SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First US Army female Green Beret makes the local news...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First US Army female Green Beret makes the local news... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I’m going to go ahead and guess that the Army is NOT amused right now. Like the SEAL’s a few years ago, far too many “Green Beret” stories recently.

First female Green Beret accidentally discharges firearm in her home

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12344 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Hope she is better at eating snakes than handling firearms...LMMFAO

Posts: 2168 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Was cleaning it, and it just went bang.

Q

Posts: 26443 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Not my fault, it just went off by itself. Wink

Best shooting lesson I ever saw was in the navy when a GM1 (Gunners Mate, First Class) pulled out his 9mm, unloaded it, set it on the table and asked, "is this gun dangerous?" A resounding "no" from the class. (Note, we were in the ship in a steel room. )

He then loaded and chambered a single round, set the weapon on the table and asked the question again. Once one of junior ladies calmed down enough when in the presence of a loaded weapon, she emphatically stated it was a very dangerous situation and the GM1 needed to pick up the weapon and unload it.

GM1 spent 15 seconds trying to convince the girl how the weapon does not become dangerous until someone picks it up. Getting no where, we were instructed to all leave the space to go in a tour. The weapon was not touched, the space was locked and, the girl in question given the key. Atter 30 minutes or so we returned. The girl would not open the space because of how unsafe it was inside there knowing a loaded weapon would be present [and magically shoot someone].

The girl did not get pistol qualified nor was she ever allowed to handle a weapon of any sort. USS Tarawa, circa 2000, middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:

Prob caught it on her nail extensions...........

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Story" does not give much facts or information.

If she were preparing to carry, and inserts mag, "following all the correct procedures", pointing gun in a safe direction (adequate stop), and for any number of reasons a round were unintentionally discharged, why is any of this anyone's business?

How many stories has anyone read in the past month of any other inadvertent/unintended discharge in anyone's home?

Point being, why is this news, other than to shine a dim light on this person because she is female, and "first female in the Green Berets"?

Many of my neighbors are GB/SF folk, so I am going to have a few discussions and get their opinion.

I am a betting person and will bet there have been a couple handfuls of ND/AD incidents in people's homes and never made a "news" report.

In her "private home", and unless she was required and did not report the incident to her unit, then it ain't nobody's business but her own.

And to the Blue Falcons who talked about Fight Club, fuck 'em.

If there is a "problem in the unit" with her, then deal with it in the unit.

If you don't like the response to your complaint, either take a big bite of the shut the fuck up sammich, or find the exit.

Or maybe I owe someone an apology.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43912 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
why is this news

Exactly.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Best shooting lesson I ever saw was in the navy when a GM1 (Gunners Mate, First Class) pulled out his 9mm, unloaded it, set it on the table and asked, "is this gun dangerous?" A resounding "no" from the class. (Note, we were in the ship in a steel room. )

He then loaded and chambered a single round, set the weapon on the table and asked the question again. Once one of junior ladies calmed down enough when in the presence of a loaded weapon, she emphatically stated it was a very dangerous situation and the GM1 needed to pick up the weapon and unload it.

GM1 spent 15 seconds trying to convince the girl how the weapon does not become dangerous until someone picks it up. Getting no where, we were instructed to all leave the space to go in a tour. The weapon was not touched, the space was locked and, the girl in question given the key. Atter 30 minutes or so we returned. The girl would not open the space because of how unsafe it was inside there knowing a loaded weapon would be present [and magically shoot someone].

The girl did not get pistol qualified nor was she ever allowed to handle a weapon of any sort. USS Tarawa, circa 2000, middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Stupid twunt should have been drummed out of the Navy.

Posts: 3158 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Absolutely! She would be a severe hazard in any kind of conflict.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
why is this news

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
To push somebody's stupid agenda. A green Beret on active duty shot three people in a Rockford Bowling Alley. People are already dismissing that as PTSD without knowing ANY of the facts.

What she did was negligent.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
why is this news

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
To push somebody's stupid agenda. A green Beret on active duty shot three people in a Rockford Bowling Alley. People are already dismissing that as PTSD without knowing ANY of the facts.

What she did was negligent.

Are we sure that guy in Wi. was SF? I know he was assigned to an SF unit, but judging by the words used, I interpreted it as "assigned to" not necessary a patched SF dude.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I was on the Tarawa in '98 on a West Pac with the 11th MEU. Good times, curious if this occurred during that float.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are we sure that guy in Wi. was SF? I know he was assigned to an SF unit, but judging by the words used, I interpreted it as "assigned to" not necessary a patched SF dude.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I reported what I read. It is easily checked he is out of Eglin AFB I believe. In any case it does not change the narrative. Sigmonkey resides in the area, he may know in time.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could have found this yourself. Here you go:
We are shocked and saddened to learn about this tragic event and our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those killed and wounded,” said Col. John W. Sannes, commander of 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne).

Webb is a Special Forces Assistant Operations and Intelligence Sergeant assigned to 3rd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), located at Camp Bull Simons, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida. He joined the Army in 2008 and was on leave when the shooting occurred.

posted Hide Post
Well it may not be news to some people but it is an incident and of public record.

It was probably announced on the local news just like every other ND, DUI, etc..

Even though it happened in a civilian jurisdiction and being handled by civilian authorities there is a good likelihood that CID will be contacted and a report will be filed.

Also her command will be notified.
She could be charged with discharging a weapon within city limits.

She may have a TS clearance and if that is the case the next time she is re-investigated this will definitely come up. When I was conducting security clearance investigations for soldiers there were a myriad of things/incidents that had to be addressed.

With the new direction of the Army, this could be a career ended if it was a regular joe, or a male SF soldier.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a giant nothing-burger compared to all the other bigger issues currently blowing through the Army SOF community. I would not be surprised if there's a massive stand-down for med checks and such.

Between the bowling alley bar shooting in Rockford, the two hour armed-standoff with the former 1SFG commander and the shit-show double-murder at Ft Bragg earlier this month, there's a lot of shit going on.

Two men found dead at Fort Bragg identified as USASOC master sergeant and Army veteran

Armed Green Beret colonel allegedly had two-hour standoff with police before surrendering

Posts: 14672 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
(edited, to state, I was typing after "mrapteam666's" reply, so I did not see "corsair's" reply until I posted. Our guys and gals on the wall are tired. Americans are tired. We the People... need each other. Do what you can, where you can. You'll know.)

What I know, I won't speak about, except he is "the real deal".

And it would be appreciated if the issue of PTSD is not ridiculed. I have personally experienced issues with people that deal with this, from family, friends and neighbors (all my life). I see more blue and red lights than I can stand in my neighborhood. My youngest daughter is good friends with a guy that lost both legs and one arm. He worked hard for years to keep his shit wired, and had outreach programs to assist both other wounded* vets, (*both visible and invisible), and also training and pairing both dogs and vets. He has had many set backs, and has lost everything a few times as a result, but just gets back up and soldiers on again. And most everyone will tell you, they are nothing special. That other's have hardship and events that give snakes a place to live in one's head.

Not excusing this guy's actions, only saying that people react differently, and if anyone could predict how someone might act, or react to anything at anytime, they could apply for God's job.

When a guy or gal who has signed "that blank check..." loses it, and does something like this or steps off to see the turtles, it is like losing people to operations, and it just sucks ass.

Another request for those who pray, and maybe find your list of things short. Add this.

To the rest, meditate and think of these folks, and hate the hurt.

(insert what Forrest Gump would say...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43912 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ksss:
quote:
quote:

USS Tarawa, circa 2000, middle of the Pacific Ocean.

I was on the Tarawa in '98 on a West Pac with the 11th MEU. Good times, curious if this occurred during that float.

It was the cruise where we followed, sort of, the WWII ampib assault path to include "visiting" Iwo Jima, Betio IS., Solomon Is, etc.

During the actual shooting we did the shotgun qual/fam. Shooting at a 8.5 x 11 piece of paper (simulate center mass) from 15 yards, a different girl next to me shot 5 rounds - not one pellet hit her target. I messed with her forever after that.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I guess my first thought was if the performance standards/requirements are the same regardless of gender. And then will the consequences be the same regardless of gender.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Must have been one of them Glocks. The go bang on their own. Wink

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post