rather than the minutes they were accustomed to?

Car dealers are resisting further deliveries of EVs because of swelling inventories. Avis and Hertz can’t even get people to rent EVs! Yet, manufacturers are ramping up production just as consumers are balking. Something will have to give, and soon. EV makers and their shareholders will tire of pouring money down a rathole.

We are spending trillions of dollars on a fabricated dream, all for imaginary payoffs decades in the future.

When the EV house of cards collapses what will the reaction be? Ordinarily, for normal persons, it would be a time for regret, rethinking, and humility.

It would be good if the Democrat/environmentalist true believers learned something from the EV debacle. However, the same utopian blindness that caused this fiasco will prevent any lesson-learning on their part. We are more likely to see them doubling down instead.

https://www.americanthinker.co...le_ev_implosion.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24172 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
quote:
My wife and I are house hunting right now. What a downright depressing, soul crushing experience.

Yes it is! We just sold our home and are under contract to buy. Prices are high right now, riding the coat tails of the last year. Our agent is really worried about the next year, with sales really slowing this summer and prices starting to drop. Our agent even suggested we rent for a year rather than buy, but we're too old to play that game.

Being a resort area, very many homes are 2nd homes that rarely are visited, and almost all the townhomes and condos are nightly rentals. Only 30% of homes are full time owner occupied in our zip code! Next year will be a great time to be a cash buyer in Park City.

So he thinks next year is a better time to buy? I'm seriously at a loss as to what to do. We NEED to get into a bigger place. My condo was great when I was single but not so much with a family of five. It's impossible to find anything appealing to us within an hour of where I am now for under $850,000. I know that sounds nuts, but that's what the implants from California have done to this housing market. Damn democrats.

Anyway, sorry for the thread drift. I'm just venting.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30430 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I notice Granholm did not return to the Yoop for her trip. In the entire U.P. there are a grand total of 13 quick chargers. But... Great news! They are going to add 2 more in MQT and 3 in Munising. But in the rest of the Yoop, bring your portable generator! Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

So he thinks next year is a better time to buy? I'm seriously at a loss as to what to do. We NEED to get into a bigger place. My condo was great when I was single but not so much with a family of five. It's impossible to find anything appealing to us within an hour of where I am now for under $850,000. I know that sounds nuts, but that's what the implants from California have done to this housing market. Damn democrats.

Yes. Her agency as a whole are expecting a significant price drop, as well as very few sales. This is the Kimball Jct to Old Town and Deer Valley areas. We didn't discuss Pinebrook, Summit Park, or Jeremy Ranch in particular. She says the inventory is usually about 3 months, but is now at 12 months and increasing. Partly it is pricing being too high because owners are wanting what they could have gotten last year when things were booming. The agents are adjusting prices down on their listings, and if you look on Zillow you'll see a ton of listings have price reductions.

Properly priced homes are selling quickly. Then the rest sit for month after month overpriced. We listed at the going $ per square foot and sold before the listing hit the internet via word of mouth through agents. Our buyers are from out of state, no surprise. Good for us, we made a nice profit (but the taxes are vicious!). Our new home will be paid off and our retirement funds will be topped up.

I don't envy you trying to find an affordable decent family home these days, especially if you're trying to avoid the Wasatch Front.

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
They are trying to push us into EVs. I would guess their next step is to create shortages and gas lines of the 70s. So the time waiting for fuel will be longer then the time at a charging station.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
quote:

Alan,
Feel for your situation. I've been following the SLC and Vegas markets closely for the last few years as I want to end up back out that way once the elder care commitments have been met. Just watched a Youtube (I know) by George Gannon last night. He did a really good job of explaining how housing prices have historically have always returned to the mean when compared to the inflation rate. That basically, historically housing prices have matched inflation and this goes back to like 1890. It's currently significantly higher and he was showing that we are very likely due for a +- 40% reduction in prices nationally. He also did say, housing prices don't crash like Black Monday in the stock market. It's more of a click, click, click down over a few years. But the good new for those of us looking to buy it that it looks like the process has started. For what its worth, I think he is worth following. Like his analytical approach with facts.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The goal is isolation and civil discord. The double whammy of extreme gas prices and lack of charging infrastructure cannot be anything but a structured plan at this point. The combination of the two will limit how far you are able to travel, both from high cost and extremely limited ability to charge higher numbers of EV’s. All part of the plan.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15620 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

There was no market research. Hmm -- I wonder why. There were no feasibility studies. Hmm -- I wonder why. Did they actually believe everyone would tolerate spending hours to charge their vehicles rather than the minutes they were accustomed to?

market research would be counterproductive until the market is sufficiently indoctrinated

Posts: 2790 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post